Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Reading

109 posts in this topic

To be honest... if they did not come out in EBook I probably still would not be reading them... to spoiled by my nook! :)

Ads by Google:

I love non-fiction (any book that provides an opportunity to learn about something new!).

I'm currently reading "What a Plant Knows" by Daniel Chamovitz: http://www.whataplantknows.com/

What a Plant Knows is a rare inside look at what life is really like for the grass we walk on, the flowers we sniff, and the trees we climb. It is a true field guide to the senses for science buffs and green thumbs, and for anyone who seeks a greater understanding of our place in nature.

I've got a few books on the go right now:

• Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar by Lustig
  • Good Calories, Bad Calories by Taubes
  • Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (Naked Empire)
  • Beyonders: A World Without Heroes by Mull - I'm reading this one outloud to my boys over lunch time lately... A good time for reading fiction or for school - they are feeding and happy, and have to sit and listen until they're done.  LOL
  • Sea of Monsters by Riodan - We're listening to this one in the car. The Percy Jackson and Olympians books ae very well done - perfect for boys.

I'm a book junkie.  :D

As usual, the vast and teetering piles of books in the house are growing and growing. At the moment I am immersed in food science and on the lighter side, some tame murder by Dorothy Sayers. Oh, and ancient Israelite history.

How on earth did this thread get by me? I went to college in my 40s and, despite my science background, got a degree in English. I used to say that all I wanted to do was find a job where I could read all day. Trouble was... I forgot to say that I wanted a job where I could read good fiction all day!! I ended up working in medical publishing and read about orthopedics and ophthalmology all day!! UGH!

I had long work commutes in my life. I'd join the library in every town I worked in and listen to ALL of Dickens and Austen on audiobooks. I can not begin to tell you how alive the stories become when someone is reading to you!! I'd get to work or home and not remember how I got there cause I was so engrossed in the story! Once, in the book Jackdaws by Ken Follett, the characters were peeking thru a window at German soldiers who had discovered their safe house and I yelled, "SHOOT THEM!! SHOOT THEM!!" at the car celiac disease player!!

I've loved all of Ken Follett's books, especially Pillars of the Earth and its sequel, most of Stephen King's... the earlier ones..., Isabella Allende's (sp?), Amy Tan's, any of the Bronte's, and so many others. At the moment I'm rereading Faulkner, having studied him intensely in college. Talk about the darker underside of the South!!

I am just about to finish Pillars of the Earth tonight. Great book! So different from what he usually writes and better, IMO.

Loved Pillars of the Earth!

The sequel was good too... can't remember the name! I spent the better part of an entire weekend on the couch w/ it. Hubs walked thru the living room and said, "Are you STILL reading the same book???" Ha ha.

I don't think I ever read the sequel... hmmm, might have to get it for my vacation.  ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• As a GI specialty nurse who also has celiac I can tell you that it can not be diagnosed by CT and rarely unless you have severe disease can it be diagnosed by colonoscopy.  Those that have had it diagnosed by colonoscopy have such because their MDs were above to get into the small bowel from the bottom and take biopsys.  Celiac damage is not seen in the large intestine.  Also many people do not have diarrhea, many have constipation or a 50/50 mix between the two.  Celiac has 300 connected symptoms and sometimes no symptoms at all.  It's called the " great pretender" because of this.
    • Okay, thanks! I am 24 but my husband and I don't plan on having kids. However, the more I thought about it, the more I think I should get one for my brother's sake. Especially after my doctor's office called this evening to say my bloodwork tested positive for Celiac. Guess I will be on this forum longer than I thought!
    • You just got diagnosed Celiac and are wondering how serious this really is. What if there is just a little gluten in your food? What if you use the same toaster for your gluten-free bread as your wife's/husband's regular bread? What if those french fries are gluten-free but they fry them in the same fryer as those nice gluten coated onion rings? View the full article
    • Hi, I've never been on a forum before but thought I might find some answers here.  I have never been tested for celiac but a nurse practitioner I saw a few years ago told me she thought I would benefit from a gluten free diet.  At first, I thought I could never do this but after some encouragement I did try.  I did feel much better after going gluten free.  She never tested me for celiac. I turned 50 years old last year and I had a colonoscopy for the first time and had three polyps removed.  The surgeon said that my colon looked like I was a chronic laxative user.  I haven't used a laxative for a very long time.  I was at the time drinking a natural tea to help me to have bowel movements.  Before starting the tea I had always had difficulty with bowel movements and never had them once a day but with the tea I was able to go once a day. At the end of last month I developed severe pain after I would eat (I had my gallbladder removed at the age of 19).  One night the pain got so bad my husband had to drive me to the ER.  My liver functions were high as well as a few other things.  They did a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis that showed wall thickening of my transverse colon and minimal irregularity involving the transverse colon.  My descending and sigmoid colon were collapsed.  There were a few tiny mesenteric lymph nodes present on the right.  They diagnosed me officially with colitis but said that most likely I had a gallstone (even though I don't have a gallbladder) that had come from the liver and had gotten stuck in the common bile duct (it did not show up on the CT scan).  I usually have a high ferritin level too.  I've been home from the hospital stay for about a month now and still have tenderness in the epigastric area. Some of this may not have anything to do with celiac but was wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with celiac by CT scan or colonoscopy or if anyone has had the same problems that I have had and found out what has caused it.  I cannot see the gastroenterologist who saw me in the hospital for a couple of months.  Can you have celiac and not have diarrhea as I am just the opposite? Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!  
    • I had an acne flair up after going gluten free but it ended up improving and some long-term back acne I had been dealing with actually went away.  I think going gluten free was a shock to my system and at first I actually felt worse but after about a month things got better. 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Aly46