Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Angry Front Of House Guy

2 posts in this topic

I was in a restaurant the other day and was thrilled to find they could "alter" my meal choices to make them gluten free.

Of course altering them turned out to mean just removing whole parts of the dish that I couldn't have.

Anyway I was quite drunk and forgiving by the cheese course when they brought out 6 slithers of cheese, one being coated in breadcrumbs (which they failed to tell me).

I inquired of the front of house manager and he apologised and told me I couldn't have it, and got cross that the waiter hadn't told me.

He proceeded to have an uncomfortably loud conversation with the waiter in which he was scolded and told the mistake was unacceptable.

When the front of house came back I told him that it didn't matter but he said "MISTAKES ARE UNACCEPTABLE" and went away.

I think they may have missed the point of providing gluten free food, by just doing enough to cover themselves from lawsuits and severely scolding staff in front of the whole restaurant when things go wrong.

I wanted to make a comic about this but I think that it works better as a story - I'm sure you've all had similar experiences but it amused me.

Ads by Google:

Since it "amuses" you, Howard....maybe it's best not to get drunk and order food from a restaurant? tongue.gif We have to accept responsibility and assume the consequences any time we eat out, even at well-intentioned places.

That said, I don't think it's ever acceptable to criticize someone in public.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Welllllllll, in this particular case it would be best to keep her on gluten until the results come back. The reason I say this is b/c this GI seems whacky. There's a chance you may need to go to a different GI & have the endoscopy redone. I was going to say get a new GI but since the endoscopy is on Monday then I would go forth with it rather than waiting the time it would take to get a new GI & schedule an endoscopy. This GI seems set that it's not celiac & when they get that in their brain it's usually pretty darn hard for them to admit they were wrong. My concern is that she won't take enough biopsies from the right places b/c she's either dumb about how many & where or letting her personal (already formed) opinion influence what she will do. The problem is that you can't be there in the OR with them standing on the GI's shoulders making her do the right thing. Not knowing your daughters age, the other concern is that there may not be "enough" damage just yet, it may be patchy, etc..... that with the mindset this doc has, she will poo poo the dx.  Let me say that it would be a travesty & wholly awful IF you had to put your daughter through another endoscopy but we know how very important it is for her to have an official, dyed in the wool dx. So I'm just trying to think down the line & prevent problems before they come up. I mean, this doc may not even take any biopsies. That sounds insane I realize, but really, it happens more often than you would think. I can't tell you the number of times we've had people come on here after having an endoscopy for celiac where the doc didn't take any biopsies b/c the doc is so stupid as to think they can see the damage & doesn't realize there MUST be biopsies! If you take her off gluten & heaven forbid, you have to end up putting her back on it to get further testing then chances are she's going to get much, much sicker when she's put back on gluten. That most often happens with us and I'm talking about radically sick. See, I'm basing all my thinking on the fact that despite ALL the positive celiac blood work, this dimwit doc doesn't think it's celiac & instead it's all related to the constipation. That is just so far out there, it's NUTS! She's flying in the face of hard evidence! Every test you listed was positive. I can't even begin to understand how this GI comes to her insane conclusion. THAT'S why I am so concerned. 
    • Thanks for your reply. That's what my husband and I thought too. She has a ton of symptoms that's fit celiac. Also I was going to start her gluten free diet after her biopsy on Monday cause the dr said the results take two weeks. Is there a reason I should keep her eating gluten until we get the results? Thanks for your help.
    • In reflex testing they look at a result and decide if the next test is needed.  Another example, some labs only do EMA if the Ttg is positive.
    • Her blood panel is POSITIVE!!!! She's celiac! I don't know what in the world the GI is thinking. That's crazy! The GI obviously doesn't really know celiac. The constipation is tripping her up but celiacs can be constipated as much as they can go the other way and more than 50% of dx'd celiacs presented with NO GI issues. Keep her eating gluten until you get the results of the endoscopic biopsies.
    • Your test results, to me, seem to indicate that you do not have celiac disease. (Everything is within normal levels.) And, your total IgA is high. Many people with celiac disease have low total IgA levels (10-15 times more frequently than people in the general population). The total IgA is conducted because about 3% of people are IgA deficient. If you have a very low total IgA, that can invalidate the three blood tests that rely on your IgA levels.   Plumbago
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member