6 replies to this topic

#1 Glutenfree4her

Glutenfree4her

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

Daughter prescribed omeprazole 10 mg. called pharmacy to see if it had gluten in it and they said didn't look like it but I should call manufacturer. Whose responsible for that? I guess ultimately me just frustrating that they don't take time to be concerned.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

My opinion it should be part of the service they provide at the pharmacy. I've had problems with chain pharmacys, but I do well at a private pharmacy where I live. In the event I can't use the private pharmacy, I still have to call myself and shop around. Sucks!

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Personally, I don't trust the pharmacies to check--I ALWAYS call the manufacturer directly because I know all the questions to ask.

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

I always ask for the name of the manufacturer so I can call myself. We need to be responsible for our own health. It sucks, but pharmacies seem to always be busy and we really just can't trust some harried person who doesn't even understand what gluten is to be responsible for knowing if something is gluten free. Usually when I ask for the number, they always ask why then look at the bottle and respond with something like "gluten is listed as an ingredient" or "it doesn't say there's wheat in it" or some other thing that makes us who know the in's and out's want to bang our heads on walls. There have been several instances where I have had to fill a prescription at an alternate pharmacy.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 TiaMichi2

TiaMichi2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

Daughter prescribed omeprazole 10 mg. called pharmacy to see if it had gluten in it and they said didn't look like it but I should call manufacturer. Whose responsible for that? I guess ultimately me just frustrating that they don't take time to be concerned.

I agree with you it should be the Pharmacy's responsability, but I do feel safer when I call the mfg. myself. Sometimes they can give me the number, sometimes is only a name, and I have to do the research myself :blink:

In the past 8 months I have had to do it like 3 times, since my Pharmacy keeps changing Manufacturers on one of my meds. At times I've had to call 5 or 6 places to get an actual person to get me the answers I am looking for, a royal pain in the you know what!!!!!

-Miriam

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Personally, I don't trust the pharmacies to check--I ALWAYS call the manufacturer directly because I know all the questions to ask.

I totally agree with this! I trust no one to get this right, especially someone who doe not have celiac disease. Everyone is responsible for their own health, ultimately, so need to do their own homework. It's another good reason to only take meds you absolutely have to have and not ones doctors push on you for no good reason.

#7 FernW

FernW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

I got glutened once from a brand name medicine. My doctor gave me some samples. I called the mfg they said it was fine but also gave me a cya answer. I took it an got sick for my usual month. I had 2 pills tested and they both had over 50 ppm. Taking meds is always risky, I still call every single time, but I also hold my breath after I take the pill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: