10 replies to this topic

#1 RonSchon

RonSchon

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

The product that I have been contaminated with - and I say this after getting the 2nd contamination today (the first time I thought was possibly from something else)- is Tyson's Grilled and Ready Chicken Breast Strips.

I'm furious about this, because I had one other brand in my shopping cart but it didn't say gluten free. The list of ingredients was safe, but when I came to the Tysons it actually said gluten free on it, so I put back the other brand and bought the Tyson's.

Another costly setback on my wellness. About 20 minutes after lunch today I was feeling a little bloat. By the time I got up from my desk at the end of my work day all of my joints were in heavy pain, and a light fog was setting in.

I know I have some sensitivities to other things like nuts and rice's, so I guess it's possible it is something else affecting me from the ingredient list, but the ingredient list doesn't have anything on it that should set me off at all.

Everything else I ate today is 100% clean - broccoli that I eat almost every day, hard boiled eggs, kraft cheese slices, cranberry juice, banana, grapes (well washed), nectarine (well washed). And water.

I was suspicious of buying anything from Tyson, but the fact that it said gluten-free lured me in.

I blame myself. I have to prep for lunches better with my own prepared meats.

Grrr.

Tomorrow will be long.

Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

I took a gander at their website and one of the ingredients listed is simply "chicken stock" which would be enough for me to kind of freak me out and keep me away. It would be one thing if they then went on to list the individual ingredients of the stock but they don't. Good going Tyson... jerks. To be honest though, because there are no FDA regulations governing the "gluten free" label I don't trust it. Period. I still read every label, every time and call every company that isn't one of what are considered our safe companies.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Most "stocks" are indeed gluten-free, although not all. However, remember that if a stock has wheat, it has to list it. Personally, stock is no longer one of those things that automatically freaks me out.

richard

#4 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Yeah, I'm learning the hard way - the way I imagine everybody does.... At the end of the day, if you prepare it you can have a high level of certainty... If you don't, well, you don't. What makes me livid.... It is grilled chicken for crying out loud - unflavored grilled chicken, that they put in a package that says gluten free.

Maybe I'm just so sensitive right now that even the 10 or 20 ppm is a level I can't handle.

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

All products that have wheat must list it. That is a given. The problem we run in to though, as we all know is that not all gluten sources must be listed, nor are they. While a lot of stocks are gluten free, I've run into plenty that aren't also. Maybe I'm just new enough, maybe I'm just OCD enough, maybe it's paranoia but I never take anything for granted.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

George Foreman grill. Plain boneless chicken breasts from the meat counter. 10 to 15 minutes on the George. Quick, easy, no additives, and they taste better.

I have learned that the plainer, the better. The less processed, the better. If I want to spice something up I do it myself. And for the sake of convenience I cook several at once. I can either refridgerate and eat them for several days in a row, or freeze them for later. :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Most "stocks" are indeed gluten-free, although not all. However, remember that if a stock has wheat, it has to list it. Personally, stock is no longer one of those things that automatically freaks me out.

richard

Richard is correct but I've seen both wheat and barley in stocks very recently - the barley didn't surprise me becuase I've noticed that for years in Trader Joe's brands but I have never seen a stock with wheat gluten it until last week.

College Inn brand chicken stock has wheat gluten. And, at least one of the Trader Joe's stocks has barley in it so if you are still learning always check the label or go with a brand you know is safe - the ones off the top of my head are Costco, Pacific, Kitchen Basics, Swanson, Progresso, and Imagine. I'm sure most of the store brands are gluten-free as well.

Unfortunately that doesn't help you when it comes to processed foods sometimes.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#8 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Did anyone call Tyson to inquire about that product? Just curious if they would "share" what would be in the stock or what could have set you off.

Feel better :)

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#9 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

Thanks, everybody.

I know I should call them, but I'm too angry at them to give them my time.

As has been mentioned - I'm learning... I have to allow myself to make my own packaged goods.... So this weekend I will cook up a bunch of meats that I can store in the freezer and not have to worry about last minute options.

I trusted Tyson's "GLUTEN FREE" label to be a last minute go to option, and for that I lost 2-3 days of productive life.

#10 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

I trusted Tyson's "GLUTEN FREE" label to be a last minute go to option, and for that I lost 2-3 days of productive life.

It does stink. It took a while to learn not to trust a lot of processed foods. You might want to call Tyson and tell them about it. Some companies will batch test the product to see the gluten content and share it with you if you ask them to.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#11 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

While I'm so sensitive I don't really trust anything unless it has been prepared in a certified gluten free facility and has the symbol: the black circle with G F inside it. A lot of foods claim to be gluten free, but they get cross contaminated from the other things made in the same factory. I have much better luck in stores like Sprouts Farmers Market,where I live. It's like a health food store, but without the expensive prices. I hope there will be more stores like these in the future. I hope there will be more dedicated gluten free restaurants too. Take out you can trust would be nice!

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: