Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Yay, She Is Starting To Like Gluten-Free Substitutes!

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Minette

Minette

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

My 6 yr old daughter has now been gluten-free for just over a month. This is the kid who lived mostly on Annie's mac & cheese, pizza, grilled cheese, and cheese quesadillas in her pre-celiac life.

I'm happy to report that she will now eat an entire (personal-sized) gluten free pizza and polish off a big serving of Annie's rice mac & cheese! No, it's still not a healthy diet, but it's way better than the first several days of gluten-free, when she lived on oatmeal and applesauce. We're just happy that she's eating something. I think she's starting to forget the taste of gluten.

Now we're trying to get her to eat more non-grain-based foods. It's going to be a long struggle, but already she's more willing to take just.one.bite of something without a hissy fit. (Yesterday she tasted some red bell pepper in Thai curry sauce -- with fairly good grace, though she made a hilarious "yuck!" face.) Just wanted to share my relief at this development!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

My 6 yr old daughter has now been gluten-free for just over a month. This is the kid who lived mostly on Annie's mac & cheese, pizza, grilled cheese, and cheese quesadillas in her pre-celiac life.

I'm happy to report that she will now eat an entire (personal-sized) gluten free pizza and polish off a big serving of Annie's rice mac & cheese! No, it's still not a healthy diet, but it's way better than the first several days of gluten-free, when she lived on oatmeal and applesauce. We're just happy that she's eating something. I think she's starting to forget the taste of gluten.

Now we're trying to get her to eat more non-grain-based foods. It's going to be a long struggle, but already she's more willing to take just.one.bite of something without a hissy fit. (Yesterday she tasted some red bell pepper in Thai curry sauce -- with fairly good grace, though she made a hilarious "yuck!" face.) Just wanted to share my relief at this development!

That is a huge step in a good direction! Good news!

Kids are so funny at that age. I have a nephew who just turned 6, and up until last winter it was quite amusing to give him something new to try, and watch his reactions. I can't tell you how many times he got a blank look on his face and just let the food fall out of his mouth. We finally got him to at least stand by the trash, and let it fall there if he didn't like it. But it was wonderful when he got to the point of having the willingness to even try stuff! And his tastes are now expanding rapidly.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#3 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

:) Yippee!!! We have twin almost 6 year olds. We are just a few months ahead of you--we've been gluten-free since April (4 months). Our kids are being much more adventuresome food-wise. For one of the girls, I really believe it's because food doesn't hurt her belly anymore!

Here's a potential glimpse at your future: kids eating salmon, fish tacos, lots of broccoli, fresh spinach, loads of guacamole! ...and our girls have added 10% of their bodyweight in four months! It's incredible to see them actually being able to absorb nutrients!

Congratulations to you and your daughter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: