2 replies to this topic

#1 Huggenkiss27

Huggenkiss27

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:55 AM

I bought a bottle of Diet Sunkist Orange pop and noticed that modified food starch is in the ingredients. I have been avoiding anything that says modified food starch because I really still don't understand if it's gluten free or not. I'd rather be on the safe side. I did take a drink of it so I hope it is gluten free because my reactions from being glutened have not been pretty.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:14 AM

Modified food starch is a safe ingredient for us. If it contained any of the gluten grains, it would have to be declared on the label. It's kind of puzzling to me that it would be in a soft drink though.

Be aware though that some people do have problems with artificial sweeteners. Personally I just don't like the taste of them...or I should say the after taste.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 Huggenkiss27

Huggenkiss27

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:24 AM

Thank you so much! I am still trying to wrap my head around why there is gluten/food starch in a lot of things that I was eating!

I don't love the tast of the artificial sweeteners either but I don't like all the calories from regular pop. Luckily I can handle some of the artificial sweetners though others do give me stomach issues and headaches. I'm trying to "quit" my pop habit and I'm down to 1-2 a week now. I was drinking 2+ liters a day of regular pop and weighed about 80 more pounds than I do now!

Modified food starch is a safe ingredient for us. If it contained any of the gluten grains, it would have to be declared on the label. It's kind of puzzling to me that it would be in a soft drink though.

Be aware though that some people do have problems with artificial sweeteners. Personally I just don't like the taste of them...or I should say the after taste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: