Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Help! Not Sure What This Is, But Trying To Figure It Out...

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 josh052980

josh052980

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:17 AM

Ok, the really crappy part here is that it seems to happen only after eating at Five Guys. It's not a glutening, so I'm not sure what is going on.

If I eat at Five Guys (and I've been known to be a real ass there. The Five Guys in my neighborhood seems to be the worst of them. They have to be CONSTANTLY reminded about CC, to the point that I had them remake a burger and change their gloves. I know I'm not getting glutened for that reason, and this is just different symptoms than my glutening symptoms.

About 5 hours after I eat the burger, I get jittery. My joint begin to ache (when I'm glutened it's my entire body that aches) I'll get a bit of a headache, some heart palpitations and the most noticable of all, SWEATING. Last night for example. I had Five Guys for lunch, dealt with joint aches from about 7pm on, then I went to sleep. I was jolted awake for no reason around 2am, and the sheets had several sweat spots in them, where they were just soaked, but my body was dry. My heart wasn't racing, but it was pounding.

My first thought with all of this is MSG, but I'm not sure. I kept the burger pretty plain (ketchup, onions, green peppers and mayo, didn't have any fries). Anyone have any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:03 AM

Ok, the really crappy part here is that it seems to happen only after eating at Five Guys. It's not a glutening, so I'm not sure what is going on.

If I eat at Five Guys (and I've been known to be a real ass there. The Five Guys in my neighborhood seems to be the worst of them. They have to be CONSTANTLY reminded about CC, to the point that I had them remake a burger and change their gloves. I know I'm not getting glutened for that reason, and this is just different symptoms than my glutening symptoms.

About 5 hours after I eat the burger, I get jittery. My joint begin to ache (when I'm glutened it's my entire body that aches) I'll get a bit of a headache, some heart palpitations and the most noticable of all, SWEATING. Last night for example. I had Five Guys for lunch, dealt with joint aches from about 7pm on, then I went to sleep. I was jolted awake for no reason around 2am, and the sheets had several sweat spots in them, where they were just soaked, but my body was dry. My heart wasn't racing, but it was pounding.

My first thought with all of this is MSG, but I'm not sure. I kept the burger pretty plain (ketchup, onions, green peppers and mayo, didn't have any fries). Anyone have any ideas?

Are you ok with peanuts/legumes? I know the ones I've been to fry the potatoes in peanut oil.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:09 AM

I kept the burger pretty plain (ketchup, onions, green peppers and mayo, didn't have any fries). Anyone have any ideas?

I am fine with peanuts/legumes, and it wouldn't matter anyways, I didn't have any fries.

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:15 AM

I am fine with peanuts/legumes, and it wouldn't matter anyways, I didn't have any fries.

Whoops, my mistake. Can't think of anything else, I'm sure you are normally ok with the things you had on the burger or you wouldn't have ordered it that way. Sometimes I get reactions that I just can't pin to any one thing. It's frustrating, I know. Hopefully someone else will chime in with other ideas. :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

Whoops, my mistake. Can't think of anything else, I'm sure you are normally ok with the things you had on the burger or you wouldn't have ordered it that way. Sometimes I get reactions that I just can't pin to any one thing. It's frustrating, I know. Hopefully someone else will chime in with other ideas. :)

I'm still thinking it's MSG. I've heard they lace the burgers with it too, but I've never been able to find a way to substantiate that claim.

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:53 AM

Just a thought but, if everytime you eat there, you feel bad.....don't eat there? :)

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:05 AM

Just a thought but, if everytime you eat there, you feel bad.....don't eat there? :)

I may just do that. I can't seem to narrow down the culprit. It's not every time I eat there though, that's the kicker. I guess it's going to have to be a once in a while thing.

#8 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

My first thought was a possibility of MSG as well. I wonder if you could get them to put no seasoning on it if it would help? Or even call the corporate office and ask if they use MSG? Or like someone else said, don't eat there LOL. B)

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#9 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

My first thought was a possibility of MSG as well. I wonder if you could get them to put no seasoning on it if it would help? Or even call the corporate office and ask if they use MSG? Or like someone else said, don't eat there LOL. B)

I HATE the possibility of not eating there; there's not many places near me that are safe to go out and eat, so it's yet another limitation. But waking up in a sweat kinda sucks too...

#10 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Understandable. So maybe see if they put seasoning on it while it's cooking and ask them not too and see what happens? Hopefully that will solve it. B)

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users