9 replies to this topic

#1 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Is there a medical way to test for a sensitivity to corn, like we are sensitive to gluten? Please let me know. I can eat some corn things and not other corn things so I'm super confused.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

Is there a medical way to test for a sensitivity to corn, like we are sensitive to gluten? Please let me know. I can eat some corn things and not other corn things so I'm super confused.

I don't know of anything that will test a sensitivity, no. However, I know that for some people who react to some corn and not others, the issue turns out to be sulfites. Many corn derived ingredients are processed with a sulfite bath so they make sulfite sensitive folks react.

Plain ears of corn are usually okay with this condition, but something like cornstarch would make a sulfite sensitive person sick.

If that's not the issue, reacting to some corn ingredients and not others might indicate a shared contaminant of some sort in the corn you have issues with.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#3 arian

arian

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

my food allergist said you cant test for sensitivities or intolerances. the only was is yourself, by eliminating if for a certain time, and re eating it to see how you feel, aka elimination diet. they cant however test if your allergic by poking your skin. im having this done in two weeks. good luck :)

#4 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

Ah. Sulphites are my next investigation then....
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

There is also the possibility that you are reacting to the lectins in the corn, like I do. I can eat highly refined corn as in corn starch or high fructose corn syrup, but any corn-containing food that has any trace of the skin in it - corn on the cob, corn chips, polenta, etc., gives me a gluten-type reaction. The lectins are the plant's defense against birds and insects and are therefore in the outer coating of the kernel.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

For me it must be the lectins. At first I could not eat any corn whatsoever. After a little over a year I can now tolerate corn starch but not corn meal. Those are the only two corn products I have tried so far. Thanks for the info, Mushroom. Now I am off to investigate what other foods have lectins.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

Buy a fresh ear of sweet corn from the supermarket, peel the husk, cook and eat it.

If you don't react, then it's a cross contamination problem. If you do react, it may be either a corn problem, a way the corn was processed problem, or a lectin problem. Unless it is a Bob's Red Mill product, then it could be an oats cross contamination problem.

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

I checked into it, and other high lectin foods don't bother me. I have concluded it is the salicylates in corn that bother me. I know for certain that I am salicylate sensitive. Corn STARCH is low in sals, so I guess that's why I can eat corn starch but not corn meal.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#9 ncdave

ncdave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

This is also good resource for anyone having trouble with corn,
http://forums.delphi...idingcorn/start
gluten free 12/11
dairy free 2/12
soy free 10/12
corn free 10/12
nightshade free 10/12

#10 ScottR13

ScottR13

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

This test will check to see if your allergic to Corn...

http://www.questdiag...ction?ntc=38140

Make sure your Dr orders the Corn IgG not the Corn IgE. There's a very big difference.
Diagnosed with Wheat, Barley, Rye Allergies Dec. 2011

Gluten Free since Dec. 2011

No more Arthritis, Acid Reflux, Acne, Hyperlipidemia, Hypertension, and countless other minor health problems. Also lost 50 lbs. & avoiding future health problems

Added Bananas, Lettuce, Strawberries, Pork, & Goat Milk to my diagnosed Food Allergy list Oct. 2012

Still a long way to go on discovering all my Food Allergies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: