4 replies to this topic

#1 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

I should preface this with I need to lose about 30 pounds. The best I felt in my life was on Atkins, ie low carb, high fat 7 years ago. I seem to have little luck with low calorie, low fat eating as far as weight goes. After the first few days I was great with great labs to back it after a year. GB was removed 5ish years ago when the docs thought my celiac issues were GB. I seem to alternate with fat metabolism issues. For the last 7ish days I have been back on Atkins but I do not seem to be able to elevate the fat content to a lc level. At times when I eat high fat I have very noticeable abdominal bloating, nausea, and the backend issues. I have had a single egg produce the GI bloating a couple of hours later. I am curious if a lot of my celiac symptoms I feel with gluten-free are from the fat intolerance.

I have tried to keep the fat to just egg yolk, 94% fat free ground beef, and olive oil.

The bile acid supplements caused me severe heartburn even at a lost dose. Lipase seems to have no effect.

The question I have is if I am just out of luck ever going full lc or is there an approximate time frame where I will have a normalized fat metabolism? I am curious if I should just stay lc and suck it up so to speak with the side effects or stay low fat, low calorie for a while and try it again or quite frankly try something else.

I think what I am thinking in me head while also asking out loud if it does not sound better to not worry about the numbers on the scale now, got low fat, and low calorie and just give the gut time to heal without stressing over weight.

On the positive side, I have been very serious about being gluten-free for a while now after being a moron about it off and on.

Hopefully some of this makes sense, because I think I confused myself writing it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Perhaps you need to be seriously gluten free for a longer period of time to have your gut heal and allow you to process other foods better? If that doesn't bring improvement I'd suggest strict elimination diet/symptom log to identify any food intolerance you may have.

It can be confusing trying to weed out other intolerance one at a time.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

You got that right. I seem to alternate on some foods. I am cool with them one week and then overnight they kill me. Wouldn't this all be so much easier if we consistently had issues with the same foods all the time.

I think this next week I am going to forgo the low carb, eat the low fat and see if that changes how I feel physically. I am just not going to stress over weight reduction and focus more on feeling good so I can devote more energy to working out which is just something I have not felt good enough to do the last two months.

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

It may be some time you need to be healed. Honestly though, I was told by my doctor after having my gallbladder out that I would likely have to follow a low fat diet the rest of my life as most of his patients suffer from severe GI symptoms from even a "normal" fat intake. You may have to simply accept this fact. I seem to do okay though as long as I don't overdo it. I haven't gone low fat, but as long as I stay high fiber and stay away from deep fried foods I'm doing just fine with my GI symptoms and fat.

For me the only time I've effectively lost weight in the past was with high high exercise daily routines. Now I can barely walk around the block. :( It's an adjustment for all of us and we just need to learn what best suits our bodies as things change for us.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

I could not agree with you more about the adjustment. Sometimes you have to rationalize it out loud for it to really sink in to yourself. I hate that the docs are so quick to remove the GB and tell you that it will change nothing in your life. For some that seems to be true but for many of us, it screws our GI up forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: