108 replies to this topic

#31 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:29 AM

Reading anything by Daphne deMaurier I can get my hands on. She wrote "Rebecca", "My Cousin Rachel", "The House on the Strand". Absolutely brilliant.

Loved Rebecca. I used to teach a course called "Mystery and Detective Fiction" and that book was on the reading list. GREAT novel.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:49 AM

Loved Rebecca. I used to teach a course called "Mystery and Detective Fiction" and that book was on the reading list. GREAT novel.

Are you serious? Mystery and Detective fiction is my favourite genre in books. Especially British (i.e. Agatha Christie). You must know all about her, Ngaio Marsh, Erle Stanley Garner, Rex Stout, Anne Perry...
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#33 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Are you serious? Mystery and Detective fiction is my favourite genre in books.

It's been a while, but in addition to that novel, we read Turn of the Screw by Henry James, some short stories by Christie, Poe, Lord Dunsany, Roald Dahl; ...what else? oh, the Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, Other Voices, Other Rooms, can't recall the rest. It was a fun course!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#34 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

It's been a while, but in addition to that novel, we read Turn of the Screw by Henry James, some short stories by Christie, Poe, Lord Dunsany, Roald Dahl; ...what else? oh, the Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, Other Voices, Other Rooms, can't recall the rest. It was a fun course!

Oh, isn't Henry James awesome? Same with Wilkie Collins - I have many of his books on my Kobo.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#35 BabsV

BabsV

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

Are you serious? Mystery and Detective fiction is my favourite genre in books. Especially British (i.e. Agatha Christie). You must know all about her, Ngaio Marsh, Erle Stanley Garner, Rex Stout, Anne Perry...

Have you read Tana French? She's Irish and her books, so far, are in the police procedural vein but they are just sooooo Irish. In order they are: IN THE WOODS, THE LIKENESS, FAITHFUL PLACE. They are a loosely linked trilogy. I think my favorite was THE LIKENESS and then IN THE WOODS and FAITHFUL PLACE. The characters and stories really got into my head! I think she's got a new one coming out.

Also just discovered Kate Atkinson...I picked up STARTED EARLY, TOOK MY DOG from my book club (we've got a 'library' and share books) and it was a great read. Apparently the main character in that book is featured in other novels. I am not sure they are published in the States...if not, I will have to order from Book Depository (thank goodness they have free shipping to the States!)

#36 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Have you read Tana French? She's Irish and her books, so far, are in the police procedural vein but they are just sooooo Irish. In order they are: IN THE WOODS, THE LIKENESS, FAITHFUL PLACE. They are a loosely linked trilogy. I think my favorite was THE LIKENESS and then IN THE WOODS and FAITHFUL PLACE. The characters and stories really got into my head! I think she's got a new one coming out.

Also just discovered Kate Atkinson...I picked up STARTED EARLY, TOOK MY DOG from my book club (we've got a 'library' and share books) and it was a great read. Apparently the main character in that book is featured in other novels. I am not sure they are published in the States...if not, I will have to order from Book Depository (thank goodness they have free shipping to the States!)

Am going to see if I can find Tana French in our library. I have not read her but I would like to! Am glad they are Irish because my favourite books are British - usually written long ago but I am game to her...

#37 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Am going to see if I can find Tana French in our library. I have not read her but I would like to! Am glad they are Irish because my favourite books are British - usually written long ago but I am game to her...

I have to warn you the books are not at all like American mysteries...I know a woman (American) who read IN THE WOODS and hated (more like HATED!!!!) the ending with a passion because it was not at all a typical American mystery ending. I found it very very appropriate and actually liked how the author did it. Not giving anything away by saying this...read the book, you'll understand. :)

#38 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

I have to warn you the books are not at all like American mysteries...I know a woman (American) who read IN THE WOODS and hated (more like HATED!!!!) the ending with a passion because it was not at all a typical American mystery ending. I found it very very appropriate and actually liked how the author did it. Not giving anything away by saying this...read the book, you'll understand. :)

That's ok - I prefer British over any other mysteries (i.e. Daphne DuMaurier, Agatha Christie). Plus I am not American, I am Canadian. :P Intriguing endings are great. There are many of those in the Anne Perry Victorian mysteries, too.

#39 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

That's ok - I prefer British over any other mysteries (i.e. Daphne DuMaurier, Agatha Christie). Plus I am not American, I am Canadian. :P Intriguing endings are great. There are many of those in the Anne Perry Victorian mysteries, too.

You'll do fine with it most likely. I also love DuMaurier; might have to try Christie again as I was a huge fan as a teenager but haven't even looked at any of her books in over 20 years. Gasp...I am getting old!!! :o

I'm not familiar with Anne Perry and will have to check those out. Currently listening to a Ruth Rendell on audiobook, THE TREE OF HANDS. Well-done but sort of a downer (hey, not like Rendell writes uplifting happy books, right?!?!) I think that combined with the cold and rain we've been having have not been helping my mood. I need to move to something light and frivolous until the sun comes out.

#40 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

There are many of those in the Anne Perry Victorian mysteries, too.

Wow, I knew the name Anne Perry sounded familiar...she's one of the girls from the Parker-Hulme Murder!

Any recommendations from her extremely long list of published titles?

#41 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

Enjoyed seeing all your interests!

I'm catching up on some "oldies" from TV: Dick van Dyke Show, Quantum Leap, and Magnum PI.

I have a long list of books waiting. Currently reading "Bleak House" by Charles Dickens. My first-ever Dickens book besides "A Christmas Carol". I'm loving it. I thought Dickens would be totally stuffy and serious, but he has a sense of humor that continues to surprise.

Next up is a trio of Shirly Jackson books, "Life Among the Savages", "The Haunting of Hill House", and "We Have Always Lived in the Castle".
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#42 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:02 AM

I'm watching 'Hot in Cleveland'. I love Betty White.....
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#43 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

Enjoyed seeing all your interests!

I'm catching up on some "oldies" from TV: Dick van Dyke Show, Quantum Leap, and Magnum PI.

I have a long list of books waiting. Currently reading "Bleak House" by Charles Dickens. My first-ever Dickens book besides "A Christmas Carol". I'm loving it. I thought Dickens would be totally stuffy and serious, but he has a sense of humor that continues to surprise.

Next up is a trio of Shirly Jackson books, "Life Among the Savages", "The Haunting of Hill House", and "We Have Always Lived in the Castle".

I adore Dickens and have read many. I think "Bleak House" is one of my favourites. His writing style is pleasing, as is his sense of humour as you mention.

Just finished "We Have Always Lived in the Castle". Love Shirley Jackson, too.

Have you tried Daphne DuMaurier? She is one of the most brilliant authors ever in my opinion (and I read at least 250 books per year). My favourites are "Rebecca", "My Cousin Rachel" and "The House on the Strand". Absolutely amazing. These are the books that I cannot put down. I was housesitting when reading "The House on the Strand" last summer and I took it with me cooking, to the bathroom, outside, everywhere. It was that compelling.

#44 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

I Love Jackson, DuMaurier, Dickens, and Dick Van Dyke and Betty White! :) Talk about eclectic tastes!

Reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese right now.

Excellent novel.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#45 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

I adore Dickens and have read many. I think "Bleak House" is one of my favourites. His writing style is pleasing, as is his sense of humour as you mention.

Just finished "We Have Always Lived in the Castle". Love Shirley Jackson, too.

Have you tried Daphne DuMaurier? She is one of the most brilliant authors ever in my opinion (and I read at least 250 books per year). My favourites are "Rebecca", "My Cousin Rachel" and "The House on the Strand". Absolutely amazing. These are the books that I cannot put down. I was housesitting when reading "The House on the Strand" last summer and I took it with me cooking, to the bathroom, outside, everywhere. It was that compelling.

Oh yes! When I saw you post about her, I meant to comment. I read "Rebecca" and "My Cousin Rachel" and absolutely loved duMaurier but that was a lot of years ago! I think my daughter (English major...she's guiding my reading list, LOL) read "House on the Strand" and liked it. I'll probably re-read "Rebecca" soon, I've been thinking about it for a while.

I Love Jackson, DuMaurier, Dickens, and Dick Van Dyke and Betty White! :) Talk about eclectic tastes!

Reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese right now.

Excellent novel.

LOL! Oh yes, Betty is such a charmer! It IS funny how different all those people are yet all so wonderfully likeable!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: