108 replies to this topic

#46 auuudriana

auuudriana

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Just started reading The Sookie Stackhouse Chronicles...my manager is obsessed with True Blood and lent them all to me.
Soda free January 2012 ha

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 alex11602

alex11602

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

Just started reading The Sookie Stackhouse Chronicles...my manager is obsessed with True Blood and lent them all to me.

The books are totally different then the show is, personally I like the books alot better then the show.

#48 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

Oh yes! When I saw you post about her, I meant to comment. I read "Rebecca" and "My Cousin Rachel" and absolutely loved duMaurier but that was a lot of years ago! I think my daughter (English major...she's guiding my reading list, LOL) read "House on the Strand" and liked it. I'll probably re-read "Rebecca" soon, I've been thinking about it for a while.

I am impressed. I could not get through "House on the Strand" -- I gave it a valiant effort but that book just didn't do it for me...

Next up for me is the new Dexter novel, "Double Dexter," -- think the earlier books were better than the last couple AND I'm always having to remind myself of what has happened in the books versus what has happened in the TV series because they are very different at this point!

#49 rml97

rml97

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

Some of my favorite titles:

1. Prophecy of the Sisters (trilogy)
2. Book Theif
3. Tiger Moon
4. If I Stay/ Where She Went
5. Hunger Games (of course!!)

#50 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

I really only recognize one of those titles, and that's because I went to see the movie last night! I'm a fantasy reader myself

I'm just finishing the second book in the Genesis of Shannara series. Very good if you're into Terry Brooks, ties two series together, I'm really enjoying it.

Mostly though, I'm a Mercedes Lackey fan. I can not recommend my favorite trilogy enough, which is Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise and Magic's Price.

I also love Stephen King short stories. Not so much his novels, they're okay but just don't generally have the same level of awesomeness his short stories do.

Edit: As I hit the post button my husband walks up behind me and is like "what does Stephen King have to do with celiac? I'm like he writes horror, and getting a celiac diagnosis is pretty horrifying. DUH!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#51 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

Adelaide, That edit is flipping hysterical. .lmbo

#52 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

Just stumbled on this thread. I read constantly. I love Nevada Barr's books, especically the Anna Pigeon series. Have any of you read Greg Isles? Try his The Quiet Game and Turning Angel. For funny entertainment there is anything by Janet Evanovich, especially the numbered ones (One For the Money through Eighteen).

#53 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

I haven't contributed to this thread yet, partially because my taste in books is so eclectic you will all think I'm strange. (But then again, I've been here long enough for you to KNOW that already!)

My very favorite author in the world is Jane Austen. I have read all six of her books and the fragments dozens of times. As a matter of fact, when 9/11 happened, like many folks I could not read at all. No concentration. But when I finally felt able to read, I reached for Pride and Prejudice. So soothing.

My second favorite author is Larry Niven. He writes hard science fiction. I recommend Ringworld in particular. And one he wrote with Jerry Pournelle called The Mote in God's Eye.

I also love John Steinbeck. And Larry McMurtry. And Steven King.

Oh yeah, anything about King Arthur, from Steinbeck to Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon is fantastic.

Basically, if it has words, I'll read it. I haven't owned a TV in decades. I'd much rather sit and read in the evening than do just about anything else. So yeah, anything from the classics to science fiction to cereal boxes. It's all good.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#54 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

I haven't contributed to this thread yet, partially because my taste in books is so eclectic you will all think I'm strange. (But then again, I've been here long enough for you to KNOW that already!)

My very favorite author in the world is Jane Austen. I have read all six of her books and the fragments dozens of times. As a matter of fact, when 9/11 happened, like many folks I could not read at all. No concentration. But when I finally felt able to read, I reached for Pride and Prejudice. So soothing.

My second favorite author is Larry Niven. He writes hard science fiction. I recommend Ringworld in particular. And one he wrote with Jerry Pournelle called The Mote in God's Eye.

I also love John Steinbeck. And Larry McMurtry. And Steven King.

Oh yeah, anything about King Arthur, from Steinbeck to Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon is fantastic.

Basically, if it has words, I'll read it. I haven't owned a TV in decades. I'd much rather sit and read in the evening than do just about anything else. So yeah, anything from the classics to science fiction to cereal boxes. It's all good.

I, too, love Jane Austen. It was wonderful seeing where she grew up and wrote in England. And the Bronte sisters. And William Thackery Makepeace's "Vanity Fair". Anything that genre is lovely in my mind. Oh, and Wilkie Collins, Thomas Hardy... The classics. How could I forget Charles Dickens "Bleak House", "Tale of Two Cities" and so on? Wonderful.

I read on average nearly 300 books a year. Keeps my mind occupied and sharp! I could not handle not having a book in my hands. I do not watch TV, either, as my preference is for books which are like friends to me.

Have you tried Daphne du Maurier? She is insanely brilliant.

I am really into Victorian upstairs/downstairs books. The class distinction is fascinating. Also love reading about ancient Egypt, Israel, Jordan...

One of my favourite authors ever is Agatha Christie. I've read all her books several times each. I just can't help it.

One genre I cannot stand is science fiction. Another is horror. And thirdly, fake romance/bodice rippers.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#55 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

Some of my favorite titles:

1. Prophecy of the Sisters (trilogy)
2. Book Theif
3. Tiger Moon
4. If I Stay/ Where She Went
5. Hunger Games (of course!!)

I'm just getting started with Delerium, it's rather Hunger Games-ish..pretty good so far!
~**caselynn**~

#56 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

I'm just getting started with Delerium, it's rather Hunger Games-ish..pretty good so far!

Unsure whether I would like Hunger Games. Is it Sci Fi-ish? Harry Potter-ish? Abhor those so am wondering about HG. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try and see!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#57 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Unsure whether I would like Hunger Games. Is it Sci Fi-ish? Harry Potter-ish? Abhor those so am wondering about HG. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try and see!

ETA: Sorry for the double post. My computer was acting up and it did not look as though the first one posted.

It is a bit sci-fi, but more on along the lines of a cross of twilight sort of romance and Big Brother, did you read that one? Lol I may re-read that one soon! Ofcourse it is laced with a love story and a heroine. It might be worth checking out, I didn't know if I'd like it and loved it right away. 😃
~**caselynn**~

#58 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'm not the only one who does this?!?!?! YAY!!! Just need words in a row, whatever lands in front of my face, it's gettin read.

Do you like the Stephen R. Lawhead Arthur books?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#59 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:00 AM

Game of Thrones reading it until it's ready to purchase (we don't have expensive cable bundle like we did when DH had a job)
The Marriage Plot
Anything on JFK, jr. (I watch RHONYC and one of the characters wrote a great book What Remains),
ANYTHING by Louise Hay. Very positive and enlightening with a lot of Affirmations
Dexter, Louie C.K.,Damages, Walking Dead (my son took a Zombie course at Brown last semester).

I know I've read many more and will add on. Having a Kindle Fire makes it so much easier to bring all for books with you. I also have developed some come & go vision problems so being able to enlarge the font is a lifesaver for an avid reader!

Loey

#60 nomoregluten

nomoregluten

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:26 AM

Huge fan of contemporary authors like Paul Auster and Murakami. Highly recommended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: