Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Restaurant Japan Town San Francisco?

6 posts in this topic

I'll be in San Francisco at the end of the month. I was hoping to get a meal in Japan Town, but the restaurants listed on Japan Town's website don't have gluten-free menus. I have the international dining cards from Triumph Dining, but the language barrier still concerns me. I react to small amounts of cross contamination. I am able to eat out, but I only go to places that are well versed in gluten-free issues. So does anyone know of a place that's safe to eat?

Oh, for the rest of the city, I already know about Pica Pica Kitchen and will go there as soon as I drop my bags at the apartment where I'm staying. They have bread made of corn flour! I can't eat anything made of brown rice, so I haven't had bread in almost a year-and-a-half!

Not sure where else. I also can't eat garlic, onions, dairy, number of fruit and veggies, etc. etc, so finding a place with simple food isn't easy! Guess my Mr. Bento will get to see a lot of the city. It's better traveled than some people I know! LOL!

Ads by Google:

The best japanese place in san Fran was in J town but at 108b Carl St in the Haight. Called Hama Ko.

Mostly just sushi and i would bring my own soy sauce and the cards but the quality was amazing.

I'll be in San Francisco at the end of the month. I was hoping to get a meal in Japan Town, but the restaurants listed on Japan Town's website don't have gluten-free menus. I have the international dining cards from Triumph Dining, but the language barrier still concerns me. I react to small amounts of cross contamination. I am able to eat out, but I only go to places that are well versed in gluten-free issues. So does anyone know of a place that's safe to eat?

Oh, for the rest of the city, I already know about Pica Pica Kitchen and will go there as soon as I drop my bags at the apartment where I'm staying. They have bread made of corn flour! I can't eat anything made of brown rice, so I haven't had bread in almost a year-and-a-half!

Not sure where else. I also can't eat garlic, onions, dairy, number of fruit and veggies, etc. etc, so finding a place with simple food isn't easy! Guess my Mr. Bento will get to see a lot of the city. It's better traveled than some people I know! LOL!

The gluten free grocery store in the Dogpatch

Mariposa Bakery in the Ferry building

The Plant Cafe Organic

I won't list more because I'm not familiar with who doesn't use rice flour, but there are a lot of options

Thanks, y'all! That's a good start. I actually can't eat any of the baked goods from Mariposa because they all have brown rice in them. Pretty much 90%+ of gluten-free baked goods do it seems. And the rest have something else I can't eat like honey or juice concentrates. I have actually gone into a 100% gluten-free bakery/cafe and had to eat meat without bread! LOL!

A friend recommended a place called Source, in San Francisco. I've not eaten there, but they are vegan and gluten free, according to their website. If you try it, please post about your experience!

You might want to check out DOSA if you like Indian food. I ate there and they were very aware of gluten-free and CC. By the way, so jealous you are going to Pica Pica. I still have dreams of their maizewich!! :)