12 replies to this topic

#1 june27

june27

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

Today I tried my first attempt at gluten-free baking from scratch. I have been reluctant to try with all of the bad things I have heard about gluten-free flour (I realize that it has come a long way, so I had high hopes). I was able to substitute all-purpose gluten-free flour + xantham gum into my old recipe for double chocolate zucchini bread. I also substituted gluten/dairy free choc chips. Recipe can be found here:
http://www.cooks.com...-252206,00.html

The result was much better than I expected. It was a little less sweet than I remember - which is kind of a good thing. Overall, I would call it a success! Yay me!!

(I needed to share with someone, and most gluten-folks just wouldn't appreciate how exciting this is...)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

I'LL be the judge of that !!

(I'f you'll be kind enough to send me a piece?) :lol:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 june27

june27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

I'LL be the judge of that !!

(I'f you'll be kind enough to send me a piece?) :lol:

I would gladly send some, but I am not sure how well it will travel :)

#4 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

June... Yay...happy for you! I've gotten all the ingredients and hardware...tomorrow is baking day! I've got 4 recipes I'm going to try (my 1st attempts)... The offspring is leaving on Sunday for a week on the cape... I'm hoping to be able to make him a few things when he comes back... ;)

#5 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Good for you, June!! :D

I think the best success comes from converting our previous gluten recipes. When I first started baking gluten-free, I tried a gluten-free banana bread recipe and it didn't taste quite right to me . . . but it wasn't the gluten-free part, it was the "this isn't my recipe" part.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#6 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

I'm very proud of you. I have yet to attempt to bake from scratch, I mean I never even baked goodies before no gluten. :lol:

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

Good for you! Now that you have confidence just think of what your future holds. Soon you'll be baking bread and croissants! :) FYI brownies, cookies and many cakes are very easy to make gluten free. Far, far better than bought, as you have found out.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

Today I tried my first attempt at gluten-free baking from scratch. I have been reluctant to try with all of the bad things I have heard about gluten-free flour (I realize that it has come a long way, so I had high hopes). I was able to substitute all-purpose gluten-free flour + xantham gum into my old recipe for double chocolate zucchini bread. I also substituted gluten/dairy free choc chips. Recipe can be found here:
http://www.cooks.com...-252206,00.html

The result was much better than I expected. It was a little less sweet than I remember - which is kind of a good thing. Overall, I would call it a success! Yay me!!

(I needed to share with someone, and most gluten-folks just wouldn't appreciate how exciting this is...)

This looks awesome! So, please share with us what flour mixture did you use and how much xanthan gum?
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#9 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

A big YAY from me also. I was hoping you would post and let us know how things went. Glad you are off to a good start.:)

#10 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Great going!!!! There's nothing like the feeling of confidence & satisfaction that success gives you is there? You've turned a corner my girl & the future is bright! YAY!Posted Image

Applause, applause!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#11 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Crap. I've got everything but the nutmeg... :(

#12 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Crap. I've got everything but the nutmeg... :(

While it may not be quite the same, can you just skip the nutmeg and add extra cinnamon?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#13 june27

june27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:20 AM

Thanks for all of the great support!!

Bread will be my next hurdle. Since I have never really cooked bread (without my mom's supervision as a kid), I suspect there might be a few duds before getting that one edible. But, that's OK - all part of the learning process.

@freeatlast - I used Bob's "all purpose baking flour" (4c) and 1 tsp xantham gum. the flour package says 1/4 tsp xantham gum for each cup of flour.

@justlisa - I am sure it would be fine with no nutmeg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: