108 replies to this topic

#1 BabsV

BabsV

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

Since summer is rapidly approaching I figured I'm not the only one thinking about books to read on vacation...or shows to watch.

I'm working my way through The Pirate's Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson -- a fictional account of Errol Flynn and his time in Jamaica (starting in 1946 and it includes an illegitimate love child, etc.) My hubby gave it to me for Xmas and I finally dug it out of the 'to read' pile. Not sure I'd buy it for myself but it is well written.

When I'm done with that one I'll read Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jennie Lawson. She's The Blogess online. Should be entertaining.

Also we just watched, on DVD, Luther which was a great (very dark) BBC detective show. Loved it. Each episode has a crime (usually pretty heinous) that needs to be solved but there's a baddie introduced in the first episode that reappears in later eps. Lots of mental games...not to be watched if you're feeling down. Idris Alba plays Luther and he's always amazing!

Anyone else have books/movies/shows they want to share?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:43 AM

I am attempting to read P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern, I loved the movie so I am seeing how the book compares, then there are a bunch of new James Patterson books on request at our library.

I don't watch many movies except for when a new one based off a Nicholas Sparks book comes out. As far as television though, my family is big on police shows. Our show list includes Bones, Hawaii Five-0, NCIS, NCIS LA, Criminal Minds, CSI, CSI NY, Blue Bloods and NYC 22. My daughter and I enjoy medical shows which include House, Private Practice and Grey's Anatomy. Other shows that we watch are American Idol (my two girls love watching this), Fashion Star (if only I could become a fashion designer, but instead I just have notebooks full of designs), Undercover Boss and Once Upon a Time (very interesting twists on fairy tales). Not sure what we will watch after May sweeps though, probably reruns as they come on or the cooking shows that come on Living Well Network and the Create Channel...right now my husband and I watch these late at night.

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
and a biography of the Roosevelts by Doris Goodwin.

I have about 20 books piled up here... :rolleyes:

Watching: The Killing on AMC (dark) and Game of Thrones (even darker and bloodier) and waiting for Boardwalk Empire and Downton Abbey to return (they take too long between seasons!)

TV series I never miss: NCIS and Person of Interest.

MOVIE: I just watched Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (did not like the book, but hubs did very much so he convinced me to watch the movie) and I told him the ending just before it happened. He says "C'mon, how did you figure that out??" Duh.

Guilty pleasure? and one I would never, ever admit to :lol: : Watching "Revenge" on ABC. Totally bitchy and devious and I like seeing her take down her enemies one by one and avenge her father's death. Cannot figure out how her dog is still alive after all these years, though?? He would be about 17 or 18 but he still looks pretty perky to me ... :lol: as if THAT is the ONLY hard part to believe?? :lol: :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

I've been reading a book called 'Buttons and Foes'. Don't know who wrote it and I'm too lazy today to run up stairs and look. It's just a fun mystery about a woman who runs a dry cleaners who is willed these dresses that are covered with a womans button collection. The woman was perhaps murdered and dry cleaner is trying to find out why and if the buttons are valuable and the reason her friend was killed.
I also have been watching The Killing but a couple of my favorite shows, Being Human (both the BBC and SyFy) and The Fades are on break right now. I am totally addicted to Sheldon and the guys on The Big Bang Theory. Grimm is fun also. I am also impatiently awaiting 'The Woman in Black' to come out on pay-per-view since I missed it at the theater. I tend to watch the scary shows the day after they are on so I can watch them in the daylight hours. Heck gotta have something to do when I am waiting out the 3 hours when I get up before I can do anything. Ah for the days when I could get out of bed, get dressed and run out the door. Sure do miss them.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

yes, Raven! the BIG Bang Theory is hilarious--they are very funny and I can goof on my scientist hubs at the same time!! :lol:

And I never miss Fringe.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

I have a pile of unread books, including the newest one by Ann Rice, The Wolf Gift, but it is baseball season and I'm pretty much glued to that. :) We also watch NCIS, Bones, Idol, The Finder, Swamp People and a few others. We love movies too.....The Debt just came from Netflix.
Gluten Free since 2010

#7 raea2002

raea2002

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Oh The Lucky One book by Nicolas sparks! I just started reading daughters for a time by Jennifer Handford. So far it's really good! I also like The Pact by Jodi Picoult.

#8 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:20 AM

Oh The Lucky One book by Nicolas sparks! I just started reading daughters for a time by Jennifer Handford. So far it's really good! I also like The Pact by Jodi Picoult.

I love anything by Nicholas Sparks, I own all his books! I enjoy most of Jodi Picoult's also, but those I get from the library since I don't usually reread her stuff.

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

Big Bang Theory! Re- runs on every night that my boys watch. Very educational for boys whose favorite classes are physics. They try hard not to become Sheldon. ;)

Tried to read the 50 Shades of Grey. Really didn't get far. I hate " heroines" that let themselves be victims. Worse, a woman that lets a man degrade and physically abuse her.

Just got an unauthorized autobiography of Agatha Christie. I'll let you know how that goes.

Recently read" Miss peregrines pequilar children". It's a kids book but quite interesting.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

Recently read" Miss peregrines pequilar children". It's a kids book but quite interesting.

I read that one recently and really enjoyed it. Baum's Oz series is one of my favorite reread often series. The modern take off on the Oz books is pretty good also. Wicked was one of them and that was great. I am still looking for the rest of them.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

Wicked was one of them and that was great. I am still looking for the rest of them.

I thought Wicked was one of the best books I have read in the last few years (and I read a lot of books). I hated for it to end. :(

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

I am a huge Dean Koontz fan. My favorites are Watchers, From the Corner of His Eye, One Door Away from Heaven, and the Odd Thomas and Frankenstein series. His stories, to me, are so hopeful, and have such a feeling of family and enduring loyalty - type stuff. Love Dean Koontz! Not the only thing I read, of course, I'm such a bookworm. I'd have to list favorite authors rather than favorite books. For Tv.... I like 24 or other crime shows for intense TV, and stuff like Burn Notice or Stargate for fun Tv. Anybody watch Leverage, or Farscape?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

When I'm done with that one I'll read Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jennie Lawson. She's The Blogess online. Should be entertaining.

That book got a great review. Please let us know what you think?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 jess_gf

jess_gf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

I just finished The Hunger Games trilogy and quite liked it. I'm not sure what I'll pick next!
Gluten Free since 11/2010
Dairy Free since 01/2011

#15 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Ooo NCIS and Bones! My 2 favorite shows! Love McGee! Haha!
I'm reading the Bible...best book ever :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: