108 replies to this topic

#16 BabsV

BabsV

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:53 AM

I just finished Let's Pretend This Never Happened (on audiobook -- totally addicted to them for when I walk the dog...we have a Border Terrier and he needs serious exercise as in 45-60 minute daily walks or he turns into the equivalent of a very bored and mischeivious 3-year old child...sorry, rambling...)

IT WAS HYSTERICAL!!!

There was one chapter that literally had me laughing so hard my sides hurt (did not help my continuing abdo pain but nice to laugh so uncontrollably) and I was crying. CRYING! When I tried to tell my husband about it later that day at dinner it set me off again and he and my daughter just stared at me bemused because I couldn't stop laughing enough to speak clearly.

It probably helps that my hubby is a Texan, and I had a friend who lived/worked in San Angelo (near where she grew up) so some things that might seem sort of "huh" to those who don't know the 'Texan' attitude made total sense.

But there were also some rather sober parts...if you follow the Bloggess online you know some of her health issues and she does touch on them.

Also, if you have issues with animals erm, her dad was/is a taxidermist and that did have an impact on her life as a child. As in road kill, him hunting, etc. So it might not be for you.

Now on to the latest Sookie Stackhouse!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:57 AM

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

Have you finished this? Wondering what you think/thought about it. I loved the time he was in Mexico with Rivera, Kahlo, etc. but overall the entire book didn't draw me in like her novels usually do. Think my favs have to remain The Poisonwood Bible and Prodigal Summer. Oh, also LOVED Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life.

#18 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:00 AM

Now on to the latest Sookie Stackhouse!

The new one is out? Guess I will be going to the library :)

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

Have you finished this? Wondering what you think/thought about it. I loved the time he was in Mexico with Rivera, Kahlo, etc. but overall the entire book didn't draw me in like her novels usually do. Think my favs have to remain The Poisonwood Bible and Prodigal Summer. Oh, also LOVED Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life.

The Poisonwood Bible was a fabulous novel.
The Bean Trees was very good.
But, I have to admit, I'm slugging through The Lacuna
like it's molasses. Not ready to give up just yet.

But I have been known to get even 200 or more pages in
to something and decide I can't take it anymore and just chuck the whole thing :lol:

and sometimes, just one page is a clue that it's not for me.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:47 AM

Also, if you have issues with animals erm, her dad was/is a taxidermist and that did have an impact on her life as a child. As in road kill, him hunting, etc. So it might not be for you.

thanks for that head's up.
Someone gave me The Story of Edgar Sawtelle a few years ago.
That was the WORST ending to a novel! I was actually pissed off for days over that one. :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#21 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

I just finished reading The Doomsday Key by James Rollins.
It's fiction with religion, history and science, an action thriller. It was fascinating, all about GM crops, especially corn and how they are doing it to control over population. At the end of the book he tells the reader what is true and not true.
Way to much of it is true.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#22 mboebel

mboebel

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:07 AM

Watching - Game of Thrones & Mad Men, while I wait not so patiently for True Blood & Downton Abbey to resume

Reading- That Woman: the Life of Wallis Simpson, the Duchess of Windsor (excellent, when I actually have the time to read. We are closing on a house in less than a month!)
diagnosed November 2009

#23 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

I watched a documentary a few weeks back called "I AM". I highly recommend watching.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Watching - Game of Thrones & Mad Men, while I wait not so patiently for True Blood & Downton Abbey to resume

Reading- That Woman: the Life of Wallis Simpson, the Duchess of Windsor (excellent, when I actually have the time to read. We are closing on a house in less than a month!)

I know this is off topic, but I have to say it:

Your dog has the most adorable face! OMG, what a doll!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#25 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

Second that!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Second that!

oh, I WANT one now.....honey!!! I want this dog...come lOOK!!!!!please, please, please....

(I'll let you know if he goes for it ;) ....)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#27 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

That dog is an absolute cutie! I've been wondering what to use for my profile pic and now I think I'll try to get a photo of our Border Terrier. If I can get him to sit still. He's not big on getting his photo taken.

And back on topic...I just finished LOST ON PLANET CHINA by J. Marteen Troost which was hysterical and oh so true for those of us who have lived in China! I highly recommend it.

Also just watched TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY (the new version with Gary Oldman as Smiley.) Well done but a little slow...plus the early 1970s were just not a visually pleasing time in terms of clothes/hairstyles!

#28 mboebel

mboebel

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

That dog is an absolute cutie! I've been wondering what to use for my profile pic and now I think I'll try to get a photo of our Border Terrier. If I can get him to sit still. He's not big on getting his photo taken.

I just held a little piece of cheese riiiight above my iPhone. Hilde falls for it every time.
diagnosed November 2009

#29 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

I just held a little piece of cheese riiiight above my iPhone. Hilde falls for it every time.

OMG! Brilliant! I will have to try it. Ennis will do anything for cheese. Seriously.

#30 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

Reading anything by Daphne deMaurier I can get my hands on. She wrote "Rebecca", "My Cousin Rachel", "The House on the Strand". Absolutely brilliant.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: