9 replies to this topic

#1 hobbitqueen18

hobbitqueen18

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

Does anyone know if there are any "fast" places that have things that are gluten-free on their menu? i have heard that mcDonalds does use separate friers for their chicken and their fries but i was wondering what was safe at other places like Carl's jr or jack in the box. i know that they aren't the most healthy of places to eat but when you are on the go it's just difficult to find much of anything on the go that is fast AND gluten-free....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

I've never had a problem at Carl's Jr., but, of course, others may have had other experiences. When I order at a Carl's Jr. (which I only visit while on road trips; otherwise, I don't eat fast food), I tell them I have a wheat allergy and that I'd like my burger wrapped in lettuce. The manager immediately comes to speak with me and handles my order him/herself. They change their gloves and put down paper on which to prepare my order, which is always a Star Burger and fries. They don't put on any special sauce, and they wrap the burger in large lettuce leaves. All of the Carl's Jr.s that I have visited in Northern California have indicated to me that they use dedicated fryers for the fries, but I believe others on this Forum have said that you always need to check with each restaurant. The ketchup used there is also gluten free. Anyway, I've never been glutened at any Carl's Jr.

As for Wendy's, their baked potatoes and chili are both gluten free. I believe that several of their salads are, too, but I don't think the dressings are.

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

Wendy's is great, they have a pretty good list online. I eat there pretty regularly and have never had a problem. Some dressings are okay, I keep a list of what is okay printed out in my car and just compare it to the online list regularly and update it as needed. Every Wendy's I have visited uses a dedicated fryer for their fries and the Frostys are gluten free. I usually have a salad, fries and a Frosty.

http://www.wendys.co...n_free_list.pdf

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 hobbitqueen18

hobbitqueen18

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Mmmm.... Makes me want a frosty :rolleyes:

#5 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

As for Wendy's, their baked potatoes and chili are both gluten free.

Yummmm....I love Wendy's baked potato with chili!!! 😃😃
~**caselynn**~

#6 MindytheOrganist

MindytheOrganist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

We've eaten at Carl's Jr. (Hardees), and have never had any problems with the lettuce-wrapped burger and their fries. We always ask about the fries, just to be sure. We also like Wendy's and Steak 'n' Shake. McDonald's is also acceptable, but is usually the last resort. We've also eaten at Diary Queen; as long as they know you have an allergy, they are very helpful.

#7 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

There are several postings that deal with the fast food issue and you can find several that debate the McDonalds issue so I won't reopen it here. That being said, personally, the only place I would even consider would be a frosty at Wendy's. Even with a lettuce wrap there is just too much chance of cross contamination. But everyone is different. Far better choice is to throw some snack stuff in a small can cooler and use that. Single size servings of peanut/almond butter can be purchased, single tuna packs along with some rice crackers can make a fall back on nonspoilable lunch or snack. Stock up on some single serving stuff and that will make a good emergancy reserve. Much safer than fast food. Just my thought. :)

#8 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

There is an app for your phone called "Is that Gluten Free? - Eating Out." They list most fast food places and the gluten-free items on the menu (if any). It's definitely worth the couple of bucks you have to spend on it. Hope this helps!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#9 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

There is an app for your phone called "Is that Gluten Free? - Eating Out." They list most fast food places and the gluten-free items on the menu (if any). It's definitely worth the couple of bucks you have to spend on it. Hope this helps!

The one thing I don't know - but in my quick review of the app in Google Play - I saw an update where they added The Keg restaurant.

My anecdote on this.... I was going to go to the Keg this past weekend. I googled it in terms of gluten-free and received a lot of "Said gluten-free but got poisoned" post reviews.

I might download the free trial version of the app.

Everybody has corporate initiatives pushing out/forward gluten-free options, but how those initiatives are set up to succeed is what we care about. I don't want to know if "The Keg" has a gluten free menu nearly as much as I want to know if "The Keg" can get gluten free food to my table.

Important distinction.

#10 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

The one thing I don't know - but in my quick review of the app in Google Play - I saw an update where they added The Keg restaurant.

My anecdote on this.... I was going to go to the Keg this past weekend. I googled it in terms of gluten-free and received a lot of "Said gluten-free but got poisoned" post reviews.

I might download the free trial version of the app.

Everybody has corporate initiatives pushing out/forward gluten-free options, but how those initiatives are set up to succeed is what we care about. I don't want to know if "The Keg" has a gluten free menu nearly as much as I want to know if "The Keg" can get gluten free food to my table.

Important distinction.

If anything, the app will give you a starting place of establishments to research. I use "find me gluten free" it's the same idea I'm sure. I only use it as a start point, it gives me an idea of restaurants in the zip code I enter who have a glutenfree menu. I start googling and calling from there lol
~**caselynn**~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: