24 replies to this topic

#1 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Just for a moment imagine you were the healthy one and you heard or saw these things:

I accidentally licked an envelope, charged to the bathroom with my tongue out. Rinsed my tongue. Then I spent two days with fatigue.

Would you believe that?

I was in the same room where someone was using barley flour. I irritably complained that it made me dizzy and swollen.

Would you believe that?

I caught a wiff of vinegar and got dizzy, nauseated, and felt weak.

Yeah, right. Would you believe that? Doesn't it sound strange?

I planted the barley, which I could no longer mill and eat, in the garden for cover crop. Now each time I weed the garden my arms come in full of allergic rash.

Be honest would you believe this stuff?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

Envelope glue does not contain gluten. It is one of those myths spread on the internet.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

My family has seen my many reactions. It's hard to understand, but reactions are real.
Things we used to do and not suffer from are suddenly making us very ill. I can't believe it myself sometimes! :o
It seems like some bad dream that we can't wake up from.

How about the avoiding kisses? Constant counter/stove wiping, hand washing, label reading(of eveythng!), wanting your own tv remote because the other one has orange Cheetos dust on it? :lol:

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

My family has seen my many reactions. It's hard to understand, but reactions are real.
Things we used to do and not suffer from are suddenly making us very ill. I can't believe it myself sometimes! :o
It seems like some bad dream that we can't wake up from.

How about the avoiding kisses? Constant counter/stove wiping, hand washing, label reading(of eveythng!), wanting your own tv remote because the other one has orange Cheetos dust on it? :lol:

Cheezit dust at my house! The ceiling fan remote has a strangely familiar orange stain on it.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

I know the envelopes don't have gluten, but they always make me feel a bit queasy if I lick too many. That and they just taste nasty.

#6 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

I have my husband lick the envelopes just because I can. Hehe.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

My favorite that I've had to say is.....

(To weight trainer)
"I'm sorry, by mistake I ate oats today and now my knees are swollen and can't move...so I'm going to have to take it easy today..."

(Blank stare and crickets chirping) :)

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#8 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

The envelopes may not have gluten in the glue, but we all know from watching Seinfeld they aren't safe to lick. A sponge is safer and and easier too.

gluten-free with celiac is very different from other people though. They don't have to read labels on everything they eat, or be careful of what restaurant they eat at, or avoid minute bits of gluten in their home etc. Shoot, they don't have to be careful of what kind of beer they drink for that matter.

I think at first it is easy to be maybe a little too concerned with possible gluten contamination, but that is a good thing when learning about avoiding it for the first time. It helps keep people alert to the possibiltiy of gluten being around. So they probalby do a better job of avoiding it. And when people are new to the gluten-free diet, they often have reactions to many foods because their GI system is in a state of change/healing. So it may seem like they are being glutened when it is perhaps a bit of adjustment turmoil. Not that hat is pleasant or easy to deal with or anything. It can be tough.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#9 codetalker

codetalker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:15 AM

The envelopes may not have gluten in the glue, but we all know from watching Seinfeld they aren't safe to lick. A sponge is safer and and easier too.

Sponges can be used...but only if you are worthy. :)

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:36 AM

:D :D :D
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#11 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:36 AM

I have my husband lick the envelopes just because I can. Hehe.

Lol I lick my own envelopes, but I will slobber all over every finger on my hands just to spread it on the strip! EWww yucky! Maybe I should wear gloves when opening mail :unsure: you know just in case other people think like me...And yet I am such a germaphobe I wash my hands every time I touch anything in the kitchen for example. Only makes cooking gluten free in a gluten filled house even slower.

Does anyone else wash their hands after each cracked egg? Just wondering
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

Does anyone else wash their hands after each cracked egg? Just wondering

Yep and with any ingredient change in the recipe and when I first get home and before I start cooking and when I am done. For me it doesn't have anything to do with gluten though as that was how my Mom taught me to cook.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#13 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:30 AM

I know that it's outrageous and crazy, but I won't shake hands with anyone or touch anything at church before the sacrament. If I'm going to touch something that is going in my mouth, I wash my hands then touch NOTHING. Everyone at church probably things I'm just a little bit nuts. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#14 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

:D :D :D

Dang it, I knew there was a catch! Maybe next year then.. :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#15 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

Speaking of the source of that, I had a real-life "can you spare a square?" thing happen to me while in an airport bathroom. The woman in the next stall asked, "Do you have a square to spare?" I said, "No. I have no square to spare." But I really did. We went on and on. We had no idea who each other was but it was amusing to us as well as others who were sniggering in the bathroom. :)

Sorry - nothing to do with the topic at hand. :rolleyes:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: