Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

1 Wk. Gluten-Free: Lack Of Appetite Normal?

• Please log in to reply

16 replies to this topic

#1 heathenly

heathenly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

I'm one week off gluten (again) after my brief gluten challenge, and I am just NOT hungry. I've been forcing myself to eat a couple of small meals each day because my stomach rumbles and I can tell my body is hungry, but the thought of food usually makes me feel slightly gross. I'm making delicious homemade mostly whole-foods meals, but nothing really tastes amazing, and after I eat I feel like I could have just as happily NOT eaten. Also, it's been a week, and the bloating is just now abating. Is this normal; my gi tract just trying to heal? Or does the loss of appetite stay?

I'm not complaining too much... after all, I have 15 pounds of gluten weight to lose, and a closet full of clothes that I miss wearing... (also miss having cheekbones and one chin)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 heathenly

heathenly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

I should stop lying. I never had cheekbones.

#3 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

I'm one week off gluten (again) after my brief gluten challenge, and I am just NOT hungry. I've been forcing myself to eat a couple of small meals each day because my stomach rumbles and I can tell my body is hungry, but the thought of food usually makes me feel slightly gross. I'm making delicious homemade mostly whole-foods meals, but nothing really tastes amazing, and after I eat I feel like I could have just as happily NOT eaten. Also, it's been a week, and the bloating is just now abating. Is this normal; my gi tract just trying to heal? Or does the loss of appetite stay?

I'm not complaining too much... after all, I have 15 pounds of gluten weight to lose, and a closet full of clothes that I miss wearing... (also miss having cheekbones and one chin)

It sounds like your body might be trying to heal again, but as you know its important to get nutrients. I've been drinking homemade beef and chicken broth and my nutritionist says that its a great way to heal the GI tract while still getting some nutrients. Its really helped me with my bloating too. Maybe this could be helpful to you?

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#4 heathenly

heathenly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

That sounds like something I can handle! I have to stop waiting until I get shaky before I eat something...

#5 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

:P :lol: LOL

My appetite is less off gluten that it was prior to diagnosis. I have been mostly gluten-free for for a month (with a few accidents) and I find I'm not nearly a hungry as I was before. I used to get the shakes evry couple of hours if I didn't eat and it was hard to feel full. Now I actually forget to eat for 4 or so hours and I still feel fine.

I'm going with it! LOL I'm down about 6-8 lbs this month and without that bloating, I feel almost slim... almost next to slim... well, I look better. LOL

I think it can't be too unusal to lose your appetite... hope it's not anyways.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

Lmbo... LOVE this! Made me smile... :)

#7 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

Btw, I don't have the same appetite, either. I attribute it, mostly, to the healthier, whole foods that comprise my diet.

I do want to ask, though...what's your state of mind? Emotions? Are you grappling with melancholy, depression, etc?

#8 heathenly

heathenly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

Nope. Feel great. Just waiting for that increased energy that I had last time I went gluten-free.

#9 peacefirst

peacefirst

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

I would just trust my body and maybe even juice fast for a bit. Healing takes lots of enegry and digesting food takes so much, that not eating actually helps, and juices(freshly made, not from the bottle)nourish you pretty well in terms of micronutrients.

#10 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Nope. Feel great. Just waiting for that increased energy that I had last time I went gluten-free.

That's good to hear! Then, perhaps just some time gluten-free will do the trick... :)

#11 order

order

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

I am not jungry at all either, and I have the exact same thing. I'm allergic to wheat, an 10 days ago, I removed it from my diet. Ever since,... I force myself to eat, but I really don't have an appetite. I guess this is pretty normal then. I have no idea if we'll ever be hungry again though! Only time will tell.

#12 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

You'll get hungry.

Yes, it's normal to through stages like this when withdrawing a food your body doesn't like.

Equally normal to be ravenous.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#13 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Sometimes when I know I need to down something but really don't have an appetite, I will throw a vanilla yogurt, a banana, some frozen pineapple, and frozen strawberries in the blender with a little milk for a smoothie.  The probiotic is helpful with staying regular, the calcium from the milk is helpful, and the fruit just tastes amazing.  

It took me awhile to get my appetite up.  A long time...  Finally did though...  Now, there are some varying theories regarding dairy products early on in your diagnosis.  I still used them.  Couldn't tell you if it helped or hindered but as long as I wasn't reacting adversely it was one more food group I could eat.  Additionally, my nutritionist at Mayo Clinic was fine with my consumption of dairy.  Have a smoothie!

Good luck.

Diagnosis 11/2012

#14 DerpTyler

DerpTyler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

iv been gluten free for about 8 years and i found my appetite to increase significantly when i went gluten-free, weird

#15 Caroline5757

Caroline5757

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

I completely lost my appetite about 3 months before I was diagnosed. Now I've been gluten free for 2 months and it has yet to return. I'm 17 and this whole thing is making me loose a tone of weight and i dont need too. I used to eat all day everyday and now I force myself to eat, and I try to make myself eat a lot so I can gain some weight back. I'm just never hungry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: