This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Visiting Usa Soon And Still Confused About Mcdonalds

amber

amber Explorer

We will be in the USA in September (in L.A., New York and Florida) and I have looked that the McDonalds website and there are many items that are gluten free by ingredient. According to the website the fries are gluten free as are the hash browns, shakes, frappes and several other products. These items are also gluten free in Australia and my 15 year old celiac daughter has been eating them for many years and had no problem.

The reason I am confused is because on this forum there are so many conflicting reports regarding McDonalds. There are people saying they got sick from the frappes, the shakes and the fries. It is not like we intend to frequent McDonalds when we are there but it is handy to get a snack when we are on the go. Sometimes there is nothing else around and it would be good to know that we can just pop into McDonalds or Burger King and get some fries and a frappe or shake. Of course we would prefer healthier options but when you have a starving teenager whining about being hungry you sometimes have to resort to fast foods.

What about Burger King? Do you trust BK over McDonalds?

Also when my sister was there she had the low carb burgers at Carls Junior Burgers. They are gluten free according to the website. What are people's experiences of Carls Jr?

Thank you and sorry for all the questions.

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Hello!

Not sure where in the US you are headed - just re-read your post...maybe someone else can help with eastern states.

I'm in California and the best bets are In & Out and Wendy's.

McDonalds - problem with fries, never tried their shakes (I have ordered their salad safely as it is prepared offsite).

Carl's Jr. - we went there a few times for low carb burgers when first dx'd, but stopped after two glutenings (likely cross-contamination &/or increased sensitivity to gluten the longer we were gluten-free).

Have a wonderful trip!

rosetapper23 Explorer

I've been to Carl's Jr. restaurants all over California and have NEVER been glutened a single time. I always order the Star burger wrapped in lettuce with fries. I always let the manager know that I have celiac, and he/she usually makes the order for me (puts on gloves, places paper down on the counter, etc.). The ketchup for the burger and fries is also gluten free. In my opinion, the second safest fast food restaurant is Wendy's, and I agree that In 'N Out Burger is also a good option. Usually, Mexican restaurants tend to be fairly safe; however, don't bother going to Chevy's in California--there's nothing to eat there.

amber Explorer

Hello!

Not sure where in the US you are headed - just re-read your post...maybe someone else can help with eastern states.

I'm in California and the best bets are In & Out and Wendy's.

McDonalds - problem with fries, never tried their shakes (I have ordered their salad safely as it is prepared offsite).

Carl's Jr. - we went there a few times for low carb burgers when first dx'd, but stopped after two glutenings (likely cross-contamination &/or increased sensitivity to gluten the longer we were gluten-free).

Have a wonderful trip!

Thank you, I will check out In & Out's website. :)

amber Explorer

I've been to Carl's Jr. restaurants all over California and have NEVER been glutened a single time. I always order the Star burger wrapped in lettuce with fries. I always let the manager know that I have celiac, and he/she usually makes the order for me (puts on gloves, places paper down on the counter, etc.). The ketchup for the burger and fries is also gluten free. In my opinion, the second safest fast food restaurant is Wendy's, and I agree that In 'N Out Burger is also a good option. Usually, Mexican restaurants tend to be fairly safe; however, don't bother going to Chevy's in California--there's nothing to eat there.

Thanks Rosetapper. My sister was in Las Vegas and she said it was a diffcult place to find much that was gluten free so she had to resort to the burgers wrapped in lettuce with fries at Carls. She did enjoy them though a bit too much! I will check out the websites of Wendy's and In n Out burger. THANKS!!

rosetapper23 Explorer

Amber,

You're welcome....and my daughter is a permanent resident of Australia--she lives in North Bondi, so I know how easy it is to eat gluten free there in Australia. I love your country! My daughter is currently visiting here for a few months, and she took an Aussie friend of hers to Vegas yesterday. Even though it's great having her home for a bit, it's nice when she's in Oz....so that I can come visit!

krystynycole Contributor

In my experience by me in the midwest it depends on the McDonalds and what there practices are and more importantly how strict they follow them.

For example, if the hash browns are gluten free they may have been made a shared fryer with chicken nuggets. Then you may have a CC problem.

I've never had a problem with the shakes...I'm kind of addicted to them :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darissa Contributor

Have you considered ChickFilA? Their Frys are always gluten free, no matter what store. They cook them seperate than the chicken. Their grilled chicken is also gluten free, also many of their salads are safe, including the green salads, the coleslaw and carrot salad. Their ice cream is safe too. Just ask to talk to a manager, ask them to prep it seperately to prevent cross contact, and change their gloves. They do a great job! Check out their website and you can see everything they have that is gluten free.

Here is their gluten free page

Open Original Shared Link

Good luck!

GottaSki Mentor

Good to know :) Perhaps it was just our neighborhood Carl's - haven't tried any others in the past two years because of the bad experiences...my teens will be very happy to hear they can try again!

Thanks!

amber Explorer

Have you considered ChickFilA? Their Frys are always gluten free, no matter what store. They cook them seperate than the chicken. Their grilled chicken is also gluten free, also many of their salads are safe, including the green salads, the coleslaw and carrot salad. Their ice cream is safe too. Just ask to talk to a manager, ask them to prep it seperately to prevent cross contact, and change their gloves. They do a great job! Check out their website and you can see everything they have that is gluten free.

Here is their gluten free page

Open Original Shared Link

Good luck!

Thank you! I have heard of them and I will definately check them out. :)

amber Explorer

Amber,

You're welcome....and my daughter is a permanent resident of Australia--she lives in North Bondi, so I know how easy it is to eat gluten free there in Australia. I love your country! My daughter is currently visiting here for a few months, and she took an Aussie friend of hers to Vegas yesterday. Even though it's great having her home for a bit, it's nice when she's in Oz....so that I can come visit!

Hi, I have spoken to you before on these forums :) It must be hard at times having a daughter living on the other side of a huge ocean but you seem to have a really good attitude and see it as a positive thing in that you can go visit her. Bondi would be an interesting place to live especially in Summer. It is a great people watching beach.

amber Explorer

I have one more question re. McDonalds.

Has anyone had the McFlurry's? We noticed you can get Reese's McFlurry's there which sound delicious as we don't have them here. The website says it is gluten free and are a couple of the other flavours. What has been your experience with McFlurry's??

Thanks!

krystynycole Contributor

I have one more question re. McDonalds.

Has anyone had the McFlurry's? We noticed you can get Reese's McFlurry's there which sound delicious as we don't have them here. The website says it is gluten free and are a couple of the other flavours. What has been your experience with McFlurry's??

Thanks!

I LOVE McFlurries! They put the spoon in a stirring device so your own spoon mixes, not a pole like at Dairy Queen. This prevents a lot of cc! I applaud McD's for doing it. Around me, however, they have taken reese's off the menu and replaced it with rolo's :(

Archived