#1 MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

Hi,

I have looked through the forum and could not find any threads relating to this , I am sure there some. I was diagnosed a Celiac a few years back and I believe I cope very well but the fatigue really bothers me. I have tried all different kinds of diets, I am currently on a fruit and veg only, "Arnold Ehret mucusless diet" and I feel great most of the time, going without any grains, meats or dairy products. I have tried all different energy shakes and foods that supposedly increase energy levels but they rarely work for me.

I have also tried Multivitamin pills, protein shakes designed for energy but still I feel tired throughout the daytime.My skepticism regarding multivitamins has grown as I believe eating the right amount of foods should allow your body to get the required nutrition. Playing sports and the few hours after is the only time when I feel energetic but unfortunately I cant play sports everyday due to work.

What am I missing in my diet? I would be really grateful if someone would share the secret of overcoming fatigue!

Michael

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

Hi,

I have looked through the forum and could not find any threads relating to this , I am sure there some. I was diagnosed a Celiac a few years back and I believe I cope very well but the fatigue really bothers me. I have tried all different kinds of diets, I am currently on a fruit and veg only, "Arnold Ehret mucusless diet" and I feel great most of the time, going without any grains, meats or dairy products. I have tried all different energy shakes and foods that supposedly increase energy levels but they rarely work for me.

I have also tried Multivitamin pills, protein shakes designed for energy but still I feel tired throughout the daytime.My skepticism regarding multivitamins has grown as I believe eating the right amount of foods should allow your body to get the required nutrition. Playing sports and the few hours after is the only time when I feel energetic but unfortunately I cant play sports everyday due to work.

What am I missing in my diet? I would be really grateful if someone would share the secret of overcoming fatigue!

Michael

Have you discussed it with your Doctor? I'd wonder if maybe there is a secondary problem, or maybe just Cross contamination, I know CC is generally what kills my energy level's
you could always try B12 shots or sub-linguals

Gluten Free since Xmas 2010

Current Auto Immune Diseases:

Celiac Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, IBS, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I'm playing life on Hard Mode.

#3 MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Have you discussed it with your Doctor? I'd wonder if maybe there is a secondary problem, or maybe just Cross contamination, I know CC is generally what kills my energy level's
you could always try B12 shots or sub-linguals

I did discuss it briefly with my doctor. It was one of those typical " thats just the way it is" for you Celiacs : /

You could be right though, im not sure what other secondary problem. Excuse my ignorance but cross contamination causing fatigue? I only associated CC with with reactional pains and discomfort rather than fatigue. I only eat fruit and vegetables, weekly dose or rice and foods rich in b12, meaning CC is quite unlikely.

Thanks for the advice though, will look into some of these b12 shots and sub-linguals

Michael

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

Michael, how about a well-balanced diet to include meats and fish, as well as fruits and veggies? Is the only protein you're getting from the shakes? Maybe you're not eating enough??? (I'm not familiar with the Arnold Ehret diet.)

If you're newly diagnosed, it's going to take time to repair all the damage that has been done by celiac. Hopefully others can chime in and give you more ideas.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Thank you Syliva. That is kind. I am quite a skeptical person when it comes to which foods should be included within a "well balanced diet", personally I dont believe humans require meat and fish to maintain a healthy body, we can rely on other foods for nutrition and vital amino acids. A very bold statement! Maybe I should start a new thread in another section.

I was diagnosed around four years ago, recently I stopped eating any grains, flours or processed foods and escaped any uncomfortable feelings or symptoms I had previously. Again, the only problem I have is fatigue some days which does have an impact on my life.

Michael

#6 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

I know we have some vegan and vegetarian members on the forum, who obviously don't eat meat. You might want to use the google button on the top right corner of your screen and search for vegetarian or vegan diets. I'm sure I've see some posts about it that may be helpful to you.

Or for more personal suggestions, you might want to see a dietitian for more guidance.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

While it sounds like you've eliminated the potential for CC from foods, it's possible you're getting it from your environment. Are you using old cutting boards, cookware, etc that may have been in contact with gluten?

I won't go so far as to say you require meats and such (although I am a firm meat-atarian) but are you getting enough protein in general? Have you called the manufacturer of your shakes to be sure what you are using is gluten free? The vitamins as well? Also, your doctor is a quack. We don't have to be walking zombies. Any medical professional who tells you that it's fine to just spend your life feeling that way isn't worth the paper his/her degree is printed on.

It's easy to say you believe you should be getting everything you need from a well balanced diet but obviously you are either getting something you shouldn't, are missing something you need or have an additional underlying health problem. While I also like to believe that I should get what I need from a well balanced diet, there is nothing wrong with a vitamin as a backup plan. It will fill the gaps for you when they need to be filled and you'll never have to worry if you find yourself having a too busy day and you don't eat as well as you know you should.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

Welcome Michael!

Depending on the level of celiac damage to your small intestine, perhaps you are not absorbing enough nutrients as it sounds like you have a good grasp on what nutrients you should be obtaining from your food. I'd vote for getting your vitamins and minerals tested to find if you are low. Perhaps you will need supplements of some kind while healing that can be discontinued once healed. Lack of B12 can cause fatigue as can lack of iron, magnesium and others.

Have you trialed removing nightshades (tomato, peppers, potato and eggplant)? Many with Celiac Disease are intolerant of these along with dairy, grains, legumes, etc. - at least until full healing can take place.

Good Luck!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: