13 replies to this topic

#1 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

I was anticipating the day certified gluten-free oats could be re-introduced into my diet. Well, the big day was Thursday. It was exciting! Thrilling, even. My celiac diagnosis was 16 months ago. But yesterday I knew something weird was going on. My personality changed. I feel sort of ill (not a big deal). Walking into things. Stumbling. Intense forgetfulness. There is no chance of my being glutened - the only thing different in my diet was the oats. The neurological symptoms are more alarming than feeling ill. Oh, and rash between all my fingers that looks like eczema.

Dumb oats. Ah, well. It is not as though oats are vital or necessary to our diet! I haven't really missed them for 16 months so I won't miss 'em again. ;)

I had not felt ill from gluten in the past but imagine I now have a pretty good idea what it is like. :angry:

Not a vent or anything - it just goes to show how things change! Oatenings are just not all that fun. :(
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mateto

Mateto

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

I'm so sorry!
I know other people who can't tolerate oats either...feel better soon.
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

#3 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Yuk, hope you feel better soon.
Make sure you don't leave the stove on :) that's what I usually do.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#4 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

A new term in the celiac disease vocabulary! Oatenings... I hope you feel better soon!
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#5 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

Yuk, hope you feel better soon.
Make sure you don't leave the stove on :) that's what I usually do.

I've checked and double checked. Thanks for that! I'm putting kitchen things away in the wrong spots - it is so very weird. I walked smack dab into our couch and it is not even in the way. Not sure how that one happened...
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

A new term in the celiac disease vocabulary! Oatenings... I hope you feel better soon!

It doesn't roll off the tongue quite like "glutened" but it works! :P

#7 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Sorry you are feeling bad. Watch out of oat CC. It wasn't like when I actually ate the oats with an instant reaction, but it slowly built up and one day, then for 8 stinking months I was miserable. I am pretty careful where I source my gluten free ingredients calling and making sure there is no chance of oat CC. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#8 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

Are there any big brands who's gluten free products may be contaminated with "gluten free oats"? I have had a rash on my fingers which the doctor said was eczema but none of the prescription creams are working! I know i react to gluten free oats, so now I'm wondering if something possibly may be contaminated with oats :P thanks...
And hope you get well soon, love2travel!

#9 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

Are there any big brands who's gluten free products may be contaminated with "gluten free oats"? I have had a rash on my fingers which the doctor said was eczema but none of the prescription creams are working! I know i react to gluten free oats, so now I'm wondering if something possibly may be contaminated with oats :P thanks...
And hope you get well soon, love2travel!

Yes there is. Here is a link to a topic I started on it.

http://www.celiac.co...__1#entry732064

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#10 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:47 AM

I'm so sorry the oats not only didn't work out but caused you so much distress :( I am sensitive to oats also, and have to watch out for even pure oat cross contamination. Feel better!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#11 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

I get "oatened" too. I like the term. I also need to watch out for cross contamination from oats.

#12 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

"Oatenings"

I love it. :P :D :lol:

Sorry about the reaction.

#13 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

I'm so sorry the oats not only didn't work out but caused you so much distress :( I am sensitive to oats also, and have to watch out for even pure oat cross contamination. Feel better!

Thanks! I'm not quite as bad today. I'm functioning quite well. It is disconcerting when you suddenly forget simple tasks. I forgot to lock the front door of the house before leaving this morning!

The oats were certified gluten free. So long, oats! At least for now. I do not feel that bad about it because in comparison to many of you, I got off easy only having to avoid gluten and some cheeses.

#14 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

Maybe it should be "avenined."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: