108 replies to this topic

#91 VydorScope

VydorScope

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Got side tracked, but got back and finished the Princess Bride. Reading it is a different experience then watching the movie. They both tell almost the identical story, but in such different ways that it is hard to compare them. I think I will just say they were both great! :)

- Vincent -

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

I'm sooo behind on fun reading its not even funny. Here lately all i've read is assigned readings.

#93 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

I agree that your dog has the most adorable face! OMG, what a doll!
Now back to related topics (books and dogs)

Superman keeps telling me he's going to get me a poodle (I'm allergic to all other breeds unless they don't shed or have dander, Now I spend a lot of time on the RI poodle society site and I'm hooked on three if them. They're expensive so I have to wait until he gets a job. He got a call from a prospective client in Minnesota Sunday nite but he can work from RI. All if these high hopes just keep getting dashed. Never heard back from the one in Mass.

As for a great series of books - read the ones by our Vincent "Lost Tales of Power." So far three are out - Enemy of an Enemy, The Academy, & Lost Tales of Power. I'm reading them a 2nd time until the 4th volume is published. He's such a GREAT writerI couldn't put them down. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Loey

#94 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

I have a toy poodle, just a tip, they're too smart for their own good. You never know what they'll do next. They love to please. I've also known miniture poodles and i've met a standard before.

Though be prepaired to brush brush brush.

#95 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

I'm sooo behind on fun reading its not even funny. Here lately all i've read is assigned readings.

I know how you feel. I am working on my second masters... then I think I am gonna take a break from school for a while. I love it, but with a son and a wife, its just getting hard to divide myself up!

Trying to decide what to read next, maybe this cloud atlas that I heard speak of. Need find out what it is first. :)

- Vincent -

#96 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Reviving this topic because I am reading a fascinating book and my hubby is tired of me making him listen to excerpts! Anyway, I am engrossed in CONSIDER THE FORK: A HISTORY OF HOW WE COOK AND EAT by Bee Wilson. I wish I could lay on the couch and read for a solid day but that isn't going to happen anytime soon. It is dangerous however because I am building a shopping list of kitchen items I MUST have -- after the chapter on knives I now need (NEED!!!) a mezzaluna and a tou (Chinese chef's knife.)  I have several more chapters to go...ruh-roh!

#97 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

I started reading the Hannah Swensen series by Joanne Fluke and am loving it. Can't seem to put them down.

#98 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'm rereading The lord of the rings: the fellowship of the ring. It has been many years since i have read it and i'm enjoying every minute of it.

#99 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

I have actaully finally started reading the Harry Potter series. Read book 1 and 2 so far, and am on the waiting list for book 3 in the Library.

- Vincent -

#100 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

I have actaully finally started reading the Harry Potter series. Read book 1 and 2 so far, and am on the waiting list for book 3 in the Library.

Ah, the best time to read a series is when all of the books are out and you can have at it in one go. :P

#101 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

To be honest... if they did not come out in EBook I probably still would not be reading them... to spoiled by my nook! :)

- Vincent -

#102 0range

0range

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

I love non-fiction (any book that provides an opportunity to learn about something new!).

I'm currently reading "What a Plant Knows" by Daniel Chamovitz: http://www.whataplantknows.com/

What a Plant Knows is a rare inside look at what life is really like for the grass we walk on, the flowers we sniff, and the trees we climb. It is a true field guide to the senses for science buffs and green thumbs, and for anyone who seeks a greater understanding of our place in nature.

Canadian undergraduate student in 3rd year, studying Psychology and Speech Communication. Hoping to go into rehabilitation sciences!  B)

Dx with: 

Hashimoto's thyroiditis - 22/09/12

benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (bppv) - 18/05/13

irritable bowel syndrome - 21/06/13 

HLA-DQ8 gene ~ heterozygous (moderate risk for celiac) - 29/11/13

-> underwent a colonoscopy on 24/08/13, showed mild focal colitis + lymphoid hyperplasia (aka inflammation) in terminal ileum

#103 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

I've got a few books on the go right now:

• Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar by Lustig
  • Good Calories, Bad Calories by Taubes
  • Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (Naked Empire)
  • Beyonders: A World Without Heroes by Mull - I'm reading this one outloud to my boys over lunch time lately... A good time for reading fiction or for school - they are feeding and happy, and have to sit and listen until they're done.  LOL
  • Sea of Monsters by Riodan - We're listening to this one in the car. The Percy Jackson and Olympians books ae very well done - perfect for boys.

I'm a book junkie.  :D

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#104 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

As usual, the vast and teetering piles of books in the house are growing and growing. At the moment I am immersed in food science and on the lighter side, some tame murder by Dorothy Sayers. Oh, and ancient Israelite history.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#105 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

How on earth did this thread get by me? I went to college in my 40s and, despite my science background, got a degree in English. I used to say that all I wanted to do was find a job where I could read all day. Trouble was... I forgot to say that I wanted a job where I could read good fiction all day!! I ended up working in medical publishing and read about orthopedics and ophthalmology all day!! UGH!

I had long work commutes in my life. I'd join the library in every town I worked in and listen to ALL of Dickens and Austen on audiobooks. I can not begin to tell you how alive the stories become when someone is reading to you!! I'd get to work or home and not remember how I got there cause I was so engrossed in the story! Once, in the book Jackdaws by Ken Follett, the characters were peeking thru a window at German soldiers who had discovered their safe house and I yelled, "SHOOT THEM!! SHOOT THEM!!" at the car celiac disease player!!

I've loved all of Ken Follett's books, especially Pillars of the Earth and its sequel, most of Stephen King's... the earlier ones..., Isabella Allende's (sp?), Amy Tan's, any of the Bronte's, and so many others. At the moment I'm rereading Faulkner, having studied him intensely in college. Talk about the darker underside of the South!!

luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: