This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

1 Wk. Gluten-Free: Lack Of Appetite Normal?

heathenly

heathenly Apprentice

I'm one week off gluten (again) after my brief gluten challenge, and I am just NOT hungry. I've been forcing myself to eat a couple of small meals each day because my stomach rumbles and I can tell my body is hungry, but the thought of food usually makes me feel slightly gross. I'm making delicious homemade mostly whole-foods meals, but nothing really tastes amazing, and after I eat I feel like I could have just as happily NOT eaten. Also, it's been a week, and the bloating is just now abating. Is this normal; my gi tract just trying to heal? Or does the loss of appetite stay?

I'm not complaining too much... after all, I have 15 pounds of gluten weight to lose, and a closet full of clothes that I miss wearing... (also miss having cheekbones and one chin)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

heathenly Apprentice

I should stop lying. I never had cheekbones.

LauraB0927 Apprentice

I'm one week off gluten (again) after my brief gluten challenge, and I am just NOT hungry. I've been forcing myself to eat a couple of small meals each day because my stomach rumbles and I can tell my body is hungry, but the thought of food usually makes me feel slightly gross. I'm making delicious homemade mostly whole-foods meals, but nothing really tastes amazing, and after I eat I feel like I could have just as happily NOT eaten. Also, it's been a week, and the bloating is just now abating. Is this normal; my gi tract just trying to heal? Or does the loss of appetite stay?

I'm not complaining too much... after all, I have 15 pounds of gluten weight to lose, and a closet full of clothes that I miss wearing... (also miss having cheekbones and one chin)

It sounds like your body might be trying to heal again, but as you know its important to get nutrients. I've been drinking homemade beef and chicken broth and my nutritionist says that its a great way to heal the GI tract while still getting some nutrients. Its really helped me with my bloating too. Maybe this could be helpful to you?

heathenly Apprentice

That sounds like something I can handle! I have to stop waiting until I get shaky before I eat something...

nvsmom Community Regular

:P:lol: LOL

My appetite is less off gluten that it was prior to diagnosis. I have been mostly gluten-free for for a month (with a few accidents) and I find I'm not nearly a hungry as I was before. I used to get the shakes evry couple of hours if I didn't eat and it was hard to feel full. Now I actually forget to eat for 4 or so hours and I still feel fine.

I'm going with it! LOL I'm down about 6-8 lbs this month and without that bloating, I feel almost slim... almost next to slim... well, I look better. LOL

I think it can't be too unusal to lose your appetite... hope it's not anyways.

justlisa Apprentice

Lmbo... LOVE this! Made me smile... :)

justlisa Apprentice

Btw, I don't have the same appetite, either. I attribute it, mostly, to the healthier, whole foods that comprise my diet.

I do want to ask, though...what's your state of mind? Emotions? Are you grappling with melancholy, depression, etc?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

heathenly Apprentice

Nope. Feel great. Just waiting for that increased energy that I had last time I went gluten-free.

peacefirst Rookie

I would just trust my body and maybe even juice fast for a bit. Healing takes lots of enegry and digesting food takes so much, that not eating actually helps, and juices(freshly made, not from the bottle)nourish you pretty well in terms of micronutrients.

justlisa Apprentice

Nope. Feel great. Just waiting for that increased energy that I had last time I went gluten-free.

That's good to hear! Then, perhaps just some time gluten-free will do the trick... :)

• 9 months later...
order Newbie

I am not jungry at all either, and I have the exact same thing. I'm allergic to wheat, an 10 days ago, I removed it from my diet. Ever since,... I force myself to eat, but I really don't have an appetite. I guess this is pretty normal then. I have no idea if we'll ever be hungry again though! Only time will tell.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You'll get hungry.

Yes, it's normal to through stages like this when withdrawing a food your body doesn't like.

Equally normal to be ravenous.

eers03 Explorer

Sometimes when I know I need to down something but really don't have an appetite, I will throw a vanilla yogurt, a banana, some frozen pineapple, and frozen strawberries in the blender with a little milk for a smoothie.  The probiotic is helpful with staying regular, the calcium from the milk is helpful, and the fruit just tastes amazing.  

It took me awhile to get my appetite up.  A long time...  Finally did though...  Now, there are some varying theories regarding dairy products early on in your diagnosis.  I still used them.  Couldn't tell you if it helped or hindered but as long as I wasn't reacting adversely it was one more food group I could eat.  Additionally, my nutritionist at Mayo Clinic was fine with my consumption of dairy.  Have a smoothie!

Good luck.

DerpTyler Newbie

iv been gluten free for about 8 years and i found my appetite to increase significantly when i went gluten-free, weird

glutenfree7562 Newbie

I completely lost my appetite about 3 months before I was diagnosed. Now I've been gluten free for 2 months and it has yet to return. I'm 17 and this whole thing is making me loose a tone of weight and i dont need too. I used to eat all day everyday and now I force myself to eat, and I try to make myself eat a lot so I can gain some weight back. I'm just never hungry.

slickdaddy0077 Newbie

I am 10 days into a gluten free diet and I have noticed that I don't feel like munching constantly. 2 good healthy portions of a meal, 1 around 11am and the other around 5pm and i'm full. Have lost 75% of the bloated belly and 5 lbs. I'm not sure what this means but I'm not near as hungry as I was 10 days ago.  Good luck and let us know.

slickdaddy0077 Newbie

I too don't have much of an appetite and am less than 2 weeks into my gluten-free diet. When I do eat, I'm full with a lesser amount of food and for a longer duration. I eat at about 11:00am and then again at 6:00pm. No munches anymore either. Not sure if this will continue or balance out. I have about 5 lbs to lose so this should be a good thing?

Archived