#1 troykm

troykm

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

This may be TMI for some so be warned LOL

I love coffee! But have always had a problem with it. It always made me gooooooooooooo! With in 5 min of a cup i would be running to the loo and while not having diarrhoea, it would certainly be classed as an emergency evacuation. Also if i had more than 2 cups a day (sometimes just 2 was enough) i would get symptoms like increased anxiety, electrical currents through the body things like that. I always put this down to too much caffeine.

BUT!

5 weeks gluten free this week. NO REACTION TO COFFEE AT ALL! No running to the loo, no anxiety, none of the things that would normally happen. 0. Ziltch.

This can not be a coincidence. But i have no answer as to why coffee and celiac could be linked in such a way. Its not the lactose in the milk because i switched to soy milk for a year a few years back and had the same reaction.

I was also told that coffee was a trigger for my GERD/GORD, but since gluten free GERD/GORD is gone too.

Its a mystery to me :-)

anyone have any insight?

thanks
troy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hey troy. So glad you can enjoy your morning caffeine, with pleasure.

Many times any food or drink will be a bother, gluten free or otherwise, until healing can take place.

Simple joys! :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

Interesting. I know when I've eaten something I shouldn't my body holds on to a lot of water. Maybe the coffee was counteracting that for you, and when you changed your diet, your body didn't need the help any more?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

I think coffee does that for many people. I'm one of those who never gets D but always has C so coffee is vital for me to get me "going" each day. Without coffee I'm at a full stop even with huge amounts of fibre supplements.

Maybe coffee has more of an affect because our guts are damaged but now you are starting to heal so it has less effect? Just a theory.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 troykm

troykm

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

I've just been reading that some research is showing that the protein in coffee is cross reacting with the gluten antibody in our intestines. As your intestines heal the antibody levels drop and so the cross reactions slow and eventually stop.

Can this be true? I suppose it's possible. It would explain my mystery.

#6 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

This may be TMI for some so be warned LOL

I love coffee! But have always had a problem with it. It always made me gooooooooooooo! With in 5 min of a cup i would be running to the loo and while not having diarrhoea, it would certainly be classed as an emergency evacuation. Also if i had more than 2 cups a day (sometimes just 2 was enough) i would get symptoms like increased anxiety, electrical currents through the body things like that. I always put this down to too much caffeine.

BUT!

5 weeks gluten free this week. NO REACTION TO COFFEE AT ALL! No running to the loo, no anxiety, none of the things that would normally happen. 0. Ziltch.

This can not be a coincidence. But i have no answer as to why coffee and celiac could be linked in such a way. Its not the lactose in the milk because i switched to soy milk for a year a few years back and had the same reaction.

I was also told that coffee was a trigger for my GERD/GORD, but since gluten free GERD/GORD is gone too.

Its a mystery to me :-)

anyone have any insight?

thanks
troy

Say 5 Hail Marys and celebrate with a coffee cake.

Or. Chant for 10 minutes and make a coffee cake.

Or. Read Revolations and make a coffee cake.

Or. Knee toward Jerusalem and bow to Allah. Then make the coffee cake.

Or. Just make a coffee cake and eat it :D

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 troykm

troykm

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

Say 5 Hail Marys and celebrate with a coffee cake.

Or. Chant for 10 minutes and make a coffee cake.

Or. Read Revolations and make a coffee cake.

Or. Knee toward Jerusalem and bow to Allah. Then make the coffee cake.

Or. Just make a coffee cake and eat it :D

LOL idiot. Not quite the insight I was looking for :-P

But you make a good point, I'm getting a coffee lol

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

I've just been reading that some research is showing that the protein in coffee is cross reacting with the gluten antibody in our intestines. As your intestines heal the antibody levels drop and so the cross reactions slow and eventually stop.

Can this be true? I suppose it's possible. It would explain my mystery.

There is no such research. It's an urban legend that has cropped up on the internet recently. I have looked up all the supposed scientific references and they say that coffee allergies and reactions are actually quite rare. <_<

Coffee is a bit of a GI irritant and it's hard on folks with stomach trouble. It was probably too much for your system to handle. I used to be told to give up coffee because I had "gastritis". Pity my doctors never told me to give up gluten.

#9 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

Coffee/caffeine has been known to be inflammatory to the bowel as well as a laxative to many folks. Personally, I don't drink the stuff anymore since the colitis diagnosis. But that might be the problem for many people. I know even people with muscle/back problems/joint problems have been seen to improve on a caffeine free lifestyle.

B)

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#10 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

I know I sound like those people who say they'd die if they couldn't have bread, but I will never give up my coffee! Nectar of the Gods! Greatest "invention" mankind has ever come up with! My reason for getting up in the morning! First thing on my list when I say my prayer of thanks every day! What makes life worth living!

Um...can you tell I like the stuff? :lol:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#11 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Um...can you tell I like the stuff? :lol:

Umm....no, Bart! Posted Image As I'm sitting here having a cup of decaf as I really do prefer sleeping at night. Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#12 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

...and to think I have not had coffee since my all-nighters at university! I absolutely abhor the stuff. But today I was making a practice run of a gluten-free wedding cake and used coffee in it. That is the closest I have been to it for a very long time! :P
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#13 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

...and to think I have not had coffee since my all-nighters at university! I absolutely abhor the stuff. But today I was making a practice run of a gluten-free wedding cake and used coffee in it. That is the closest I have been to it for a very long time! :P

Hmmm...cake and coffee, score!! And I'll take a cup o joe on the side to wash it down! Let us know how that cake comes out!
~**caselynn**~

#14 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hmmm...cake and coffee, score!! And I'll take a cup o joe on the side to wash it down! Let us know how that cake comes out!

And you know if it's a wedding cake, it must be huge...that means we should all volunteer to be the "official tasters". Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#15 Kathy59

Kathy59

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

I used to be exactly the same way with coffee! Since being gluten-free, I too know longer have the effect! My husband still asks, "You o.k. in the bathroom?" before he uses the bathroom. However, in the end, when I got so sick; didn't matter what I drank or ate, I could never be far from a bathroom. I have since learned my electrical shocks are/were nerve damage caused from all the viruses in my body attacking my ncs...causing nerve damage. That is related to your body attacking the gluten in your body (good guys recognize it as a bad guy and trying to get rid of it). When this happens, the body is unable to keep viruses you have been exposed to down in your body (the good guys are calling in reinforcements to attack the gluten; other bad guys go unguarded) thus allowing viruses to become active in the body and floating around doing whatever damage they can; just happened to be my central nervous system. I take an anti-virual med to help my good guys! Since being dx the amount of meds I now take have been cut in half...it can be done, just takes patience, time, and being faithful to the gluten-free lifestyle! I also take olive leaf extract, just make sure it is at least 17% Oleuropein..natural anti-viral and it helps a lot with energy and keeping bad guys at bay!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: