7 replies to this topic

#1 cindylou7

cindylou7

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Okay, another weird question for the experts in our forum.

I have been having problems with very bad breath, and a burning gut that are not relieved by a gluten-free diet. My question is, can this be just another symptom of DH, or gastritis, or what?

On a side note, I have realized that this problem comes back after glutening and takes a while to resolve itself.

I will spare you the details of describing the smell, but suffice it to say, people cover their nose when speaking in close proximity!

Very embarrassing!!!

The burning gut is relieved by Pepto Bismol but not Prilosec or Zantac, and somehow it seems to limit the breath odor.
“Worry is itself an illness, since worry is an accusation against Divine Wisdom, a criticism of Divine Mercy"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

I remember distinctly reading several times medical texts mentioning the bad breath thing, along with dry mouth I believe Cindy. It stuck in my mind b/c my hubs had an acquaintance who matched the description & I thought "I bet he has celiac". They mentioned it being caused by a bad gut.

I'm going to say that it's going to take time for the burning gut to go away. What are you eating? Please describe your diet. There may be some things others can point to which are aggravating the situation.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 cindylou7

cindylou7

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

Okay so my diet is not the best but I try to be gluten-free.
Breakfast is peanut butter and honey on Brown rice bread or eggs from my chicks (free range)
Lunch could be tuna and tomatoes with gluten-free chips or a burger from Carls jr or refried beans and a taco from Taco Bueno
Dinner might be a salad or chips and salsa or whatever I can find.
If I change it up too much I get glutened so I try to avoid it or suffer in silence ;)
“Worry is itself an illness, since worry is an accusation against Divine Wisdom, a criticism of Divine Mercy"

#4 Guest_chinmoya_*

Guest_chinmoya_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

Okay so my diet is not the best but I try to be gluten-free.
Breakfast is peanut butter and honey on Brown rice bread or eggs from my chicks (free range)
Lunch could be tuna and tomatoes with gluten-free chips or a burger from Carls jr or refried beans and a taco from Taco Bueno
Dinner might be a salad or chips and salsa or whatever I can find.
If I change it up too much I get glutened so I try to avoid it or suffer in silence ;)

Do you have onions in your salad? Just curious! ;)

#5 cindylou7

cindylou7

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

Do you have onions in your salad? Just curious! ;)

I do eat onions though not always in my salad. The bad breath comes after the food has gotten to my stomach. It isn't the type of breath that you can say "well I can tell that she had the garlic soup today" it's more of a "holy cow, what the heck crawled in and died"
It's more of a rotten smell, a dirty fish bowl smell, a dead smell!
Okay, I know that's probably TMI but its accurate. And the dentist said my dental hygiene is great. So go figure...

#6 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

I'm going to say it's your gut that hasn't healed yet. Do you take digestive enzymes & probiotics? You should. Culturelle is non dairy & a good probiotic & Enzymedica Digest Gold for digestive enzymes is what most of the ppl here use & swear by. Remember, just b/c we have dh & don't have major GI symptoms doesn't mean we don't have damage to our gut. Matter of fact, I've noticed a harder time digesting certain things now that I'm gluten-free than I had before gluten-free. As I understand, that's pretty par for the course.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

I second Squirmy's suggestion about probiotics for good gut balance.

Have you been checked for h.pylori infection? My Dad had bouts with that and was treated for it, but despite his excellent dental hygiene & vigilance, it caused a rather foul breath for him.

Once resolved, it was better. He had ulcers, gastritis and lived on maalox, zantac and proton pump inhibitors. Poor guy. If only I knew then what I know now.

He had severe anemia and had dozens of blood transfusions. We're sure he was a celiac.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 cindylou7

cindylou7

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

I second Squirmy's suggestion about probiotics for good gut balance.

Have you been checked for h.pylori infection? My Dad had bouts with that and was treated for it, but despite his excellent dental hygiene & vigilance, it caused a rather foul breath for him.

Once resolved, it was better. He had ulcers, gastritis and lived on maalox, zantac and proton pump inhibitors. Poor guy. If only I knew then what I know now.

He had severe anemia and had dozens of blood transfusions. We're sure he was a celiac.

Thanks I'll add the probiotics back in. I've gotten lazy. I want to ask a dr about h pylori. From what I've read it is a possibility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: