This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kansas City Gluten Free People?

nail girl

nail girl Newbie

Hi. I find it hard to be that person who has to ask.....Do you have a gluten free menu... I just wish there was someone in my area that could relate and give me some advise on how to handle this. I have had celiac for 7 years and I tell ya what, it doesn't get easier unless I eat at home or keep going to the same old places over and over!!!!! It gets VERY BORING!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I live in the OP area. I don't go too many places. I have not had good luck. They either have no idea what I am talking about or the food on the gluten-free menu is gluten-free until someone starts cooking it where they just cooked a bun.

I go to Pei Wei, Minsky's, Waldo Pizza, PF Changs, Bonefish and Jaspers (no gluten-free menu but a nice place that costs more but doesn't re-use pans, etc.) i haven't tried La Bodega yet, but they have gluten-free listed on the regular menu. They told me to say its for a medical need and they will be extra careful.

Where do you eat safely?

nail girl Newbie

I live in the OP area. I don't go too many places. I have not had good luck. They either have no idea what I am talking about or the food on the gluten-free menu is gluten-free until someone starts cooking it where they just cooked a bun.

I go to Pei Wei, Minsky's, Waldo Pizza, PF Changs, Bonefish and Jaspers (no gluten-free menu but a nice place that costs more but doesn't re-use pans, etc.) i haven't tried La Bodega yet, but they have gluten-free listed on the regular menu. They told me to say its for a medical need and they will be extra careful.

Where do you eat safely?

I really don't go out to alot of places. If I do it maybe a steak place and all I order is veggies. Olive Garden has a yummy gluten-free dish and I have gone to PF Changs. Houlihans has a gluten-free menue, but I am really careful there. I have seen the cooks. LOL... I mainly eat at home. I google A LOT about different brands. Even after 7 years with this I still miss bread. I was a huge bread person. I have not forgotten how yummy it was and probably never will in my life time.

bbuster Explorer

Hi - I don't live in the KC area, but my in-laws do, and my son is the one with Celiac.

EVERY time we visit KC we got to Waldo Pizza (the one in Lee's Summit). And it gets better every time. Not only do they have great gluten-free pizza, but they also have tasty gluten-free breadsticks and a few dessert items. They totally understand gluten-free (a relative of the owner has Celiac, I think) and you don't have to feel weird about it.

hlwilliams Newbie

Where do you eat safely?

Hi all!

I live in Kansas City and I also have a hard time finding places to eat safely. At Olive Garden, I found a regular noodle in my "gluten free" pasta. My rule is if somewhere makes me sick once, I never go back. This being said, here are some places I have been able to eat: Bo Ling's, chinese at Zona Rosa; Pizza Shoppe-has the best gluten free crust, I ate the one at Godfather's just fine, just didn't like as much; Applebee's; most Mexican restaurants- Margarita's, La Fuente, and Habanero's are my favorites. The BEST place though, its pricy, is Fogo De Chao on the plaza. The staff is extremely knowledgeble and most items they serve are naturally gluten free, and best of all....they have an AWESOME bread that is gluten free. I seriously crave it!

• 2 weeks later...
AmandaRae Newbie

I live in Lee's Summit and was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a few weeks ago. I've been playing it safe and cooking at home. But, I'll definitely try Waldo Pizza and Fogo De Chao! I'm friends with our Minsky's owner and crew, so I would feel pretty safe there also!

I do have to give a shout out to my Ward Rd. Hy-vee for having such a great gluten-free selection. In fact, many of their store brand items are naturally gluten-free. And Jessica, the Health Market manager is and super sweet, gluten-free, and dairy-free. She walked me through the entire department recommending the best products!

• 2 weeks later...
ChristineWas Rookie

I just moved away from Kansas City. I definitely understand the difficulties of doing gluten free in KC. It seems like there just isn't as much awareness.

I had a bad experience at Applebee's. But PF Chang's has never failed me. Another place you could try is Blanc Burgers and Bottles. They have a gluten free bun. The bun tastes great but falls apart within a couple of minutes, so be prepared to use a fork. Blanc was a favorite of mine before I was diagnosed. Another catch... as of my last visit, they still didn't have a gluten free menu. But they did bring me the cook's cheat sheet (for necessary modifications) to help me piece together my order.

I've also never had a bad gluten free experience at Outback Steakhouse. They have good kitchen practices, the staff are made more aware, a manager usually gets involved, and my favorite items are on the gluten free menu. (They even have a safe chocolate treat!) I tend to fall back on Outback as a safe option whenever I travel.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
teg Newbie

Late response, but I figured I'd throw some of my regulars spots up here:

Kona (even have gluten-free soy sauce)

Chipotle (burrito bowl, and they change their gloves if you ask)

Houlihans (plaza only, not 87th!)

Drunken Fish

Ingredient

Longhorn

Jack Stack!!!

Outback

Bristol

Fogo

When friends want Italian we always go to Brio. They have a good plate of carpaccio that I always get. Also, I haven't really searched around much, but the best gluten-free section I've seen in a grocery store is the Hyvee in Mission.

From my experience in KC, most everyone is really nice when you bring up gluten. Not all the restaurants I go to have gluten-free menus, but I always make sure to bring it up. Plenty waiters and waitresses go double check with the managers when you ask about a specific selection. (key part of this is asking about a specific selection) It's the people that don't understand what you are referencing and don't seem to care that you need to be careful with. FWIW, I travel across the country a lot and I've found KC isn't actually that bad of a place to be for a gluten free life.

kareng Grand Master

Late response, but I figured I'd throw some of my regulars spots up here:

Kona (even have gluten-free soy sauce)

Chipotle (burrito bowl, and they change their gloves if you ask)

Houlihans (plaza only, not 87th!)

Drunken Fish

Ingredient

Longhorn

Jack Stack!!!

Outback

Bristol

Fogo

When friends want Italian we always go to Brio. They have a good plate of carpaccio that I always get. Also, I haven't really searched around much, but the best gluten-free section I've seen in a grocery store is the Hyvee in Mission.

From my experience in KC, most everyone is really nice when you bring up gluten. Not all the restaurants I go to have gluten-free menus, but I always make sure to bring it up. Plenty waiters and waitresses go double check with the managers when you ask about a specific selection. (key part of this is asking about a specific selection) It's the people that don't understand what you are referencing and don't seem to care that you need to be careful with. FWIW, I travel across the country a lot and I've found KC isn't actually that bad of a place to be for a gluten free life.

Went last weekend to Nature's Pantry, near Independence Mall. The gluten-free frozen section is amazing. Only place I have found the Glutenfreeda pizza wraps in the area.

The HyVee at 135th and Antioch has a big gluten-free section. The Natural Grocers at 91st & Metcalf has some things I haven't found at HyVee.

When I went gluten-free several years ago, the Bristol sent me a very unfriendly email response when I asked about gluten-free. They said that the foods might be gluten-free but they would not use a clean pan so there might be breading in the pan. Needless to say, I won't go there.

teg Newbie

Went last weekend to Nature's Pantry, near Independence Mall. The gluten-free frozen section is amazing. Only place I have found the Glutenfreeda pizza wraps in the area.

The HyVee at 135th and Antioch has a big gluten-free section. The Natural Grocers at 91st & Metcalf has some things I haven't found at HyVee.

When I went gluten-free several years ago, the Bristol sent me a very unfriendly email response when I asked about gluten-free. They said that the foods might be gluten-free but they would not use a clean pan so there might be breading in the pan. Needless to say, I won't go there.

I'll have to check those stores out, thanks!

Interesting response from Bristol. First time I asked about it the waitress went to the kitchen to double check. She came back out and said the chef knew exactly what I was asking and would prepare mine separately. Haven't had any issues and probably eat there every month or so. But yea, if you're concerned it's not worth the stress.

kareng Grand Master

I'll have to check those stores out, thanks!

Interesting response from Bristol. First time I asked about it the waitress went to the kitchen to double check. She came back out and said the chef knew exactly what I was asking and would prepare mine separately. Haven't had any issues and probably eat there every month or so. But yea, if you're concerned it's not worth the stress.

That was a few years ago. Which Bristol and which Jack's Stack do you eat at? A few years ago the Jack's in Martin City had no clue and said that baked potaoes had gluten. Maybe they have learned something since then.

teg Newbie

That was a few years ago. Which Bristol and which Jack's Stack do you eat at? A few years ago the Jack's in Martin City had no clue and said that baked potaoes had gluten. Maybe they have learned something since then.

I usually eat at the Jack Stack in Martin City. They really know there stuff when it comes to gluten free, at least now. Open Original Shared Link

Bristol is the one down off 119th.

You gotta get out more! :) Over the past year I'm seeing a lot more restaurants pick up on the issue and try their best to accommodate.

kareng Grand Master

I usually eat at the Jack Stack in Martin City. They really know there stuff when it comes to gluten free, at least now. Open Original Shared Link

Bristol is the one down off 119th.

You gotta get out more! :) Over the past year I'm seeing a lot more restaurants pick up on the issue and try their best to accommodate.

That's great! I live near both of those! My hub and boys will love to go try Jacks'.

We need a place like Tanners or Paddy O'Quigleys that could do gluten-free.

teg Newbie

That's great! I live near both of those! My hub and boys will love to go try Jacks'.

We need a place like Tanners or Paddy O'Quigleys that could do gluten-free.

If Tanners or Paddys ever did come out with gluten-free menu I doubt I'd ever trust it. I'm friends with a couple ex employees, but no way would I trust them to handle my food with any care!

Post celiac diagnosis I switched over from Tanners to Kona and Houlihans (Fairway) for my hangout spots. They're definitely pricier, but it fits the intent and I can still eat with relatively little stress.

Enjoy Jack Stack!

kareng Grand Master

If Tanners or Paddys ever did come out with gluten-free menu I doubt I'd ever trust it. I'm friends with a couple ex employees, but no way would I trust them to handle my food with any care!

Post celiac diagnosis I switched over from Tanners to Kona and Houlihans (Fairway) for my hangout spots. They're definitely pricier, but it fits the intent and I can still eat with relatively little stress.

Enjoy Jack Stack!

When they can't remember not to put cheese on a burger.....but it would be nice to have a bar type place.

Thanks. We are going to go to Jacks in Martin City.

Know anything about the Houlihans on 119th?

teg Newbie

When they can't remember not to put cheese on a burger.....but it would be nice to have a bar type place.

Thanks. We are going to go to Jacks in Martin City.

Know anything about the Houlihans on 119th?

After thinking about it for a bit you're right, it would be nice to have a good real bar spot that also had gluten-free food. Might be worth poking around to see if there's any interest in it, especially at some bar that isn't doing so well. I'll let you know if I dig anything up.

I'm not sure about the food at the 119th street Houlihans location but I'm sure it's just as good as the Fairway spot. (I purposely avoid 87th street because it seems like it's ran by a bunch of kids) This is their official gluten free menu, with the normal legalese: Open Original Shared Link

• 1 month later...
chrstlvn Newbie

Hello KC Friends! I was just diagnosed with Celiac on Friday, so figure I would say hello as I will be visiting this forum often. I live in Leavenworth (just northwest of KC). I wanted to share that the Celiac Sprue Association of Greater Kansas City has a recently updated list of Gluten-Free Friendly Restaurants in KC. Here is the link Open Original Shared Link but it can easily be "googled" if link does not work.

kareng Grand Master

Hello KC Friends! I was just diagnosed with Celiac on Friday, so figure I would say hello as I will be visiting this forum often. I live in Leavenworth (just northwest of KC). I wanted to share that the Celiac Sprue Association of Greater Kansas City has a recently updated list of Gluten-Free Friendly Restaurants in KC. Here is the link Open Original Shared Link but it can easily be "googled" if link does not work.

Just becareful with that list. Just because a place has a gluten-free menu, does not mean they understand real gluten-free. For example: Appleby's is on that list. Appleby's has no clue about CC or how to make safe gluten free food. They say the fries are gluten-free but fry them with all the other gluten coated stuff.

teg Newbie

Sucks, good luck with the transition! Let me know if you ever have any questions. I don't cook, so I've been to most of the restaurants on the list as well as some not on there. Here are the places (from the list) that I've ate at and definitely had a reaction. I've only eaten at the chains when I'm travelling (a lot), so it may have just been a bad location, and once it's happened I never go back.

Applebees

Avenues

Bo Ling's

Carrabbas

Chili's

Godfathers

Holy Land

Minsky's (plus I'm not a fan of the owner)

Ruby Tuesdays

• 2 weeks later...
chrstlvn Newbie

Sucks, good luck with the transition! Let me know if you ever have any questions. I don't cook, so I've been to most of the restaurants on the list as well as some not on there. Here are the places (from the list) that I've ate at and definitely had a reaction. I've only eaten at the chains when I'm travelling (a lot), so it may have just been a bad location, and once it's happened I never go back.

Applebees

Avenues

Bo Ling's

Carrabbas

Chili's

Godfathers

Holy Land

Minsky's (plus I'm not a fan of the owner)

Ruby Tuesdays

Bo Lings and Carrabas?! Oh no. I don't seem to have the GI symptoms to foods even though I have Celiac, so I will be depending on others' input. I guess I make a poor guinea pig :) Maybe after being gluten free a while I will then notice when I am exposed. Thanks for posting!

kareng Grand Master

Bo Lings and Carrabas?! Oh no. I don't seem to have the GI symptoms to foods even though I have Celiac, so I will be depending on others' input. I guess I make a poor guinea pig :) Maybe after being gluten free a while I will then notice when I am exposed. Thanks for posting!

Bo LIngs and Pei Wei do a good job with gluten-free. I have eaten at them many times. Pei Wei is very limited but good (they are part of PF Changs group). MInskys' does a good job, too. The crust is not as great as "real" crust but ir OK. Waldo Pizza is good, too. Caspian Bistro on Metcalf & 91 is Persian food. At night there is almost nothing on the menu with gluten. I did fine at Outback steak House and Bonefish Grill. Hav heard that Jack's Stack is a good place but haven't tried it since gluten-free. Also, V's in Independence is supposed to be good.

• 2 months later...
Kathi Jones Newbie

I live in Overland Park ks also. I was just diagnosised so this is all new to me but i have been very ill and am glad to have an answer to what is wrong with me. I had spin pizza the other day and they have a gluten free menu and so does B Dubs. Buffalo wild wings. Cheeseburger in Paradise in Legends has a gluten free menu too. I think for me it has been a learning curve. I mean i have to make sure before i ever put it in my mouth.

Kathi

• 10 months later...
kareng Grand Master

A new gluten-free bake shop just opened up in Southern Overland Park! It's called Mama Resch's! Just tried the chocolate and the pumpkin spice cupcakes! Yum!

Also, T. Loft near Ward Parkway Shopping center has gluten-free treats and salads. everything gluten-free. They are opening another location in Overland Park at Park place next month.

• 1 year later...
gami13 Newbie

I live in Overland Park ks also. I was just diagnosised so this is all new to me but i have been very ill and am glad to have an answer to what is wrong with me. I had spin pizza the other day and they have a gluten free menu and so does B Dubs. Buffalo wild wings. Cheeseburger in Paradise in Legends has a gluten free menu too. I think for me it has been a learning curve. I mean i have to make sure before i ever put it in my mouth.

Kathi

How was Spin's gluten-free crust? I recently had Topp'd gluten-free and it tasted like cardboard. I'm technically don't have Celiac, but I do have Inflammatory Arthritis and was told that gluten is an inflammatory so to be able to function at all I have to eat Gluten Free. I have some insight into gluten-free due to my Grandpa and cousin having Celiac, but I have no knowledge as to what everything tastes like. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Archived