arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Scd-Friendly, Egg-Free Muffins And Quick Breads?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

I just got diagnosed with egg intolerance, dangit. I've been mostly baking SCD-style with almond flour, flax meal, and coconut flour because I don't do well on starchy foods. All my low starch, SCD-style recipes have a ton of eggs.

Now I'm at a complete loss for baking. Does anyone have any low-starch, egg-free recipes for muffins or quick breads?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

Are you able to use the egg replacements? I don't know much about them. Hope you find something! :)
Gluteny - the 8th deadly sin

#3 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Can you do sour cream?
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#4 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

Are you okay with dairy, like yogurt or cheese or is that out, too ? I can't remember. :rolleyes:

How about gums, such as xanthan or guar ? Psyllium ? Chia ?

What about the EnerG Egg Replacer stuff, http://www.ener-g.co...g-replacer.html That is potato starch, tapioca, leavening, methylcellulose mixed in water, and it's only 1.5 teaspoons of the dry mix per "egg."

For egg substitute, you want to combine something with "lift," such as leavening, with something with gumminess, and for lower carb, something with protein.

Other gummier flours besides the almond, are amaranth and buckwheat. Small amounts of them added to any recipe, plus soaked chia and room temperature water to make a "gel," used in a recipe with baking powders or baking soda and an acidic, will get you roughly the same result as "egg". This is especially true for single or double serving sizes the bun in cup recipes for microwave. Pre soaking the buckwheat for 10 min to 30 min gives impressively gummy results.

How does your body react to tapioca ?

Can you do bean flours ? (and while we're on this subject, can anyone tell me where to find garbanzo flour that isn't Bob's red mill and wasn't processed with oats ?)

Coconut flour seems to be really sort of a pia in eggless recipes the few times I've attempted it. But it might be a counter reactive to the drying power and toughness of a bit of psyllium.

Sorry for all the questions, but trying to figure out what ingredients I need to do the prototypes.

#5 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Have a look at this one:

http://www.pure2raw....umpkin-muffins/
grain free pumpkin muffins

Original - Uses amaranth, buckwheat, arrowroot.

Tapioca can sub for arrowroot, and the other 2/3 can be something like half almond meal and 1/6 and 1/6 buckwheat/amaranth, total is one cup flour.

Says can sub more flax gels for the eggs, or 1/2 cup yogurt. Since the recipe already has flax, could use chia gels. If you can use yogurt, then, you're all set.

I wouldn't be stuck using the regular oven for these, I would try them out in the microwave first, in little cups, using a half recipe,M to see what they do.

You don't have to use sugar, can use stevia, for example, or go more savory and leave it out.

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Thanks! I can do guar gum, psyllium, and chia. I forgot you can sub chia for eggs. I'm going to play with flax too. Cow dairy is iffy, sometimes I react sometimes not. I seem to be back to tolerating goats milk so might be able to find goat sour cream.

I can do enough starch to try the Ener-G egg replacer. I might give that a go in my regular almond meal recipe.

Amaranth or buckwheat taste great and that recipe looks tasty but it's still kind of a heavy carb load for me in the morning. If I eat too much starch at breakfast I'm pooped and starving by lunch. Maybe if I just have one with some sausage... This no-egg trial is a pain. Fooey.

#7 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

Or you could try making yogurt out of the goat's milk, using a dab of regular yogurt.

I bet if you put some chia into some canned coconut milk, say a tablespoon into a half cup, and then added a bit of buckwheat, say 2 tblsps, the concoction would be Pretty Thick after a short soaking. Then you could add almond meal, oil, and some leavening and try it as a bun in cup microwave thing.

You might want to try a form of beans for breakfast, IF you can find or prepare some that don't have cross contamination, for a protein. Beans with olive oil, cumin, vinegar are filling and don't digest too quickly.

What a PIA about the eggs. I would be so annoyed. :angry: :o

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

Yeah, the jury is still out. I had a really strong response to eggs on an IgG test so I have to eliminate/challenge to be sure. Thing is, I tend to feel really awful on Monday and I usually make omelets or bake on the weekends. <_< I also came up positive for soy on the IgG test and I know soy doesn't agree with me. Dairy came back negative so I'm praying I've been mistaking egg reactions for dairy and I'll have dairy back. I'd happily trade eggs for dairy!

Thanks for the help! I'll try the chia/buckwheat/coconut milk in a few days when I get a chance to shop for them. That sounds better than the methylcellulose in the Ener-G stuff. I really prefer cooking from whole foods. :)

Beans for breakfast isn't a bad idea, though that's usually what I have for lunch. I'm also eyeing my jar of peanut butter.

#9 Mateto

Mateto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

Someone suggested I try tinned pumpkin to replace eggs or butter. It may just work. Also, you an grind maybe....7 or 8 blanched almonds with a tablespoon or two of water, and it makes a creamy-pastey thing, and it can replace eggs as well.

With your peanut butter, use that in the milk substitute, and blend the peanut butter, milk, whatever fruit you're allowed, and some whey powder if you can have it...and you've got yourself a lovely "milkshake". OR dairy-free ice cream?
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

#10 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

I just got diagnosed with egg intolerance, dangit. I've been mostly baking SCD-style with almond flour, flax meal, and coconut flour because I don't do well on starchy foods. All my low starch, SCD-style recipes have a ton of eggs.

Now I'm at a complete loss for baking. Does anyone have any low-starch, egg-free recipes for muffins or quick breads?

Have you seen this website? www.elanaspantry.com. I really like her paleo bread recipe. She has similar recipes for banana bread and pumpkin bread although I haven't tried those. I also do the breakfast bread. I love it because there is no flour at all - uses almond butter as the base. I've never tried to eliminate the egg but if you read the comments section, someone almost always tries an egg replacer and posts how it went.

You also might like the Spunky Coconut (www.spunkycoconut.com). She has posted some doughnut recipes recently using psyllium husk powder which I've never used, but the pictures look amazing! She mostly uses coconut flour, and has quite a few egg-free recipes on her site.

#11 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

Have you seen this website? www.elanaspantry.com. I really like her paleo bread recipe. She has similar recipes for banana bread and pumpkin bread although I haven't tried those. I also do the breakfast bread. I love it because there is no flour at all - uses almond butter as the base. I've never tried to eliminate the egg but if you read the comments section, someone almost always tries an egg replacer and posts how it went.

You also might like the Spunky Coconut (www.spunkycoconut.com). She has posted some doughnut recipes recently using psyllium husk powder which I've never used, but the pictures look amazing! She mostly uses coconut flour, and has quite a few egg-free recipes on her site.

I have used egg replacer successfully in Elana's paleo banana bread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: