21 replies to this topic

#16 Songbird34

Songbird34

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

I have been gluten free for a little over 2 months and while being on the diet I have become very tired, no energy, and issues with sleeping. Has anyone else had this issue? Could there be another underlying issue? It doesn't matter how much or how little sleep I get I am always exhausted.

That is interesting. I have found quite the opposite. Before going on a gluten-free diet I experience extreme fatigue sometime so bad that I couldn't force myself to get off the couch are out bad for hours in the morning. Then it would get worse as the day progressed. I've been gluten-free for about three months now. And all of the symptoms are gone. In fact, I am now running every day. This is something I have never done in my entire life.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 floral

floral

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

I had sleep issues in the beginning of my diagnosis...also, terrible jaw pain and neck ache at the end of a long day. I recently got glutened over the Thanksgiving holiday so I'm back to not sleeping, my jaw is killing me and my neck hurts. The only difference is that I know what it's from and do have tramadol for pain and something to make me sleep thanx to my neuro. Not big on pill taking but decided that falling asleep when the sun comes up doesn't lead to productive days. Let's pray this doesn't last long.

#18 Kathy59

Kathy59

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hang in there! In the beginning I went from not being able to stay awake to insomnia at night! Remember, we are all different and are bodies are at different stages of the disease! Highly recommend B12 sublinguial (dissolve under the toungue) Vit D3 (most people are lackin Vit D) B Complex...I take others, fish oil, Vit E. I also ate straight fresh fruit/veg and meat for months....lived in an area where gluten-free foods not available....finally ordered pasta and breads from Amazon.....soups too! I think it was good for me though to somewhat detox my system from all processed foods! Discovered how good real food is and still do not eat out much or processed foods...it does get better! Stay off the gluten...once you get past this...if you find yourself falling asleep it may be from ingesting gluten...if the gut pain doesn't get you first!

#19 Eva Bee

Eva Bee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

So this is normal for a bunch of us? Because I'm ready to lose my mind I've been so tired - to the point that some days, the couch is where I stay...all day. My B12 and folic acid tests came back normal, and I've been taking a B12 supplement...but nothing gives. I go back to the doctor Wednesday, and am not sure what to even do! So frustrating. I feel like I'm far to young to want to sleep my days away...

I went to an allergy therapy clinic and they explained to me that conventional testing has their acceptable mineral / vitamine levels that are only "ok if you're barely active". They suggested to visit a naturopath and their levels are much higher - if that makes sense. I was convinced I was anemic and my doctor said that my levels were a little low but nothing serious but to try suppliments.. I did and I'm much better (even better now that I'm off gluten!!)

#20 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

You will always find it recommended on here (or at least it should be) that you aim for the middle of the normal range. If you are at the bottom, you are just about to fall off the end :unsure:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

So this is normal for a bunch of us? Because I'm ready to lose my mind I've been so tired - to the point that some days, the couch is where I stay...all day. My B12 and folic acid tests came back normal, and I've been taking a B12 supplement...but nothing gives. I go back to the doctor Wednesday, and am not sure what to even do! So frustrating. I feel like I'm far to young to want to sleep my days away...

How long have you been gluten-free? I felt this way through withdrawal and detox the first few weeks.
Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

#22 LouiseP

LouiseP

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

I was suffering from chronic fatigue prior to my diagnosis in December last year.  After I started a gluten free diet it took about 6 weeks for me to detox and whilst I felt like I wasn't 100% I was doing much better.  I recently stopped taking the diflucan that my doctor had prescribed and added anti-fungals to my current regime of vitamins, digestive enzymes and probiotics.  Today I feel wiped out again and a little frustrated.  I've been struggling with allergies as well so I'm not sure if it is the allergies or the change to regime.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Do I need to check back in with my doctor?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: