This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Scd-Friendly, Egg-Free Muffins And Quick Breads?

Skylark

Skylark Collaborator

I just got diagnosed with egg intolerance, dangit. I've been mostly baking SCD-style with almond flour, flax meal, and coconut flour because I don't do well on starchy foods. All my low starch, SCD-style recipes have a ton of eggs.

Now I'm at a complete loss for baking. Does anyone have any low-starch, egg-free recipes for muffins or quick breads?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SleepyBunny Apprentice

Are you able to use the egg replacements? I don't know much about them. Hope you find something! :)

freeatlast Collaborator

Can you do sour cream?

Takala Enthusiast

Are you okay with dairy, like yogurt or cheese or is that out, too ? I can't remember. :rolleyes:

How about gums, such as xanthan or guar ? Psyllium ? Chia ?

What about the EnerG Egg Replacer stuff, Open Original Shared Link That is potato starch, tapioca, leavening, methylcellulose mixed in water, and it's only 1.5 teaspoons of the dry mix per "egg."

For egg substitute, you want to combine something with "lift," such as leavening, with something with gumminess, and for lower carb, something with protein.

Other gummier flours besides the almond, are amaranth and buckwheat. Small amounts of them added to any recipe, plus soaked chia and room temperature water to make a "gel," used in a recipe with baking powders or baking soda and an acidic, will get you roughly the same result as "egg". This is especially true for single or double serving sizes the bun in cup recipes for microwave. Pre soaking the buckwheat for 10 min to 30 min gives impressively gummy results.

How does your body react to tapioca ?

Can you do bean flours ? (and while we're on this subject, can anyone tell me where to find garbanzo flour that isn't Bob's red mill and wasn't processed with oats ?)

Coconut flour seems to be really sort of a pia in eggless recipes the few times I've attempted it. But it might be a counter reactive to the drying power and toughness of a bit of psyllium.

Sorry for all the questions, but trying to figure out what ingredients I need to do the prototypes.

Takala Enthusiast

Have a look at this one:

Open Original Shared Link

grain free pumpkin muffins

Original - Uses amaranth, buckwheat, arrowroot.

Tapioca can sub for arrowroot, and the other 2/3 can be something like half almond meal and 1/6 and 1/6 buckwheat/amaranth, total is one cup flour.

Says can sub more flax gels for the eggs, or 1/2 cup yogurt. Since the recipe already has flax, could use chia gels. If you can use yogurt, then, you're all set.

I wouldn't be stuck using the regular oven for these, I would try them out in the microwave first, in little cups, using a half recipe,M to see what they do.

You don't have to use sugar, can use stevia, for example, or go more savory and leave it out.

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks! I can do guar gum, psyllium, and chia. I forgot you can sub chia for eggs. I'm going to play with flax too. Cow dairy is iffy, sometimes I react sometimes not. I seem to be back to tolerating goats milk so might be able to find goat sour cream.

I can do enough starch to try the Ener-G egg replacer. I might give that a go in my regular almond meal recipe.

Amaranth or buckwheat taste great and that recipe looks tasty but it's still kind of a heavy carb load for me in the morning. If I eat too much starch at breakfast I'm pooped and starving by lunch. Maybe if I just have one with some sausage... This no-egg trial is a pain. Fooey.

Takala Enthusiast

Or you could try making yogurt out of the goat's milk, using a dab of regular yogurt.

I bet if you put some chia into some canned coconut milk, say a tablespoon into a half cup, and then added a bit of buckwheat, say 2 tblsps, the concoction would be Pretty Thick after a short soaking. Then you could add almond meal, oil, and some leavening and try it as a bun in cup microwave thing.

You might want to try a form of beans for breakfast, IF you can find or prepare some that don't have cross contamination, for a protein. Beans with olive oil, cumin, vinegar are filling and don't digest too quickly.

What a PIA about the eggs. I would be so annoyed. :angry::o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Yeah, the jury is still out. I had a really strong response to eggs on an IgG test so I have to eliminate/challenge to be sure. Thing is, I tend to feel really awful on Monday and I usually make omelets or bake on the weekends. <_< I also came up positive for soy on the IgG test and I know soy doesn't agree with me. Dairy came back negative so I'm praying I've been mistaking egg reactions for dairy and I'll have dairy back. I'd happily trade eggs for dairy!

Thanks for the help! I'll try the chia/buckwheat/coconut milk in a few days when I get a chance to shop for them. That sounds better than the methylcellulose in the Ener-G stuff. I really prefer cooking from whole foods. :)

Beans for breakfast isn't a bad idea, though that's usually what I have for lunch. I'm also eyeing my jar of peanut butter.

Mateto Enthusiast

Someone suggested I try tinned pumpkin to replace eggs or butter. It may just work. Also, you an grind maybe....7 or 8 blanched almonds with a tablespoon or two of water, and it makes a creamy-pastey thing, and it can replace eggs as well.

With your peanut butter, use that in the milk substitute, and blend the peanut butter, milk, whatever fruit you're allowed, and some whey powder if you can have it...and you've got yourself a lovely "milkshake". OR dairy-free ice cream?

Kelleybean Enthusiast

I just got diagnosed with egg intolerance, dangit. I've been mostly baking SCD-style with almond flour, flax meal, and coconut flour because I don't do well on starchy foods. All my low starch, SCD-style recipes have a ton of eggs.

Now I'm at a complete loss for baking. Does anyone have any low-starch, egg-free recipes for muffins or quick breads?

Have you seen this website? www.elanaspantry.com. I really like her paleo bread recipe. She has similar recipes for banana bread and pumpkin bread although I haven't tried those. I also do the breakfast bread. I love it because there is no flour at all - uses almond butter as the base. I've never tried to eliminate the egg but if you read the comments section, someone almost always tries an egg replacer and posts how it went.

You also might like the Spunky Coconut (www.spunkycoconut.com). She has posted some doughnut recipes recently using psyllium husk powder which I've never used, but the pictures look amazing! She mostly uses coconut flour, and has quite a few egg-free recipes on her site.

alex11602 Collaborator

Have you seen this website? www.elanaspantry.com. I really like her paleo bread recipe. She has similar recipes for banana bread and pumpkin bread although I haven't tried those. I also do the breakfast bread. I love it because there is no flour at all - uses almond butter as the base. I've never tried to eliminate the egg but if you read the comments section, someone almost always tries an egg replacer and posts how it went.

You also might like the Spunky Coconut (www.spunkycoconut.com). She has posted some doughnut recipes recently using psyllium husk powder which I've never used, but the pictures look amazing! She mostly uses coconut flour, and has quite a few egg-free recipes on her site.

I have used egg replacer successfully in Elana's paleo banana bread.

Archived