23 replies to this topic

#16 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

Kelly, does your daughter show any interest in cooking and baking? When I was first diagnosed, my gluten-eating granddaughter loved to help bake. She was 11 at the time (13 now). She recently spent a few days with me and we made gluten-free cinnamon-raisin bread, pizza and lemon-blueberry pound cake. We were also going to make cupcakes but ran out of time.

While these were made from scratch, there are also some good mixes available. Betty Crocker gluten-free mixes are readily available in lots of grocery stores and Wal-Mart. King Arthur Flour has some good ones, too. Gluten-Free Bisquick makes good pancakes and waffles and I also like Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix. There are lots more but these came to mind quickly.

Maybe if she could help you, she might enjoy eating, too. Just a thought.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:49 AM

Does your family have any favorite meals which are naturally gluten free? Lamb with vegetables on rice with a side salad? Chicken with mashed potatoes and carrots? There are many options. How about breakfast of scrambled eggs with cheese and a glass of milk? Prepare meals like that for the whole family and sit down together. She will have fewer problems with the transition if it is a normal part of your family life. It is a hard adjustment at first, but she will accept it with time.

#18 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:54 AM

For the record, when my daughter was diagnosed when she was 16-17 months old, she was really mad. It is a process. Talk it out. These are her true feelings, and who can say she is not justified?

list of gluten intolerant or Celiac ;)

Vollmer, American female swimmer ~Gold medal london 2012
Jack Black
Emily Rossum
miley Cyrus
keith olberman

and... (maybe some others can add to the list and correct spelling) She is not the only person in the world who has to deal with this. (sometimes it's true ~ misery loves company, then you aren't so miserable.) :D
Michigan

#19 Katie C.

Katie C.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

My 11 year old daughter was just diagnosed on Friday. She has not taken well to the news at all. She has been moody & angry ever since. What bothers me the most is she is not eating well at all. On Friday after work my husband picked her up a gluten free pizza and chex cereal. She hated the pizza. She didn't eat the rest of the night. The next day she had some cereal & liked it. We went to the store & got a few things. She was not interested in picking anything out except for brownie mix that she hasn't touched yet. She wants to make it herself but keeps saying she doesn't feel like it. She tried making toast, she hated the bread so she ate more cereal. All she ate today was cereal & a few strawberries. She wont eat! I don't know what to do. We are seeing a dietician Wednesday. Oh, wait at Old Navy today in the check out line she was looking through the impulse items & found an almond coconut bar labeled gluten & wheat free. I let her get it of course & she liked it. Other than that she has only eaten chex.

My 13 year old middle school daughter was diagnosed 4 months ago after missing 4 months of school for debilitating stomach problems (which turned out to be celiac). Her friends eat her gluten-free (gluten free) food when they come here and when she goes to their house and takes food with her, and they love it. Best cure for feeling like an oddball. :)

#20 GwenO

GwenO

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed a few weeks ago. It's a grieving of sorts. Fast food. Birthday parties. All of that. I keep telling her to think of perspective - there are far worse things to have. She is an avid baker and is just starting to show an interest in gluten free baking. I've gone gluten free with her - I'm finding I actually feel better - although I tested negative. Adjustment takes time.

#21 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

For the record, when my daughter was diagnosed when she was 16-17 months old, she was really mad. It is a process. Talk it out. These are her true feelings, and who can say she is not justified?

list of gluten intolerant or Celiac ;)

Vollmer, American female swimmer ~Gold medal london 2012
Jack Black
Emily Rossum
miley Cyrus
keith olberman

and... (maybe some others can add to the list and correct spelling) She is not the only person in the world who has to deal with this. (sometimes it's true ~ misery loves company, then you aren't so miserable.) :D

Ex pres Bill Clinton and his daughter Chelsea. They seem to be embarassed about it though. Chelsea's wedding cake was gluten free when she got married.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#22 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

Two more:
Heidi Collins
Jennifer Esposito
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#23 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

My dd was 11 when she was diagnosed. My nutritionist told me to buy Gluten Free Grocery Shopping Guide by Matison&Matison. It's been great. It tells regular food that is gluten free (hormel chili, denty Moore beef stew, Doritos , certain Smart Ones, etc. I thought we'd have to go to a specialty store for things but I can find most everything at Kroger or publix. Corn pasta in the health food section of Kroger is great. My family can't tell the difference when I pour Ragu over it! Ragu-another one from the book! I also subscribe to the gluten free option of emeals.com. LIfesaver! 9 months ago I was you and I cried in the parking lot after my first shopping trip. It does get better. I promise. Please pm me if you need more ideas. I can give you tons!!!!!

#24 GwenO

GwenO

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

My 11 year old daughter was just diagnosed on Friday. She has not taken well to the news at all. She has been moody & angry ever since. What bothers me the most is she is not eating well at all. On Friday after work my husband picked her up a gluten free pizza and chex cereal. She hated the pizza. She didn't eat the rest of the night. The next day she had some cereal & liked it. We went to the store & got a few things. She was not interested in picking anything out except for brownie mix that she hasn't touched yet. She wants to make it herself but keeps saying she doesn't feel like it. She tried making toast, she hated the bread so she ate more cereal. All she ate today was cereal & a few strawberries. She wont eat! I don't know what to do. We are seeing a dietician Wednesday. Oh, wait at Old Navy today in the check out line she was looking through the impulse items & found an almond coconut bar labeled gluten & wheat free. I let her get it of course & she liked it. Other than that she has only eaten chex.

My 11 year old daughter was recently diagnosed too. It's getting easier. Such a huge adjustment. I'm finding that for the most part it's easier to just cook - meat, rice/potatoes, veggies. My girl loves to bake - we bought a flour mix, and so far it's worked in every "flour" recipe she's tried. We haven't ventured to a restaurant yet - still researching that. The processed foods are very expensive, which is another reason I'm cooking more. It's very hard - kids keep thinking about everything that they're missing out on. My daughter's weight went dangerously low - she was hospitalized. Putting it back on is proving to be a challenge. Let me know if you'd like to talk.

Gwen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: