#1 AmyB22

AmyB22

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

Hi everyone,

New to the board, fairly recent diagnosis (November 2011). I assume there are many people struggling with so many symptoms, so i was happy to find this forum. In my case the brain fog and weight loss is the most difficult to manage. Looking for suggestions from others with celiac disease. Thank you.
Diagnosed celiac disease November 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hi Amy. I'm new myself. The only advice I can give is to stay strictly with whole foods, naturally gluten free. No processed foods at all. This will also make sure trace gluten is not getting to you thru food (thinking of the brain fog) Also is Dairy or another ingredient causing you trouble?

Just things to think about. Good luck to you. :)

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

turkey-hiding.gif

#3 AmyB22

AmyB22

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi Amy. I'm new myself. The only advice I can give is to stay strictly with whole foods, naturally gluten free. No processed foods at all. This will also make sure trace gluten is not getting to you thru food (thinking of the brain fog) Also is Dairy or another ingredient causing you trouble?

Just things to think about. Good luck to you. :)

Thank you. Not sure about dairy. Im thinking i am not doing such a great job in managing this. I just avoid food. I was a 3000 a day eater and loved food and snacking. When i became sick last fall, my biopsy showed a raging case, yet i had no pain, and very few symptoms. It was quite strange, and docs were a little baffled as well. It seems this forum will be very helpful.
Diagnosed celiac disease November 2011

#4 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

I was just recently diagnosed (in May of 2012) and I was putting on a lot of weight before my diagnosis. All throughout college I was about 120lbs and just before diagnosis I topped out at 155lbs (I'm 5'3"). Just like you, never had any GI symptoms and the diagnosis was a total surprise. Diets and exercise never worked and I just kept packing on weight slowly but surely. Since going gluten free, exercising more, and being more conscious of what I eat, I've lost 15 pounds since May and I hope to lose some more! I also started seeing a nutritionist who is experienced with Celiac and that helped me a lot too. It seems that before I went gluten free, even though I ate a good amount of food (most of it contained gluten) my body went into starvation mode because it wasn't able to absorb any of the food I was consuming. Now that my body can absorb more, I think my metabolism has gotten much better and I'm able to start losing the weight.

My suggestion to you is eat whole foods - meats, fish, poultry, fruits, veggies, and nuts. I eat some gluten free substitute foods but I try to stay away from having too much because they often have too many carbs and calories which don't make the weight loss any easier. Drink a lot of water - I have about 12 cups per day, and that should hopefully help too....best wishes and let us know how you're doing!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#5 RuskitD

RuskitD

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

You might also 'test' yourself for other foods your body cannot tolerate. I learned that here, at this site, and found many that I reacted to. When I keep those things out of my diet, I can drop 2 lbs a week, easy. I found I am extremely sensitive to corn in any form. A "contaminated" pill or a bit of citric acid (which is usually corn based in the USA, and seldom even listed on a label!) will shoot the scales right back up 5-10 lbs. And I am back to where I started in weight loss.

It can't hurt to test yourself, then you will know for certain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: