This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Swelling Of Ankles And Hands?

Mjohnson73

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

Hey all,

my ankles and hands have been swelling lately and I was wondering if that would be a symptom of my fibromyalgia or my Gluten Intolerance...

anyhow... let me know what you guys think....

--Maya

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cdford Contributor

I have both FMS and GI...and my hands and feet swell something fierce, especially during the summer months. My shoes are loose in the morning yet leave whelps by evening and I am just now getting to where I can wear my wedding band again after several years.

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

ok so it is from both or one or the other but not sure which one :)

got it ... thanks...

it is just frustrating cause it is painful...

thanks for the info...

--Maya

ravenwoodglass Mentor
ok so it is from both or one or the other but not sure which one :)

got it ... thanks...

it is just frustrating cause it is painful...

thanks for the info...

--Maya

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, I get both, by the way my fibro was caused by the gluten and has been gone now for a while so you may see that resovle. Hears what my PT told me to do and I found it helps a bit. I would lie on my bed with my legs straight up at the hips against the wall and my hands on 3 pillows to keep them as high as possible, She had me do this a couple times a day and again 3 hours before bed. This would help drain some of the fluid which I could then pee out before sleeping instead of waking up 3 or 4 times a night. Also cut your salt intake sharply in the summer months or when glutened. A massage therapist may be able to show you how to do a lympahtic massage on your arms and legs also to rid your body of the excess fluid. I found after about a year gluten-free this was no longer an extreme occurance. Unless I am glutened now I find I only sweel the 'normal' amount everyone else does.

VydorScope Proficient

Lots and lots of things can cause that, too much salt in your for examlpe, diabeates is another. So realy hard to blame it on anything. :(

Guest kfrancisvt

I find that if I don't eat gluten free my fingers will swell and my joints will ache like you wouldn't believe. Once I get the gluten out of my system, my swelling and aches go down.

Eliza13 Contributor

Kfran....

The EXACT same thing happens to me. That was the final straw that got me complaining to my doc prior to diagnosis. Bad joint pain, swollen feet and hands, and itchy legs. I was never checked for the fibrom though....wondering if I should now, but all of that is gone by going gluten-free (and I have yo-yoed!!!).

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

zakismom Newbie

I was the same way before finding out I had celiac. It was so bad my hands cramped into one shape and I could barely hold on to anything (I'm an optician so this was a HUGE problem.) Also, my feet were so big I couldn't wear my regular shoes. A few a the medical people I saw actually started to think I had a heart problem because of them. After going gluten free the swelling went down within a month or so but, the pain didin't really go away until a year or so. It is much better now so keep the gluten out of your diet!

Guest kfrancisvt

Skarlet13...

You mentioned the itchy legs ... I too have that at times but I thought it was because I wore nylon trouser socks during the day (and I don't usually wear them when I am in Florida) and that I was in a different, drier environment. But the itchy legs do tend to correspond when I have eaten something with gluten.

Thanks for the insight!!!!

bluelotus Contributor

I don't get the swelling, but I do get sore joints - esp. my ankles and knees. I remember seeing a physical therapist years prior to celiac disease diagnosis and she couldn't figure out what was up with my ankle (usually my left one that is most bothersome, kind of weird that it is not symmetrical). Anyway, nice to know that I wasn't the only one with these odder symptoms.

Here's an ignorant question - what is fibromyalgia? Is that related to your celiac disease?

nettiebeads Apprentice

[(usually my left one that is most bothersome, kind of weird that it is not symmetrical). Anyway, nice to know that I wasn't the only one with these odder symptoms.

Here's an ignorant question - what is fibromyalgia? Is that related to your celiac disease?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...
de caps Contributor

I had very severe swelling in my lower legs. I could put a hand print on my shin it was so bad. After being gluten free for one week it went away completely.

My Primmary Care MD , didn't consider celiac disease. It was my oncologist( I have Melanoma) who diagnosed me. MY primary MD still won't admit this was from the celiac disease. I'm now looking for a new Primary care doctor.

judy05 Apprentice
I was the same way before finding out I had celiac.  It was so bad my hands cramped into one shape and I could barely hold on to anything (I'm an optician so this was a HUGE problem.)  Also, my feet were so big I couldn't wear my regular shoes.  A few a the medical people I saw actually started to think I had a heart problem because of them.  After going gluten free the swelling went down within a month or so but, the pain didin't really go away until a year or so.  It is much better now so keep the gluten out of your diet!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to get the cramps in my hands, I would have to massage them and it really hurt, as long as I stay on the diet I'm OK..

GC1 Rookie

Maya,

I've been gluten-free for about 9 weeks. My hands had stated swelling (and turning 'white') about 3 yrs ago. They no longer swell, unless I eat a large meal of beef or pork (or naturally gluten--2 times since gluten-free). To show how long it had been effecting me, that I didn't even realize; a ring that I wear everyday, now fits very loosely, and it was bought over 5 yrs ago.

As others stated, many things cause swelling, but if it's not something fully controllable, you might consider Black Cohosh as an aid... but get an OK from a professional; BC is VERY potent. It is an excellent anti-inflamatory, but is one of the most potent 'herbs' available. I take it about every 3 days, and have no doubt it is helping me heal from yrs of gluten posioning.

GC

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

Thanks for all the information!

I am glad I am not the only one with swollen ankles and hands...

Lately my right ankle has been really bad even tho I have been 100% gluten free.... but it could just be edema too (I have been diagnosed with that in the past too...)

somedays I keep telling my hubby that the first day they offer brain implants into other bodies...sign me up! Altho a lot of it is "In the head" so I guess that won't work after all....

sigh...

oh well...

--Maya

• 2 weeks later...
Stephanie1 Newbie

I've only been gluten-free for about a week and a half. Blood work points to celiac, but waiting for the biopsy until next week. My swelling of ankles and hands didn't start until AFTER I went on the gluten-free diet...is that weird? It seemed like once my vomitting and diarrehea symptoms went away when I stopped eating gluten, the swelling started, and I've never retained water like this! (I just delivered a baby 2 months ago...was NEVER swollen) Am I doing something obviously wrong? It's really getting frustrating because when I get rid of one problem, it seems another comes along! Help!!

aikiducky Apprentice

Give it more time before you panic, Stephanie. It could be that with the vomiting and D that you just couldn't retain that much fluid before... <_< Hopefully it'll improve when you start to heal.

Pauliina

• 10 years later...
AnitaL Newbie

Just learning about all this...I had intense achiness, fatigue, and swelling in my ankles and feet yesterday within an hour of eating some bagels. So I googled Celiac + ankle swelling, and this article came up. But for Maya and anyone else who may be interested in finding out more, I'm halfway through reading a (lengthy) article called "Celiac Disease 101: A Beginner's Guide" by the folks at SCD lifestyle (probably won't be able to post the link here, otherwise I would). Sounds like they're saying that edema and FMS (I have it too) are both caused by Celiac. And WebMD.boots mentions swelling being a serious side effect of Celiac, due to an inability to absorb nutrients, including protein. Yikes!

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, AnitaL said:

Just learning about all this...I had intense achiness, fatigue, and swelling in my ankles and feet yesterday within an hour of eating some bagels. So I googled Celiac + ankle swelling, and this article came up. But for Maya and anyone else who may be interested in finding out more, I'm halfway through reading a (lengthy) article called "Celiac Disease 101: A Beginner's Guide" by the folks at SCD lifestyle (probably won't be able to post the link here, otherwise I would). Sounds like they're saying that edema and FMS (I have it too) are both caused by Celiac. And WebMD.boots mentions swelling being a serious side effect of Celiac, due to an inability to absorb nutrients, including protein. Yikes!

Before you self diagnoses yourself with an autoimmune disease, please see a doctor for some blood work.  Celiac usually doesn't just "pop-up" one day after a bagel.  Keep eating a regular gluten diet until all testing is finished

Archived