25 replies to this topic

#1 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:26 AM

The past two weeks or so I have been waking up in a complete panic due to dreams where I eat gluten. In the one last night I was holding something. I began to nibble on it then I realized it was bread. I got all freaked out that I was eating bread. Then I woke up! Does anyone else ever dream they are eating gluten foods? I am almost 6 months gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:56 AM

Yeah, it still happens to me from time to time, even though I've been gluten-free for some years now. Though I don't wake up in a panic. Just relieved that it wasn't real. But within the dream I can't understand how I could make such a stupid mistake.

My only guess is that it's the result of a true commitment to a gluten-free diet.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

I haven't dreamed of eating gluten, but I have dreamed that my hands were INFESTED with the psoriasis that is my main symptom. I had one of those last week. I think it's because I have recently added corn starch back to my diet, and in my dream I must have been thinking it's too good to be true.

When I woke up I could have rolled over and slept some more but instead I got up and rushed into the kitchen to look at my hands under the bright light. Not one single spot. My hands look like everybody elses. But I know those dreams will come again. :unsure:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

I've had one or 2 dreams like that, and I also had similar dreams about smoking after I quit cigarettes!
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#5 Magsirish

Magsirish

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

The past two weeks or so I have been waking up in a complete panic due to dreams where I eat gluten. In the one last night I was holding something. I began to nibble on it then I realized it was bread. I got all freaked out that I was eating bread. Then I woke up! Does anyone else ever dream they are eating gluten foods? I am almost 6 months gluten free.

Yes! I've been gluten-free for 11 years and for the first year I had those same dreams. I would wake up and be afraid it was real for a moment! Don't worry, they'll go away.

#6 HauntedEyes

HauntedEyes

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

I just had one the other day. Dreamed I was walking by a bakery and bought two glazed donuts. I was half way through eating one when I realized, whoops, gluten! But in my dream I thought, I goofed and shouldn't have eaten half the donut, but since I have already "done the deed" and the damage was done I decided to finish the donut and went ahead and wolfed down the rest of it and gave the second donut to my husband. In the dream, I did tell him I slipped up and need to be better. I think my dream was a direct result of my having cravings for a donut the day before and resisted the urge in real life. Can't have it in real life, but did in the dream, even though I knew it was wrong even in the dream. Just wish I was stronger in the dream and had resisted the donut in the first place!

I think the cravings and dreams will get better after I learn to cook with gluten-free flours, just to fulfill the rare craving I have for a baked treat. I found a bunch of recipes yesterday that I am hoping to try. Unfortunately, most of the store-bought gluten-free breads I can't have because they have chicken eggs, corn, potato, rice, soy or milk, which I can't have. And so many of the gluten-free flour mixes have those items in them, so I can't use them. So the challenge for me is to make the gluten-free flours and baked goods on my own omitting those things. I really miss pasta, and so far I'm not doing so well trying to make my own while omitting those things ... it's going to take a lot of experimenting, I think. I am looking forward to the culinary challenges and consider it an adventure.
gluten-free since 04/30/12
IgA antibodies to gliadin, casein, soy, egg, corn, rice, nightshades, beef, chicken, tuna, and pork.

#7 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

I am 2 years glutenfree and have those dreams. I get startled awake, realize I am eating something I shouldn't and think what the heck is wrong with me as I should know better than to eat this. Then I realize it was just a dream, feel relieved about that and end up going back to sleep. Still it is unpleasant to be startled awake like that.

I believe in time my dreams will go away as I find more things I can eat and make more things. I have a zillion (OK, maybe really about 25) glutenfree cookbooks here but there is little in each one I can make because I also can't have oats, soy, have a corn allergy, severe lactose intolerance, and have never tolerated fruits very well. I have tried to have a better attitude and regard it as an adventure but sometimes I just get disgusted about not being able to have anything handy I can eat. I thought I was having these dreams because in real life I spend so much time trying to find things to eat but in the dreamworld I can just relax and eat anything I want.

It's a comfort to know others are also having these dreams. I'm sure in time your dreams will at least get better without having to feel in a panic or freaked out.

#8 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

I'm very newly diagnosed, and have had a dream every night for the past few nights. One night I was eating a pretzel, the next it was in my coffe...which is ironic, because I suffered my first cross-contamination Tuesday when ordering a drink from Starbucks that I was too naive to think twice about. The effects of it have been tremendous, so when I dreamt of gluten once again last night...I was rather freaked out in my dream!
lymphocytic colitis 8/1/12
diagnosed w/celiacs 8/14/12
gluten-free 8/14/12
dairy free, grain free, corn free 10/9/12

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

I dreamed the other night that I was at MacDonalds. I ordered the quarter pounder with cheese meal. They gave me the burger and said they would bring the fries out to my table when they were done. On the way to my table an old lady said she wanted some fries too so they gave her MY fries. I went into another room and found some fries there, and there was a guy there who told me I couldn't eat them because they weren't gluten-free. I showed him the half eaten burger in my hands and laughed. THEN I went over to get myself a drink. There was nothing there without corn syrup so I just chose water.

CRAZY! Is my subconscious telling me not to worrry about gluten but to worry about corn?! Corn IS harder to avoid, and after having gotten corn starch back and then losing it again I AM pretty upset. But if it weren't for gluten I never would have lost corn to begin with.

Or maybe it was just a stupid, non-sensical dream.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 CeliacShack

CeliacShack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

I'm pretty new to being gluten-free, and have had dreams of eating gluten. I wake up feeling so traumatized, lol! It's so funny to learn others have them as well!
Colette

Diagnosed with PCOS - 2001

Biopsy- diagnosed Celiac / gastritis - June 2012

Trying to heal

#11 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:05 AM

I had them for the first year or so....very rare now, but they still happen. Last one was actually about guacamole instead of gluten - I really miss avocados - gluten not so much ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#12 CeliacShack

CeliacShack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

I had them for the first year or so....very rare now, but they still happen. Last one was actually about guacamole instead of gluten - I really miss avocados - gluten not so much ;)

Oh, I would miss avacados as well! I still eat them at this point, although I need to get in for additional allergy testing, because I am still having flare ups. I'm doing okay with giving up gluten, for the most part, although I do miss pizza! :)
Colette

Diagnosed with PCOS - 2001

Biopsy- diagnosed Celiac / gastritis - June 2012

Trying to heal

#13 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

I had my first gluten nightmare last week. In the dream there were free samples of sandwiches at the grocery store, and they looked so good, so I took three of them. As I was eating them this voice at the back of my mind started warning me of danger, but I couldn't stop! The voice got louder and louder, until I realized what I was doing and jolted awake. It took a few minutes to figure out that it was a dream and I wasn't going to get sick.

This was the night after I was making pasta for my husband, and almost instinctively put a piece of pasta up to my mouth to taste if it was cooked enough. I stopped the spoon inches from my face, and freaked out a little. That probably initiated the nightmare.

#14 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

I woke up from a dream of eating buns. I was thinking hard about it, but I wasn't scared, I was enjoying it!

Only in my dreams I told myself. I can enjoy these things in my dreams.

#15 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

After dreaming about pretzels 3 times within 3 weeks (so random, I don't eat them on a regular basis even when I could), I finally went and bought my first gluten free "special" food...Glutinos! While expensive, I have to admit, I'm enjoying them! I've been feeling rather deprived lately due to my colitis, so this has been a nice safe treat! :)
lymphocytic colitis 8/1/12
diagnosed w/celiacs 8/14/12
gluten-free 8/14/12
dairy free, grain free, corn free 10/9/12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: