This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Testing Younger Sibs

StephanieL

StephanieL Enthusiast

So what are your thoughts all?

My DS is 5.5 and has food allergies and Celiac. Because of safety (crumbs plus his anaphylactic reaction possibility) his 3.5 yo sister is on the same diet here at home. My 9 month old will be gluten-free till at least a year but most likely longer for the same reasons my daughter is. She started preschool last spring and her teachers has all the same allergies and gluten issues, she was also DS's teacher so she knows our drill so it's not a really big deal now. I am wondering if/when would you consider a gluten challenge? Would you even? Should we do the genetics? I am guessing they'll be + since gee, the kids are genetically linked so wouldn't the chances be pretty high? I am just thinking out loud here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

My kids are in the process of testing now because I have celiac. Two of my boys have symptoms that could be celiac but I'm unsure if that's it. They are 9,7 and 5. I am switching everyone over to gluten-free this summer because like you, I think it's better safe than sorry... and it's easier. :P

While they live with me, they'll have to be gluten-free even if they test negative. As teens, if they start to stray from the diet to eat the junk that teens like, then I will push them to be tested after 6 months to a year. (I've heard that after being gluten-free for years you need to consume gluten a long time before any tests will be positive.) They are all so young now, that I have a few years to drill the seriousness of the disease and the need for testing, into their heads... hopefully it will stick. ;)

So I guess, no. I won't put them on a gluten challenge if they test negative, but if they do it them selves when they are older, I'll support their decision... but I won't serve gluten in the house.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I guess I am wondering too if I should get he baby tested as he may be getting some gluten via breastmilk. I am thinking maybe before kindergarten for DD as I am not going to be able to get a 504 for her unless we have a dx.

I wish ere were an accurate way to test without having to be on gluten :P

nvsmom Community Regular

I think it's hard to get an accurate test for babies and toddlers... This is tricky when they are so small...

Have you been tested for celiac? I just ask because I read an article, can't remember where now - darn, and it discused how undiagnosed celiac mothers could possibly pass on celiac (triggers) to their kids because the antibodies could be in the milk... I'm not sure of the validity or reliability of the paper but it's something to consider. I know it sure disturbed me. :(

Best of luck with your decision. I hope it goes smoothly for you all either way. :)

StephanieL Enthusiast

I have been tested (celiac panel but not genetics) and I was negative. DH refuses to get tested <_<

Like I said I just wish there were an easier way.

nvsmom Community Regular

((HUGS))

Archived