14 replies to this topic

#1 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

I was diagnosed in May and have been pretty strict with my diet (except for a few accidental glutenings here and there). I had ONE drink tonight at a party (a very light cranberry and vodka) and after that one drink I was extremely tipsy. I also had one and half glasses of wine several nights ago and had the same reaction. My family thinks its hilarious that now I can get rocked at a simple dinner. :) Prior to starting the gluten free diet I was still a lightweight but I could handle several glasses of wine or mixed drinks and still be ok. I don't get sick now or anything but I just noticed that I'm MUCH more sensitive to alcohol and the effects seem to come on much quicker. Has anyone else become more sensitive to alcohol after going gluten free?

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

I think a lot of people become more sensitive. Another perk of the diet and getting healthy - you become a cheap date! :rolleyes: :P
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

I think a lot of people become more sensitive. Another perk of the diet and getting healthy - you become a cheap date! :rolleyes: :P

Hahaha that's what I've been saying to my fiance! "I'm now an even cheaper date!" He's gonna have to be the designated driver from now on hehee....

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:01 AM

You mentioned vodka, there are a very few of us that react to distilled gluten grains. One gluten grain derived drink and I am not only so drunk I can remember little of the rest of the night I also awaken with a severe hangover. However I can have 2 or 3 potato vodka drinks over the course of a night and not get drunk and have no hangover the next day. Maybe try potato vodka and see if it has the same effect.
As the other poster stated some of us are just more sensitive to alcohol after we have gone gluten free and if that is the case maybe have wine mixed with soda, I like to use sprite, so you can still have an enjoyable evening with a couple of drinks but not get snookered.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

Yes! And, interestingly, it's less tasty to me than it used to be?!

#6 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Cheap date doesn't even begin to sum me up now! Haha 😜 So I try to stick to the ciders or gluten-free beer, occasionally I'll go for a Twenty2 and cranberry but look out, 1 of those and I'm done haha (twenty2 is a vodka made here in Maine, very good!)
~**caselynn**~

#7 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

Cheap date doesn't even begin to sum me up now! Haha 😜 So I try to stick to the ciders or gluten-free beer, occasionally I'll go for a Twenty2 and cranberry but look out, 1 of those and I'm done haha (twenty2 is a vodka made here in Maine, very good!)

I have to try the ciders and the gluten free beer, but since I never really liked ciders or beer anyway it wasn't a huge loss for me when I went gluten free. I LOVE wine and I'm just so shocked that I used to be able to do half a bottle with minimal issues but now two glasses has me absolutely hammered!!

Another huge anxiety I developed with my new sensitivity to alcohol is that I'll get drunk and then go eat something I shouldn't. I have dreams about getting drunk and then eating a slice of pizza at a party which scares me to death. I'm getting married next year and I don't want to NOT have fun at my own wedding. I'd like to have a couple glasses of champagne with everyone else and not be in fear that I'm going to run and jump into the cake (which wont be gluten free, I'll have my own yummy gluten free cake that I'm not going to be willing to share lol) Maybe I'll have to try that potato vodka and see if I can handle that better....does anyone else have this fear??

Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#8 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

I used to have dreams about consuming gluten foods all the time after I first went gluten-free...it passes over time. I also noticed my tolerance to alcohol is pathetic now. Certain brands of wine will do me in big time, while others are fine - very weird. I will never again drink Barefoot wine - also it appears I am now more sensitive to tannins in the big reds which breaks my heart since I LOVE a good glass of red wine in the winter. If I stick to a Pinot Noir, I can get away with a glass, but no more. When it comes to alcohol lately, the less sugar I have with it the better - if I have a sweet drink, I'm toast.

#9 bigbird16

bigbird16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

I used to be able to do half a bottle of wine or a few pints of Guinness or a couple of margaritas with no problem. I can't do any alcohol at all anymore. After going gluten-free nearly four years ago my tolerance started dropping. I dropped to where I was more than tipsy at a glass. Finally this spring I had to give it up completely. Even after one glass of wine or one shot of the finest hard liquor -- whiskey, tequila, brandy, vodka, etc. doesn't matter-- or half a hard cider or one of anything else, nursed for an hour or more on a full stomach or not so full stomach, I feel like I have a frat house party level hangover the next morning. Sad to not have a glass of wine with dinner but soooo not worth the pain the next day. Please pass the plain water.
Migraines, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, paranoia, joint pain, vivid nightmares, exhaustion & lethargy, brain fog, bloat, GI issues--all gone or significantly reduced since dietary changes were made

Gluten-free (Nov. 2008), dairy-free (June 2009), soy-free (Aug. 2009), all-grains-and-grasses-but-rice-free (Nov. 2011); double HLA-DQ7

"'Always remember, Bilbo, when your heart wants lifting, think of pleasant things.' 'Eggs, bacon, a good full pipe, my garden at twilight....'" (The Hobbit, animated movie, 1977)

#10 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

I have to try the ciders and the gluten free beer, but since I never really liked ciders or beer anyway it wasn't a huge loss for me when I went gluten free. I LOVE wine and I'm just so shocked that I used to be able to do half a bottle with minimal issues but now two glasses has me absolutely hammered!!

Another huge anxiety I developed with my new sensitivity to alcohol is that I'll get drunk and then go eat something I shouldn't. I have dreams about getting drunk and then eating a slice of pizza at a party which scares me to death. I'm getting married next year and I don't want to NOT have fun at my own wedding. I'd like to have a couple glasses of champagne with everyone else and not be in fear that I'm going to run and jump into the cake (which wont be gluten free, I'll have my own yummy gluten free cake that I'm not going to be willing to share lol) Maybe I'll have to try that potato vodka and see if I can handle that better....does anyone else have this fear??

I hear ya! I can remember back to college days when beer and pizza were my favorite party food. Now I don't let myself get anywhere close to drunk unless I am in my own atmosphere and know I have yummy gluten-free snacks! 😃😃
~**caselynn**~

#11 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

The first year I was gluten-free I was very very sensative to alcohol. It felt like the alcohol was going directly to my veins so I had to be very careful. I figured it was because my system was so tore up, I was in pretty bad condition. Little by little as my gut healed and my body mended I was able to have some wine or a margarita. I have been gluten-free for nearly 1 1/2 years now and I still find that wine can leave a sour feeling in my stomach. I have to be careful not to get too much acid, and always protect my stomacg before I have any alcohol by taking an antacid and sometimes Pepto.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#12 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

I am also now a ridiculously cheap date. Wine will kick my butt like Jackie Chan. It's a little better with beer or vodka. I love mead, which is honey wine, it gets me snockered (I love that word) just as fast as wine but won't give me the wine headache. So that's my special treat, and beer tends to make my stomach feel full so fast that I never get enough down to get drunk. On the rare occasion that I am drinking to get drunk I just drink potato vodka with a little water to avoid the sugar of mixed drinks. Doesn't take much to get me plastered.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#13 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

I bought the sorghum beer once. A friend got one before me..Five minutes later, he ran screaming to the bathroom..."not going to make it..not going to make it"...20 min later he returned..then ran again...needless to say I never drank any after that.

I find that almost any amount of alcohol or type bothers my gut these days. Guess things are still very tender.

#14 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

I too worry about what I might eat if I get too drunk or too depressed. That feeling that I'm not getting any better, so it doesn't matter anyways, might as well eat! (And I totally have a poor track record with doing extremely detrimental things like that when depressed; quitting jobs for instance.)

Ugh, the dreams are bad too. I'll have taken a bite of pizza in my dreams and then there's this nagging feeling that I've done something terrible, and then I realize what I've done, and then I get super upset, how stupid could I be, I try to throw it up, etc.

Oh, and yes, alcohol hits me much harder now, both in how fast I get drunk and the hangover too.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#15 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

Thank you so much for all your replies - I wasn't sure if it was just my body doing weird things again, or this is common amongst "us." I'm going to have to try some of that potato vodka and see if that makes any difference. If not, I'll just know that whenever I go out with my friends, $5-10 is all I need!!! :)

Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: