Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is The Problem Skin Contact Or Inhalation?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 MJ_S

MJ_S

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

I spent an hour in Panera two days ago for a work meeting. I didn't consume anything, not even water. I was very careful not to touch my face and watched my hands as soon as we left. I still got glutened.

I called the Panera and confirmed that they don't make their bread from scratch in that location, but they do bake bread that arrives as pre-formed dough.

I would really like to figure out why I sometimes get glutened if I'm in a highly gluteny area. Is it inhalation of gluten particles in the air, or skin contact? I know there's controversy around both, but I'm 100% certain that I was glutened just by being in the Panera and I've read enough comments from other highly sensitive posters to know it happens to others as well.

If I could get a handle on whether the problem is skin absorption or inhalation, it would help to know what to avoid.

Just a few weeks ago I successfully ate gluten-free flatbread at a flatbread restaurant (first attempt in 8 months) so I know I don't always react to being around gluten.

For those of you who are sensitive around gluten, what do you believe is the trigger?

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:34 AM

I think that it could be both. I have seen several studies of inhaled gluten being a problem. I haven't seen any studies of skin contact being a problem. I think that studies exist which show that it isn't. There hasn't been much done with super sensitives, however, so we are stuck with guessing.

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

I reacted to bread by touching the bag. I reacted to mini donuts by smelling them. I think it could be both or either one for some of us.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

I reacted to bread by touching the bag. I reacted to mini donuts by smelling them. I think it could be both or either one for some of us.

Wow...that's pretty extreme. How do you "react"? BTW, I HATE the smell of donuts. Always have, even before my dx.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

I spent an hour in Panera two days ago for a work meeting. I didn't consume anything, not even water. I was very careful not to touch my face and watched my hands as soon as we left. I still got glutened.

I called the Panera and confirmed that they don't make their bread from scratch in that location, but they do bake bread that arrives as pre-formed dough.

I would really like to figure out why I sometimes get glutened if I'm in a highly gluteny area. Is it inhalation of gluten particles in the air, or skin contact? I know there's controversy around both, but I'm 100% certain that I was glutened just by being in the Panera and I've read enough comments from other highly sensitive posters to know it happens to others as well.

If I could get a handle on whether the problem is skin absorption or inhalation, it would help to know what to avoid.

Just a few weeks ago I successfully ate gluten-free flatbread at a flatbread restaurant (first attempt in 8 months) so I know I don't always react to being around gluten.

For those of you who are sensitive around gluten, what do you believe is the trigger?

The gluten molecule cannot penetrate the skin. But, then, some may have a gluten allergy and can have a histamine reaction. I'm not too sure there would be enough gluten floating around at Panera to get into your nasal passages, but who knows.

Disclaimer: I'm not ultra sensitive. B)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

My daughter doesn't have celiac but used to be intolerant (IgG allergy) to wheat and gluten. She could not walk through the bakery department in the store. Her skin would start to itch and she would feel sick to her stomach. I really don't know exactly what the cause was. She also has a problem with peanuts and can't be in an area where a peanut butter grinder is.

#7 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:47 AM

I feel the glands in my neck. Sometimes I cough. I notice extra mucous. Sometimes I notice my abdomen swell. I think I have an allergy to wheat and yeast. I am 3 months from gluten free. I am hoping my body will settle. None of these reactions are painful and severe.
DT

#8 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

I was meeting a friend today at a place much like Panera and had only intended to have a drink there, but standing in line to order, my eyes started burning, and I felt I could not breath, by the time she arrived I asked if we could please just go next door, I could not stay there another moment.  Inhaled Gluten?

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: