108 replies to this topic

#76 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

For those of you who love to travel (or dream of it), this may appeal. Instead of taking a book in with me to the bathroom I request travel brochures from various countries. You do not have to become involved in a book - just drool over the photos. Most of the brochures I order are B&B accommodations that take ages to get through. Right now I am "reading" a big glossy brochure on the National Trust properties in the UK. Does anyone else go to this extreme? The last ones were on Slovenia.

I take my Kobo or a book with me to appointments, too. I have so many piles of books in the house right now it's almost insane! My husband cannot keep up with putting up bookshelves. :lol:

I love travel brochures!!
Hubs got me a NOOK last Christmas, but I do not like it.
I like the FEEL and SMELL of books. I keep trying to turn the top right corner of the NOOK ---as if it's a "page" :lol: (old habits?)

But our bookshelves are overflowing !! and there are neat piles of books on the floor right now.

hey, some women like shoes....me? books, cooking "toys", and bunnies (not alive ones...they are in the back yard...)

I still have my story books from when I was a wee one. Daddy read those to me (over and over!) and I have so many good memories wrapped inside those covers.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#77 VydorScope

VydorScope

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

But our bookshelves are overflowing !! and there are neat piles of books on the floor right now.

For a while, I was moving to a new address every year, and by a while I mean 8-10 years. Had to give up all my books. Now with my nook, I never have to do that again! :D

- Vincent -

#78 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

I like the FEEL and SMELL of books. I keep trying to turn the top right corner of the NOOK ---as if it's a "page" :lol: (old habits?)

hey, some women like shoes....me? books, cooking "toys", and bunnies (not alive ones...they are in the back yard...)

I still have my story books from when I was a wee one. Daddy read those to me (over and over!) and I have so many good memories wrapped inside those covers.

My Kobo only comes out when we travel so I do not need to take a thousand books along with me. I have 300 books downloaded on it which will be sufficient for our upcoming trip in three weeks! I'm with you on real books. There will never, ever be a replacement for the feel, look, smell of them. Or libraries. I will continue going into a real library for as long as I am physically able to do so. I love your little girl story - that is just precious.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#79 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

I'm not a big sci-fi fan, (sorry all those who are, just not my thing) yet I love to watch Fringe.

And by romance do you mean the ones with a Fabio type on the cover, his long hair blowing back as he holds the woman almost upside down in an impossible back stretch with her tatas falling out romance?

or

Wuthering Heights ill-fated wanna cut your wrists you're so sad after reading romance?

or

a floof romance like The Notebook?

if so, I do not like them much either.

The only type of romance I read is the Wuthering Heights classic sort. Same with Emma, etc. but none of this modern fluff romamce stuff that has no real meaning or depth.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#80 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'm not a big sci-fi fan, (sorry all those who are, just not my thing) yet I love to watch Fringe.

And by romance do you mean the ones with a Fabio type on the cover, his long hair blowing back as he holds the woman almost upside down in an impossible back stretch with her tatas falling out romance?

or

Wuthering Heights ill-fated wanna cut your wrists you're so sad after reading romance?

or

a floof romance like The Notebook?

if so, I do not like them much either.

Yeah, I mean floof and Fabio romance. I like the Wuthering Heights, Rebecca type.
I binge read. Right now it's all Sci Fi/Fantasy, in a couple months it might be thrillers etc but I will read anything I can get my hands on rather than not read.
I have a number of books lined up to read, Tuesday's With Morrie, What They Carried and one of my daughters books called The Girl With The Glass Feet.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#81 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

It was good... but... Phantoms still wins. :P To much was known about Watchers, Phantoms was much more unknown as you went. :huh:

Ah, see, suspense is not a selling point with me in a novel. If I pretty much know what's going to happen, but I desperately want to find out anyway, THAT'S a good book.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#82 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:04 AM

Ah, see, suspense is not a selling point with me in a novel. If I pretty much know what's going to happen, but I desperately want to find out anyway, THAT'S a good book.

That applies for me mainly in the second, third, forth... time reading a book. :)

- Vincent -

#83 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:42 AM

I love my kindle but will always hang onto special books. I agree about the feel & smell of books. I work that libraries will fall by the wayside.

Oh, my favorite childhood book was The Lonely Doll by Edith Wright. I got it as a gift when I was 5 and I desperately wished it was a doll. It became a treasured possession over the years. When my first husband passed away I had an enormous amount of things to give our nephews but nothing for our niece. I didn't think I'd be able to have children so I gave her the Lonely Doll. When I had Tony I so wished I still had the book. Superman found the 40th Anniversary Edition and it was a small book with a doll. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hugs,
Loey

#84 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

That applies for me mainly in the second, third, forth... time reading a book. :)

Probably another reason I love Watchers so much, I'm a big re-reader. I never get tired of Einstein. Phantoms, on the other hand? Only read it once- no interest in revisiting the characters. I also love Odd Thomas, and the Frankenstein books.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#85 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

I dunno who mentioned this book to me, (it could even be earlier in the thread for all I know :lol: )

but Jenny Lawson's
Let's Pretend this Never Happened is knock- down drag out hysterically funny stuff. She uses the F word a lot for those of you who do not wish to read that word.

I mean, it is " laugh out loud and dramatically read parts to the hubs funny" stuff---and he laughs too.

She is the Bloggess. Says whatever the heck she feels like.

I admire that in a gal.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#86 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

I dunno who mentioned this book to me, (it could even be earlier in the thread for all I know :lol: )

but Jenny Lawson's
Let's Pretend this Never Happened is knock- down drag out hysterically funny stuff. She uses the F word a lot for those of you who do not wish to read that word.

I mean, it is " laugh out loud and dramatically read parts to the hubs funny" stuff---and he laughs too.

She is the Bloggess. Says whatever the heck she feels like.

I admire that in a gal.

Oh oh oh oh oh! I know I listed this one near the beginning of this thread -- that book cracked me. I listened to it on audiobook (read by the author!) while walking the dog and I'm sure there are some people back in Poland convinced I am unstable since I'd cackle as I wandered through the park!

Now that we're back in the States I am taking every advantage I can of the local branch of our public library. I'm almost done with THE FUTURE OF US. I picked it up to see if it would be ok for my daughter (she's 11 but reads at a 10th-11th grade level or so the school tells me...and finding age appropriate topics in books that don't bore her can be a big challenge!) Interesting premise and pretty good for a YA book but I think she needs another year or two before she reads it.

After that I'm picking up THE PRISONER OF HEAVEN by Carlos Ruiz Zafn. SHADOW OF THE WIND is one of my all time favorite books...and apparently the Cemetery of Forgotten Books makes an appearance in this one.

#87 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

I read a book by Kate Atkinson at the beginning of summer - When will there be Good News: - which I really enjoyed.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#88 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:07 AM

I'm sure there are some people back in Poland convinced I am unstable since I'd cackle as I wandered through the park!

After that I'm picking up THE PRISONER OF HEAVEN by Carlos Ruiz Zafn. SHADOW OF THE WIND is one of my all time favorite books.

Cackling, wandering and seemingly unstable... well, that could describe me, too, sometimes. :lol:

Shadow of the Wind is a remarkable novel!!! and I had not thought about it (since I read it a few years ago) in a long time. Thanks for the memory. Let me know how you like this new one, please?
Happy reading!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#89 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

I finished PRISONER OF HEAVEN -- the third in the series of books related to the Cemetary of Forgotten Books first seen in SHADOW OF THE WIND. I really liked PoH...and if you want to know what happened with David Martin from ANGEL'S GAME (second book in the 'series') this one is for you!

#90 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

I finished PRISONER OF HEAVEN -- the third in the series of books related to the Cemetary of Forgotten Books first seen in SHADOW OF THE WIND. I really liked PoH...and if you want to know what happened with David Martin from ANGEL'S GAME (second book in the 'series') this one is for you!

I am so far behind! :unsure:
thanks for sharing, Babs.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: