3 replies to this topic

#1 mom22girls

mom22girls

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

I am new here. Trying to figure out if Maltodextrin in gluten-free or not. Some websites say that it is not because of the "malt" but other websites say that so much of the protein in broken down during the process that it is gluten-free. I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere. Hoping some of the "experts" who have been dealing with this longer than I would know. Thanks in advance for your help.
~Kelley

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html

There are some other things you might want to look at on the celiac.com page, too. :D

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

In the US Maltodextrin is generally made from potato, rice or corn - the "malt" is not barley malt. It is very rare for it to be made from wheat, but if it is it will be labeled as "wheat maltodextrin" or "maltodextrin (wheat). Although gluten-free additives can be tough on folks that are recently gluten free. Always better to stick with whole foods while healing - especially if you find you are reacting to processed gluten-free foods.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

USA Code of Federal Regulations
Sec. 184.1444 Maltodextrin

CAS Reg. No. 9050-36-6. It is a nonsweet nutritive saccharide polymer that consists of D-glucose units linked primarily by [alpha]-1-4 bonds and has a dextrose equivalent (DE) of less than 20. It is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of cornstarch, potato starch or rice starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes.

http://www.accessdat...cfm?fr=184.1444

Note: FDA also permits the use of other starches including wheat. For example, if wheat is used it must be labeled "wheat maltodextrin". But if you just see the single word "maltodextrin" it is from one of the specified sources, all of which are gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: