#1 yo!melee

yo!melee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hi-
I am new to the forum. My mom was diagnosed with Celiac disease two years ago and I recently stopped eating gluten last January because I had many of the symptoms. I just had a blood panel test done but it came back negative. Does anyone know how much gluten you are supposed to eat, and for how long, prior to the test? I don't think I ate enough (I only had one pretzel on one day, and then ate gluten once day for a week before the test). Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

The medical info. I have read ranges from 2 to 3 months eating the equivalent of 3-4 slices of bread per day. HOWEVER, you had been gluten-free since Jan., that's 7 full months. That's not "the norm" so i would say IMHO, a bare minimum of 3 months & even then you may show negative. It takes time for the antibodies to build up.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Ditto - minimum of three months on significant gluten.

You may have a tough time getting gluten into you now that you have been gluten-free for over 7 months -- if your symptoms return or become worse, I'd say you have your answer that you can not eat gluten and will have to weigh the possibility of getting very sick and/or damaging your intestines against the possibility that you could ingest all that gluten and still have negative blood work.

My kids all tested negative, but with my history and improved symptoms have all remained gluten free. They have each tried at one time or another to eat gluten and each had enough reaction that it convinced them to stay gluten free.

Good Luck!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 yo!melee

yo!melee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for the info! I definitely had reactions to the small amount of gluten that I ate, so I'm going to try the genetic test next.

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

Many people who have gone gluten free before testing find that when they try to go back to eating gluten for testing then they are unable to tolerate it long enough to do the challenge. Most find they have much stronger reactions than they had before going gluten-free.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: