21 replies to this topic

#1 GF1830813

GF1830813

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have been gluten free for a little over 2 months and while being on the diet I have become very tired, no energy, and issues with sleeping. Has anyone else had this issue? Could there be another underlying issue? It doesn't matter how much or how little sleep I get I am always exhausted.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AmandaRae

AmandaRae

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

I have been gluten free for a little over 2 months and while being on the diet I have become very tired, no energy, and issues with sleeping. Has anyone else had this issue? Could there be another underlying issue? It doesn't matter how much or how little sleep I get I am always exhausted.

YES!!! I've only been gluten-free for 2 weeks and I'm absolutely exhausted. Fatigue was one of my chief complaints before my celiac disease diagnosis, but it has just gotten worse.

I really think it's because I'm not getting enough carbs in my diet. So I'm working on that! Plus, my Vitamin D level was extremely low. I'm now taking supplements. Have you had yours checked?

#3 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

If you haven't already done this...I would recommend a full metabolic panel to check your mineral and vitamin levels. Often times, many can be deficient in B-12 and Folic Acid as well as other things due to lack of absorbing.

After my diagnosis, I had B-12 shots once a week for six weeks. My improvement was extraordinary.I could walk a straight line again and I could speak a whole sentence with success. :rolleyes:
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 DonnaJ

DonnaJ

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

I was just recently diagnosed with celiac disease .. It all came about because I was tired all the time and would fall asleep at my desk. I was found to be anemic and had an iron deficiency. I take an iron supplement and seem to be feeling a little better.
So you might want to have that checked as well.
Donna

#5 Dugudugu

Dugudugu

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

This is an interesting question, because I am in the exact same situation. I am also 2 months gluten free, and went to my gp two days ago and requested bloodwork. Only thing he wrote down was bloodwork on b12 levels. He thought that the vitamins and minerals was not much of usage. He still thinks I am having a chronics disease that make me tired, so his arrows are more pointing towards that direction than the whole gluten issue (I went gluten free after low b12 and low IgA levels, celiac bloodwork was negative and incomplete requsted. I had b12 shots in the past, they did nothing to me).

I am more tired than ever, and on the extreme tired days I am taking a sleeping pill, otherwise I am too tired too sleep. Actually very weid.

#6 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

I always had trouble sleeping before going gluten-free. And even afterward, there wasn't much improvement until I began some supplements. Vitamin B12 (the methylcobalamin type), co-enzyme B-complex, and magnesium are the ones which helped me the most with sleep, from what I can tell.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#7 GF1830813

GF1830813

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Thank you for all the feedback on things to try. I am definitely going to get my vitamin levels checked. The only vitamin level I had checked was calcium, so I will make an appointment and see if I can get tested for everything else.

#8 hottati

hottati

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hi, my name is Tatiana and I have been gluten free for over a year now but when I was first diagnosed I was also really exhausted all the time. However, as time has gone on I lost the tired and groggy feeling. One thing that I didn't lose was the fact that I don't sleep much. I usually only average about 5 hours a night at the most (I don't know whether this is from Celiac or the fact that I am a college student). You can try to do the whole B12 thing but if that doesn't work just give it time it could just be your body adjusting to the new diet. Good luck with everything! (:

#9 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

So this is normal for a bunch of us? Because I'm ready to lose my mind I've been so tired - to the point that some days, the couch is where I stay...all day. My B12 and folic acid tests came back normal, and I've been taking a B12 supplement...but nothing gives. I go back to the doctor Wednesday, and am not sure what to even do! So frustrating. I feel like I'm far to young to want to sleep my days away...
lymphocytic colitis 8/1/12
diagnosed w/celiacs 8/14/12
gluten-free 8/14/12
dairy free, grain free, corn free 10/9/12

#10 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:18 AM

So this is normal for a bunch of us? Because I'm ready to lose my mind I've been so tired - to the point that some days, the couch is where I stay...all day. My B12 and folic acid tests came back normal, and I've been taking a B12 supplement...but nothing gives. I go back to the doctor Wednesday, and am not sure what to even do! So frustrating. I feel like I'm far to young to want to sleep my days away...

You're likely still healing, so give it time. Although it cannot hurt to take some key supplements, such as a co-enzyme B-complex, magnesium, zinc, vitamin D3, and probably a few others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Of course, getting optimal nutrition is very important too, so eating well can make a big difference.

It may also be a good idea for you to have your thyroid checked. See www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for how to really interpret the test results, and what to do about it.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#11 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

You're likely still healing, so give it time. Although it cannot hurt to take some key supplements, such as a co-enzyme B-complex, magnesium, zinc, vitamin D3, and probably a few others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Of course, getting optimal nutrition is very important too, so eating well can make a big difference.

It may also be a good idea for you to have your thyroid checked. See www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for how to really interpret the test results, and what to do about it.

I wish my eating was the answer...I eat healthier than anyone I know! It's scary how good I eat actually.

My doctor ran my TSH levels...apparently they were below normal. No idea what that means. That's the only test they did though. Maybe I can get more out of them tomorrow.
gluten-free 8/14/12

#12 PrettyCeliac

PrettyCeliac

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

Have you had an extensive mark up of your blood? I was extremely low in magnesium, Vitamin B, testosterone and D - which once I started taking supplements, after about 2 weeks I started feeling more energetic.

I also struggle with insomnia and sleeping so I ended up getting a very low dose of Ambien to help me fall asleep. It's 5mg or so but just helps take the stress off of trying to fall asleep. I feel like a new person.

Rebecca
Pretty Little Celiac
Rebecca Black

#13 CeliacShack

CeliacShack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:22 AM

I feel the same way. I went to my PCP yesterday to talk about getting my levels checked, just need to call my insurance to make sure they'll actually pay for them. I'm so tired of being tired!
Colette

Diagnosed with PCOS - 2001

Biopsy- diagnosed Celiac / gastritis - June 2012

Trying to heal

#14 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

I feel the same way. I went to my PCP yesterday to talk about getting my levels checked, just need to call my insurance to make sure they'll actually pay for them. I'm so tired of being tired!

My doctor ordered all kinds of tests today for the fatigue - he said its a tough one to figure out because it can be caused by SO many things in our bodies - but to not give up, that we'd find an answer. It's nice to know I'm not alone...and not totally losing my mind on this deal!
gluten-free 8/14/12

#15 M-Rods

M-Rods

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'm only just starting week 4 of being gluten free, but have had fatigue issues for over 2 years since my back injury, I can sleep an entire day away, if I didn't have to be at work I would be sleeping. I'm ramping up the vitamins now and hoping for some positive changes soon.
Diagnosed Celiac Oct 26, 2012
Gluten free since Oct 29, 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: