7 replies to this topic

#1 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

I am going away this weekend and the hotel breakfast is a quick bread filled take away kind of thing. I want to bring my own hard boiled eggs. I find that whenever I travel with cooked eggs they totally stink up my cooler. The taste is fine, just the stink I hate. Anyone have any ideas how to bring hard boiled eggs that won't stink?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:12 AM

I am going away this weekend and the hotel breakfast is a quick bread filled take away kind of thing. I want to bring my own hard boiled eggs. I find that whenever I travel with cooked eggs they totally stink up my cooler. The taste is fine, just the stink I hate. Anyone have any ideas how to bring hard boiled eggs that won't stink?

We found a Lock&Lock container that's designed to hold eggs. It's shaped like an egg carton and locks down like Lock&locks do. Maybe tht would keep the smell in?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:15 AM

I bet the Lock & Lock would be good since it actually seals. I also thought of an appropriate sized glass jar with a screw on lid.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:59 AM

Or if push comes to shove, would a ZipLoc freezer bag work? I often put hard boiled eggs in it when I store them in the fridge.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 missmellie

missmellie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

Have you ever tried 2 layers of zip-type bags? When I need to store the rest of a cut onion, I place it in a zip bag, smash out the air, close the bag, and then put that whole thing down inside another bag and zip it closed. This works even with cheaper bags.

Miss Mellie

Aug. 2010 IgA+ Gliadin; IgA+ Casein; IgA+ Egg; IgA+ Soy.
Sept. 2010 IgG+ for cow's milk, peach, yeast, chili pepper, egg white & yolk, lentil, soy, cola nut, coriander/cumin/dill, nutmeg/peppercorn, sesame seed, turkey, and wheat

Hypothyroidism, arthritis, GERD, overweight, chronic sleeping issues

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Freezer bags have always worked fine for me. Though, of course, some people (like my husband) are FAR more sensitive to the smell than others. ;)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:36 AM

When I have something "stinky" to store in my fridge, I will use many layers of plastic bags to seal the smell. In your case I would put eggs into two Ziploc bags, then in any plastic container and then in 4-5 plastic bags from store (Shoprite, Pathmark). This should be good enough to seal the smell.
Ones I did that with the bread that I was freezing in the freezer full of meat and kolbasy (garlic) because I didn't want to have stinky bread and it worked. My bread was perfect. So, if this worked for my bread, it can work the opposite way- for your eggs.

#8 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

I researched further on the egg topic and found out that overcooked eggs are the ones that stink. If you don't overcook they are fine. I tried this and my cooler is smell free! I was worried that I'd undercooked them but they were perfect. I just ate two for breakfast and have no stink. Apparently I have been over cooking eggs for years!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: