Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Which Bar Tastes The Most Like A Zone Bar?

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 Minette

Minette

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Before her celiac diagnosis, my 6yr old daughter would not eat any snack bars other than Zone bars (mostly chocolate/peanut butter, though she would eat fudge graham in an emergency). We used to buy them by the case at Costco.

The bars don't actually contain any gluten ingredients, but they are made on equipment that processes wheat. So we're on the hunt for a substitute.

She doesn't like anything fruity (which rules out most Larabars -- I don't like them either), noticeable pieces of nuts/needs (which rules out Trio bars), or solid chocolate (which rules out the Enjoy Life Cocoa Loco bars).

Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bbuster

bbuster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Not what you asked, but my son eats (on average) about one Zone bar every day, and has done this for many years. When I called the company, I was satisfied with their awareness and procedures with respect to cleaning equipment thoroughly between products.

Of course it is a personal choice.
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

#3 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hi. Have you tried Envirokidz bars? They are rice based and gluten free, include one called Peanut Choco Drizzle, and another that is just chocolate. They're intended for kids, but I buy them for myself. Upscale markets and healthy food stores usually carry them. I buy them also on vitacost.com.
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#4 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

http://glutenfreecoo...eenergybars.htm

Don't know if you're interested in making your own but...

I've made these and the kid LOVES them... The best part is I can make them with the stuff he like. And sooo easy!

I, also, made the last batch and added a scoop of his protein mix that he uses for his workout shakes... He likes these (with the exception of my first batch/attempt... ;) ) better than the commercial brands I used to buy him. Oh and much cheaper, too!

#5 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:29 AM

Those look yum! I bet you could use Coco Pebbles for the rice krispies and add chocolate flavor.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#6 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

Jestgar,

Yes! I added cocoa to the last batch and then drizzled with Baker's chocolate... (he's been eating them so fast I can barely keep up).

They keep well in the freezer, too. I wrap them individually so he can just grab and go...

#7 Minette

Minette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I started the thread and then forgot to check back for a while.

I might try making my own (though I'll consider what you said too, bbuster -- thanks for sharing that). She started 1st grade yesterday and we learned that her classroom is peanut free. While of course I am supportive of other kids' food issues, it's tougher to find a gluten- and peanut-free bar! At some point it starts sounding more reasonable to just make them myself.

#8 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

Minette... I've had great success making them... :)

#9 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

My celiac child eats zone bars all the time. Do they give your child symptoms?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: