4 replies to this topic

#1 txgal748

txgal748

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

I was at Taco Cabana Sunday. I ordered the street tacos. I noticed they heat up the corn and flour tortillas on the same grill. Is this considered cross contamination? I still can't tell if I have ingested gluten accidentally.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

That would indeed be CC. How much would be hard to say but more than I would want.

richard

#3 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

I agree with the previous answer! It's most definitely cross contamination. In UK the Coeliacs UK charity recommend having our own kitchen equipment like bread toasters etc., so we can avoid this problem. As for being able to tell if you have been glutened. It actually depends from person to person. Some people don't actually show any symptoms, but that does not mean they haven't been glutened and the damage to the villi in the gut is still happening, you are just not aware of it, which can have serious consequences, so please take care!
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#4 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

There's clear potential for getting gluten from that.
I haven't tried asking this with a restaurant yet, but at my mother-in-laws, she grills everything in aluminum foil for me.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#5 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

It's very important that when eating at a restaurant that the manager/staff understand what going gluten free entails. There is still a lot of people who don't understand what it's all about. Always speak to someone in authority when eating anywhere new just to be certain you don't get cross contamination.

There's clear potential for getting gluten from that.
I haven't tried asking this with a restaurant yet, but at my mother-in-laws, she grills everything in aluminum foil for me.

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: