9 replies to this topic

#1 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

I'm starting my freshman year in just over three weeks, and I am gonna need MAJOR help in the cooking department. I'm either going to be cooking all my own food, or most of my own food, and my only regularly accessible kitchen is the one the entire dorm shares. I have to supply my own utensils, which isn't a problem, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for cheap, easy to prepare meals?

I'm thinking things like stir fry veggies and meat, taco dishes, etc. Stuff I can make in 15 minutes. At this point, I'm strictly gluten-free, MSG-free, aspartame-free, and trying to limit grains and sugar (fruits, etc.) due to yeast. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

How about getting a small George Foreman Grill. I have a small one that will cook 2 burgers or 2 chicken breasts. You could make a burger or grilled chicken and have a salad. It takes less than 10 min. to cook meat on it. It's very easy.

#3 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

You might want to use the google search button on the top right hand corner of your screen and do a search for budget meals, cheap meals, etc. We've had a few threads on that recently which might give you some good ideas.

If you have a crock pot, that will be useful, too, to make something very simple and easy.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#4 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

I've asked about a Crock Pot, and my RA is finding out for me. I don't think Foreman grills are allowed period because they have an open burner. I might be allowed to bring one and store it.

#5 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:04 AM

Can you use a griddle? What about a quesodilla maker? You can make all sorts of things on it super quick :)

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#6 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

The key to all this is: If you are going to go to the trouble of going down to the kitchen and cook - make extra. You can microwave in your room tomorrow.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

5 out of 4 people struggle with math.

math-problem-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

I've asked about a Crock Pot, and my RA is finding out for me. I don't think Foreman grills are allowed period because they have an open burner. I might be allowed to bring one and store it.

There's not an "open burner" on the George Foreman grills. I would liken it to heating elements such as an electric frying pan but then I don't know if that would be allowed either.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#8 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

There should also be some sort of medical exemption for you I would imagine. You may have to have some paperwork filled out by your doctor, but something should be done to accommodate your medical condition. Having to share a kitchen with the whole dorm or floor is, in my opinion, a health hazard, especially for cross contamination.

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#9 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

Here's a recipe I do all the time ... a can of mashed beans, a beaten egg, bit of salt and spices and form patties, then pan fry in some olive oil. Also wondering if soup might be a possibility - can of gluten-free broth, throw in some frozen veggies and maybe a chicken breast. Maybe scrambled egg based dishes in the microwave?

#10 andi1235

andi1235

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

Sweet potatoes are good. I like to make a mixture of chickpeas, chopped onion, cooked millet, and cooked rice, and saute that together with some green olives, and serve it over cooked sweet potatoes with some plain yoghurt for garnish. It sounds odd but it's really good, provided you can tolerate the starches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: