3 replies to this topic

#1 Kate79

Kate79

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

Just wanted to mention a couple of new places in Chicago that are totally gluten free:

Filo: This place opened last spring, I think. It's kind of a hole-in-the-wall and has a small menu, but it is totally gluten free, tasty, and pretty cheap. Dinner runs about $10-$15 a person, including soup & dessert - it's also BYOB. They're also open for brunch on the weekends and prices are in the $7-$10 range. The place lacks a bit on atmosphere and I'm pretty sure the chef has enlisted his friends as wait staff, but it's worth checking out if you live in/near Chicago. It's at the corner of Augusta & Western. No website, but they're on Facebook.

Senza: I don't think this place is actually open yet, but it should be very soon. It's totally gluten free and looks to be more fine-dining, as it's run by the people who do Schwa and Green Zebra and both of those are on the pricey side. It'll be open for breakfast/brunch as well as dinner. Website is www.senzachicago.com, and the place is on Broadway in the Lakeview neighborhood. When (not if!) I eat there, I'll post up something about the food. Very excited to try their brunch options!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 brendygirl

brendygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Thanks! Will be visiting soon for football game!

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

#3 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for posting.

Just wanted to mention a couple of new places in Chicago that are totally gluten free:

Filo: This place opened last spring, I think. It's kind of a hole-in-the-wall and has a small menu, but it is totally gluten free, tasty, and pretty cheap. Dinner runs about $10-$15 a person, including soup & dessert - it's also BYOB. They're also open for brunch on the weekends and prices are in the $7-$10 range. The place lacks a bit on atmosphere and I'm pretty sure the chef has enlisted his friends as wait staff, but it's worth checking out if you live in/near Chicago. It's at the corner of Augusta & Western. No website, but they're on Facebook.

Senza: I don't think this place is actually open yet, but it should be very soon. It's totally gluten free and looks to be more fine-dining, as it's run by the people who do Schwa and Green Zebra and both of those are on the pricey side. It'll be open for breakfast/brunch as well as dinner. Website is www.senzachicago.com, and the place is on Broadway in the Lakeview neighborhood. When (not if!) I eat there, I'll post up something about the food. Very excited to try their brunch options!

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 ragtag

ragtag

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

I just wanted to revive this thread to inquire if anyone has been able to visit Senza yet. I'd love to hear your experiences. According to Yelp, many people, even non-gluten-intolerant or celiac folks are loving this place! They now offer baked goods from 9-noon T-F as well so I plan to stop by there for a few items once my schedule frees up during the day. Also, I'm a vegetarian and I checked with them regarding veggie options, and they said they'd be happy to provide a vegetarian option for each course and can even do a 9-course vegetarian tasting menu with 24 hours notice. That's probably a little fancy for me but it's good that they offer it. 

I'm planning to head there next month for my birthday. It will most likely be my first meal out since I've gone gluten free. I'll definitely update once I check them out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: