23 replies to this topic

#16 Keshavdas

Keshavdas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:59 AM

Only been about three weeks since going gluten free. I would kill be able to drink regular coffee again. I've been limiting myself to one cup decaf on Sundays for some time now. Like most folks whose posts I've read - I ain't cured. But have noted dramatic changes in digestion. No more bloating or constant gas. And no horrendous constipation. I lived in India for 10 years and there where everybody else who got sick would end up with the runs - I often suffered two month long bouts of constipation where with out strong laxatives - nothing was "going down".

Last week I ate one or two fists full of pistachios which I haven't touched in ages and got a little stuffed up - so I took a gentle stool softener and voila! All was good next morning. Previous to going gluten free - I'd be taking two or three softeners several times a day to rectify the problem. Still can't believe that after all the years of complaining to my doctors about my issues - that none of the dummies ever thought to test for celiac.

I'm generally a good healer and have high hopes of regaining a strong semblance of normal health. I so much want to return to friends and family in India - but have been afraid of doing so and have not been back for three years.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kittty

kittty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

Since going gluten-free I can't drink coffee anymore. I used to occasionally experience an over-caffeinated feeling with coffee, like jitters and trouble sleeping. But recently a single cup of coffee will make me feel ill, and the caffeine symptoms are so strong that they worry me. No more coffee for me.

Do you think this might be because my body is now absorbing things better, and more caffeine is getting through the system?

#18 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

And you know if it's a wedding cake, it must be huge...that means we should all volunteer to be the "official tasters". Posted Image

Yes definitely! I'll get my fork!! 😄😄😄😄
~**caselynn**~

#19 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

Yes definitely! I'll get my fork!! 😄😄😄😄

I think she must have eaten it herself! Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#20 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

I really dont think I could ever give up coffee unless I knew it was something that would directly kill me. lol

I am a coffee drinker for the flavor though, not so much the caffine, so I would be willing to switch to decaf if needed. I think I have been drinking coffee so regularly, and for so long that I only notice when it is decaf. Meaning, that I dont notice a "perk" or caffine jolt when I drink it, but I get intense caffine withdrawl migraine headaches when I stop. Last time I made the switch to decaf was when I was pregnant and I did it slowly, but it could be done, and I didnt miss the caffine once I switched.

#21 ChristineWas

ChristineWas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:39 AM

I had to completely give up coffee during my time of getting more and more sick pre-diagnosis, but I am able to drink it in moderation now. I found that switching to cold-brew coffee (Toddy), which has significantly lower acidity, really helped me as well. I guess the acidity was a big factor in my trouble with it.

#22 Finally@45

Finally@45

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:08 AM

I had the same response, less urination urges after coffee. I also used to get urinary tract infections frequently, all gone.

I recently had to stop eating corn. I had long associated urinary tract infections with high fructose corn syrup. Interestingly, my gastro just suggested that my corn intolerance isn't really to corn, it's to fructose. I'll soon see if she's right.

I think when you start to eat right, you can't help but elminate a lot of food that isn't good for you. In the end, you'll get better results from all over your body.
Celiac symptoms since childhood, with no diagnoses til age 45
Celiac diagnoses & went gluten free summer 2011
Severely fructose intolerant, primarily from corn, w/IBS June 2012

Celebrating each day of feeling GOOD.

#23 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

Only been about three weeks since going gluten free. I would kill be able to drink regular coffee again. I've been limiting myself to one cup decaf on Sundays for some time now. Like most folks whose posts I've read - I ain't cured. But have noted dramatic changes in digestion. No more bloating or constant gas. And no horrendous constipation. I lived in India for 10 years and there where everybody else who got sick would end up with the runs - I often suffered two month long bouts of constipation where with out strong laxatives - nothing was "going down".

Last week I ate one or two fists full of pistachios which I haven't touched in ages and got a little stuffed up - so I took a gentle stool softener and voila! All was good next morning. Previous to going gluten free - I'd be taking two or three softeners several times a day to rectify the problem. Still can't believe that after all the years of complaining to my doctors about my issues - that none of the dummies ever thought to test for celiac.

I'm generally a good healer and have high hopes of regaining a strong semblance of normal health. I so much want to return to friends and family in India - but have been afraid of doing so and have not been back for three years.

@K
Hi K,

I hope you do get back to normal health. Our bodies do have an amazing capacity to heal. Whole foods are a good way to avoid many chemicals and cross-contamination issues. I gave up coffee several years ago myself after going gluten-free. It just didn't work anymore for me.

Since going gluten-free I can't drink coffee anymore. I used to occasionally experience an over-caffeinated feeling with coffee, like jitters and trouble sleeping. But recently a single cup of coffee will make me feel ill, and the caffeine symptoms are so strong that they worry me. No more coffee for me.

Do you think this might be because my body is now absorbing things better, and more caffeine is getting through the system?

@Kitty Same here Kitty, coffee and caffeine in any form bothers me. I don't drink sodas with caffeine either. Even chocolate has some caffeine in it. Not much but some. You probably are starting to absorb foods better, but I am not sure if that is the issue. Caffeine just has bad affects om some people it seems. I used to drink a lot of coffee before going gluten-free but now I can't handle it. I am not sure why, but it doesn't agree with me anymore.

And she probably did eat the whole cake! But she probably didn't get any sleep that night either.:)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#24 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

I have never been able to drink coffee. Always made me sick to my stomach, headaches and put me to sleep even the smell would nauseate me. What was interesting is cigarettes did the same thing. Found out a few years ago it was due to the tannins in the coffee and cigs.

Didn't like the taste of cigs or coffee anyway so no biggie.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: