• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

I went out to eat for the first time since being diagnosed celiac a month ago. I thought I did everything right. I googled gluten-free restaurant options first, checked out the menus in advance, and picked a restaurant that has a well respected menu... I decided on Halo (in Calgary). It didn't go well.

I talked with the waiter and let him know I couldn't eat gluten. He brought me the much smaller gluten-free menu. OK. I ordered cedar planked salmon with roasted potatos, carrots and zucchini, and me an my friend split a greek salad (came on 2 plates), and reminded the waiter to tell the kitchen of my needs. It was wonderful food, sooo tastey, but about 15 minutes into the meal (when I was 3/4 done) I started to get the stomach ache. I didn't believe it. Had 2 more bites and couldn't deny it any longer. About an hour later the bloating and pain came and now the migraine is here. :(

I'm so disappointed that my first try didn't work out. Sooo disappointed. And bummed that my healing gets pushed back another week or so too. Grr. <_<

Oh! I also had a fruity drink! Crap. I never have those. It was a strawberry daquiri (sp?), the first one I've ever had... maybe they made it with some fruity gluteny syrup! Argh. That was probably it, right? UGh,where's the smiley icon for virtually smacking your head on a table?! LOL
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

So sorry - no fun at all, but unfortunately very common :(

Perhaps it was the drink, but I'd guess cross contamination in the kitchen and/or gluten in seasonings on the salmon and potatoes or salad dressing. Could be a bit of each.

No smacking of the head icon needed -- what we need is for restaurants to become educated about gluten handling issues...truly they are the ones that need a gentle slap upside the head -- oops I meant we need to help educate them further ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

The first thought that went through my mind when I read this post was that you did not fail - you did what you could. I, too, believe that it was most likely cross contamination. Maybe give it some time before you eat out again. And there is a good chance next time will be successful! :D Eating somewhere other than your own home is always a risk, unfortunately. :( Do not beat yourself up for this, either. Realize that this happens and that today is a new day.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

Thanks Lisa and love2travel. Luckily my symptoms are not as extreme as many others so it only puts a damper on my days.

I'm away on vacation pretty quick so I'm planning lots of coolers full of food so I feel well. I'm sure I'll eat out and hopefully next time I'll have more luck. :rolleyes:
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Piccolo

Piccolo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

It was cc. You had your fish in the cedar plank. That is porous wood and it is used for other foods.

Susan
Dairy/Cesain free Oct. 2005
Gluten free June 2006

#6 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

I thought that if you cooked on planks you used them once, or for one meal, and then tossed them. Not that I cook on cedar planks, but you buy in them in packages from the store for home use, for pretty cheap.
I could totally see restaurants having their own large, restaurant plank or something though. Have you worked in a kitchen where wood planks are reused susan?

Strawberry daiquiri made from a syrup probably has artificial and natural flavors, which may contain gluten, and it would have been my first guess of gluten.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#7 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

I thought that if you cooked on planks you used them once, or for one meal, and then tossed them. Not that I cook on cedar planks, but you buy in them in packages from the store for home use, for pretty cheap.
I could totally see restaurants having their own large, restaurant plank or something though. Have you worked in a kitchen where wood planks are reused susan?

Strawberry daiquiri made from a syrup probably has artificial and natural flavors, which may contain gluten, and it would have been my first guess of gluten.

You do use cedar planks only once as they char a lot, even with much soaking, and become pretty useless. In good restaurants the same thing but who knows with others? :huh:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Thanks Lisa and love2travel. Luckily my symptoms are not as extreme as many others so it only puts a damper on my days.

I'm away on vacation pretty quick so I'm planning lots of coolers full of food so I feel well. I'm sure I'll eat out and hopefully next time I'll have more luck. :rolleyes:

This celiac stuff certainly takes a lot of planning! I hope your vacation is even better than you expect. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: