Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Maltodextrin - gluten-free Or Not?

4 posts in this topic

I am new here. Trying to figure out if Maltodextrin in gluten-free or not. Some websites say that it is not because of the "malt" but other websites say that so much of the protein in broken down during the process that it is gluten-free. I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere. Hoping some of the "experts" who have been dealing with this longer than I would know. Thanks in advance for your help.

~Kelley

Ads by Google:

In the US Maltodextrin is generally made from potato, rice or corn - the "malt" is not barley malt. It is very rare for it to be made from wheat, but if it is it will be labeled as "wheat maltodextrin" or "maltodextrin (wheat). Although gluten-free additives can be tough on folks that are recently gluten free. Always better to stick with whole foods while healing - especially if you find you are reacting to processed gluten-free foods.

USA Code of Federal Regulations

Sec. 184.1444 Maltodextrin

CAS Reg. No. 9050-36-6. It is a nonsweet nutritive saccharide polymer that consists of D-glucose units linked primarily by [alpha]-1-4 bonds and has a dextrose equivalent (DE) of less than 20. It is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of cornstarch, potato starch or rice starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=184.1444

Note: FDA also permits the use of other starches including wheat. For example, if wheat is used it must be labeled "wheat maltodextrin". But if you just see the single word "maltodextrin" it is from one of the specified sources, all of which are gluten-free.