12 replies to this topic

#1 1974girl

1974girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

We have not had anything from taco bell since December. I just read on a gluten-free blog that they invited a celiac just to introduce the new Cantina menu. They have a salad and a taco made from a corn tortilla. The meat is not supposed to have gluten like their other "meat". There were reviews where even sensitive celiacs didn't react. Anyone here try them? This is the closest restaurant to my house and sometimes a taco out would be a life saver.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jellybeanjig

jellybeanjig

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

We have not had anything from taco bell since December. I just read on a gluten-free blog that they invited a celiac just to introduce the new Cantina menu. They have a salad and a taco made from a corn tortilla. The meat is not supposed to have gluten like their other "meat". There were reviews where even sensitive celiacs didn't react. Anyone here try them? This is the closest restaurant to my house and sometimes a taco out would be a life saver.

I had one of those tacos not long ago ordered without cheese since I am also sensitive to dairy. I did not have any problems with it. And it was tasty! So nice to be able to go to Taco Bell with my teenagers again!

#3 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

I've seen their commercials and sort of assumed the cantina bowl would be gluten-free, but I sure wouldn't trust it w/ the cross contamination issues.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Something tells me they don't know what they're doing.
http://www.tacobell....ition/allergens

No need to eat there anyway. I wouldn't dream of it. <_<
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 mymimi

mymimi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

I noticed on their website it was listed as "possible" on the allergen chart because of being made in a common kitchen. I love Taco Bell, but not willing to risk it.

#6 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Lisa, I'm with you... If I want meat that tastes like animal food then I may eat at Taco Bell!!!!! YUK!!!!!!!

There are so many places to get a Taco now days that are actually good...

Way to much CC at Taco Bell...plus some of them united with Pizza Hut ....

#7 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

The Cantina bowl says no wheat or gluten. Am I missing what you are seeing? I do wonder about the gloves and stuff like that. My dd is not sensitive at all and I would never know. It is so hard!

#8 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,867 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

The Cantina bowl says no wheat or gluten. Am I missing what you are seeing? I do wonder about the gloves and stuff like that. My dd is not sensitive at all and I would never know. It is so hard!

Most of us don't go by the listed ingredients alone at a place like that. We known that the chances of cc are very high. Any place with 2 gluten-free items and 75 non gluten-free items is likely to get some gluten in the food. If most of the food was naturally gluten-free, your chances are better.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

5 out of 4 people struggle with math.

math-problem-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

What kind of meat is it? Gluten is not an issue for me but oats are and there are oats in their ground beef.

We hadn't eaten there for years but during the dress rehearsal for my daughter's dance studio we did try it only because we were starved and it was about the only place open near there. I had the beans and they were oh so yummy! I had forgotten how much I liked them. I wasn't sure about the rice because I can't have chicken. Often Mexican rice has chicken broth in it and since that's not a top 8 allergen, they wouldn't list it.

We have gotten the bowls from Taco Del Mar. I know they are gluten-free but they are kind of bland. So another option would be nice.

#10 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:54 AM

I'm not as willing to risk 3 days (or even 3 hours) of my health as evidently Lorena Garcia is with her entire body of work and career.

#11 ForAandA

ForAandA

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

I know that I am new to this but my GI recommended the local Taco Bell for this menu, and for their efforts to help people with allergies and sensitivities. I went in today and asked for the manager. I explained it as simply as I could, told him I was allergic to wheat:). He asked if I had Celiac. Then I watched the person making the chicken cantina bowl spray clean a seperate table (which was not even being used) and change gloves.

I have been sick for three weeks with headaches, fatigue, and lots of other issues. Stomach issues are slowly getting better. I had lunch at 1pm and would of been sick by now. And the bowl was yummy!

Once again, this Taco Bell was recommended by my GI. It is on Long Island, New York if anyone is interested in info. I am even going to write a letter to corporate to thank them.

#12 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

I had the steak cantina bowl last night and also a small bag of warm tortilla chips. It was wonderful to eat fast food that's actually real food. Natural guacamole, wow.

I feel great today... of course I'm early in my diagnosis so I'm still not sure yet how sensitive I am (or if I just got lucky with no cross-contamination).

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#13 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Taco Bell has a terrible track record for food content and quality.

A GI Doctor who is recommending them is a GI Doctor I would switch away from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: