22 replies to this topic

#16 teg

teg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

When they can't remember not to put cheese on a burger.....but it would be nice to have a bar type place.
Thanks. We are going to go to Jacks in Martin City.

Know anything about the Houlihans on 119th?

After thinking about it for a bit you're right, it would be nice to have a good real bar spot that also had gluten-free food. Might be worth poking around to see if there's any interest in it, especially at some bar that isn't doing so well. I'll let you know if I dig anything up.

I'm not sure about the food at the 119th street Houlihans location but I'm sure it's just as good as the Fairway spot. (I purposely avoid 87th street because it seems like it's ran by a bunch of kids) This is their official gluten free menu, with the normal legalese: http://www.houlihans.../GlutenFree.pdf

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 chrstlvn

chrstlvn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Hello KC Friends! I was just diagnosed with Celiac on Friday, so figure I would say hello as I will be visiting this forum often. I live in Leavenworth (just northwest of KC). I wanted to share that the Celiac Sprue Association of Greater Kansas City has a recently updated list of Gluten-Free Friendly Restaurants in KC. Here is the link http://csakansascity...taurants-in-kc/ but it can easily be "googled" if link does not work.

#18 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Hello KC Friends! I was just diagnosed with Celiac on Friday, so figure I would say hello as I will be visiting this forum often. I live in Leavenworth (just northwest of KC). I wanted to share that the Celiac Sprue Association of Greater Kansas City has a recently updated list of Gluten-Free Friendly Restaurants in KC. Here is the link http://csakansascity...urants-in-kc/ but it can easily be "googled" if link does not work.

Just becareful with that list. Just because a place has a gluten-free menu, does not mean they understand real gluten-free. For example: Appleby's is on that list. Appleby's has no clue about CC or how to make safe gluten free food. They say the fries are gluten-free but fry them with all the other gluten coated stuff.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 teg

teg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hello KC Friends! I was just diagnosed with Celiac on Friday, so figure I would say hello as I will be visiting this forum often. I live in Leavenworth (just northwest of KC). I wanted to share that the Celiac Sprue Association of Greater Kansas City has a recently updated list of Gluten-Free Friendly Restaurants in KC. Here is the link http://csakansascity...urants-in-kc/ but it can easily be "googled" if link does not work.

Sucks, good luck with the transition! Let me know if you ever have any questions. I don't cook, so I've been to most of the restaurants on the list as well as some not on there. Here are the places (from the list) that I've ate at and definitely had a reaction. I've only eaten at the chains when I'm travelling (a lot), so it may have just been a bad location, and once it's happened I never go back.

Applebees
Avenues
Bo Ling's
Carrabbas
Chili's
Godfathers
Holy Land
Minsky's (plus I'm not a fan of the owner)
Ruby Tuesdays

#20 chrstlvn

chrstlvn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Sucks, good luck with the transition! Let me know if you ever have any questions. I don't cook, so I've been to most of the restaurants on the list as well as some not on there. Here are the places (from the list) that I've ate at and definitely had a reaction. I've only eaten at the chains when I'm travelling (a lot), so it may have just been a bad location, and once it's happened I never go back.

Applebees
Avenues
Bo Ling's
Carrabbas
Chili's
Godfathers
Holy Land
Minsky's (plus I'm not a fan of the owner)
Ruby Tuesdays

Bo Lings and Carrabas?! Oh no. I don't seem to have the GI symptoms to foods even though I have Celiac, so I will be depending on others' input. I guess I make a poor guinea pig :) Maybe after being gluten free a while I will then notice when I am exposed. Thanks for posting!

#21 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Bo Lings and Carrabas?! Oh no. I don't seem to have the GI symptoms to foods even though I have Celiac, so I will be depending on others' input. I guess I make a poor guinea pig :) Maybe after being gluten free a while I will then notice when I am exposed. Thanks for posting!

Bo LIngs and Pei Wei do a good job with gluten-free. I have eaten at them many times. Pei Wei is very limited but good (they are part of PF Changs group). MInskys' does a good job, too. The crust is not as great as "real" crust but ir OK. Waldo Pizza is good, too. Caspian Bistro on Metcalf & 91 is Persian food. At night there is almost nothing on the menu with gluten. I did fine at Outback steak House and Bonefish Grill. Hav heard that Jack's Stack is a good place but haven't tried it since gluten-free. Also, V's in Independence is supposed to be good.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#22 Kathi Jones

Kathi Jones

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

I live in Overland Park ks also. I was just diagnosised so this is all new to me but i have been very ill and am glad to have an answer to what is wrong with me. I had spin pizza the other day and they have a gluten free menu and so does B Dubs. Buffalo wild wings. Cheeseburger in Paradise in Legends has a gluten free menu too. I think for me it has been a learning curve. I mean i have to make sure before i ever put it in my mouth.
Kathi

#23 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

A new gluten-free bake shop just opened up in Southern Overland Park! It's called Mama Resch's! Just tried the chocolate and the pumpkin spice cupcakes! Yum!

Also, T. Loft near Ward Parkway Shopping center has gluten-free treats and salads. everything gluten-free. They are opening another location in Overland Park at Park place next month.

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: