This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Leaky Gut?

lil'chefy

lil'chefy Apprentice

Can someone give some definitive information about what leaky gut is exactly? I have googled it several times and there is so much different info out there. I am very curious.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

I am not comfortable with saying I have definitive/exact information for you. Below is what I believe to be a good explanation of leaky gut syndrome:

"The theory is that leaky gut syndrome (also called increased intestinal permeability), is the result of damage to the intestinal lining, making it less able to protect the internal environment as well as to filter needed nutrients and other biological substances. As a consequence, some bacteria and their toxins, incompletely digested proteins and fats, and waste not normally absorbed may "leak" out of the intestines into the blood stream. This triggers an autoimmune reaction, which can lead to gastrointestinal problems such as abdominal bloating, excessive gas and cramps, fatigue, food sensitivities, joint pain, skin rashes, and autoimmunity."

lil'chefy Apprentice

I am not comfortable with saying I have definitive/exact information for you. Below is what I believe to be a good explanation of leaky gut syndrome:

"The theory is that leaky gut syndrome (also called increased intestinal permeability), is the result of damage to the intestinal lining, making it less able to protect the internal environment as well as to filter needed nutrients and other biological substances. As a consequence, some bacteria and their toxins, incompletely digested proteins and fats, and waste not normally absorbed may "leak" out of the intestines into the blood stream. This triggers an autoimmune reaction, which can lead to gastrointestinal problems such as abdominal bloating, excessive gas and cramps, fatigue, food sensitivities, joint pain, skin rashes, and autoimmunity."

Is there a diagnostic test for this? Do you have it? Can you make horrible noises with your stomach, only by breathing? Do Dr.s believe in it?

GottaSki Mentor

There is a test - I believe you ingest certain sugars and then they test to see if it gets into your blood - I did not have that test as I had nearly flattened villi upon Celiac Disease diagnosis so I never questioned the premise that my intestines had become permeable.

I don't understand your question about noises in one's stomach by breathing.

Yes, there are doctors that believe in intestinal permeability. Of course there are many doctors that don't see any connection between diet and symptoms - so I have no idea if a specific doctor would consider intestinal permeability as part of an individual diagnosis.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi,

This is only part of an article on Zonulin. The article link has the rest. Zonulin is a chemical that regulates the passage of material form the gut into the bloodstream. Dr. A. Fassano (UMD) researched it. Black pepper is supposed to help reduce the effect of zonulin.

Open Original Shared Link

Originally Released: May 1, 2000

Contact: Ellen Beth Levitt, Open Original Shared Link, 410-328-8919

RESEARCHERS FIND INCREASED ZONULIN LEVELS AMONG CELIAC DISEASE PATIENTS

Researchers at the University of Maryland School of Medicine have found that the human protein zonulin, which regulates the permeability of the intestine, is at increased levels during the acute phase of celiac disease. The discovery suggests that increased levels of zonulin are a contributing factor to the development of celiac disease and other autoimmune disorders such as insulin dependent diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and rheumatoid arthritis. The findings are published in the April 29 issue of the journal Lancet.

"Zonulin works like the traffic conductor or the gatekeeper of our body's tissues," says lead author Alessio Fasano, M.D., professor of pediatrics and physiology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, and director of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition at the University of Maryland Hospital for Children. "Our largest gateway is the intestine with its billions of cells. Zonulin opens the spaces between cells allowing some substances to pass through while keeping harmful bacteria and toxins out," explains Dr. Fasano.

Earlier research conducted by Dr. Fasano discovered that zonulin is also involved in the regulation of the impenetrable barrier between the blood stream and the brain, known as the blood-brain barrier.

Read more: Open Original Shared Link

GottaSki Mentor

Black pepper is supposed to help reduce the effect of zonulin.

Nice - I learned something new today - love that :)

Thanks GFinDC!

koz158 Apprentice

My ND has indicated that doing a blood test for antibodies against foods (for the life of me I do not remember the name of the test of the type of antibody... I will look around for the test info) will indicate what undigested proteins may be getting through. The way I understand his theory is that your body should not be producing antibodies against say carrots because the carrot should be broken down to its basic nutrients before it is absorbed. In my wife's case, she was showing antibody against soy. Soy has been a staple in her diet for years. She doesn't have a physical reaction upon consumption, but it may account for her immune system working overtime and generally feeling like crap. Oddly enough there was a bit of reassurance that came with the test because her antibody count against wheat and gluten were essentially non-existent... which means she hasn't been getting exposed through some unknown source.

I'm doing a lot looking into leaky gut at the moment, but I have a feeling it is only once piece of the puzzle for us. One of the things that I have stumbled across is SLS. I have been suspicious that my wife was reacting with something in one of her medications. She has a sulfa allergy and while talking with the drug companies they let me in on the fact that one of the meds she is on contains sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). I attributed her regular reactions to this medication, but I still believed it is only part of the issue. SLS is a detergent or pesticide depending on who you ask. In any case it is used in her medication to "help it absorb into the body". This is done from what I can tell by denaturing skin proteins (skin is epithelial tissue which is what essentially makes up the gut). I of course not being a doctor-ologist looked up 'denature' and the bio-chemistry definition is as follows: To cause the tertiary structure of (a protein) to unfold, as with heat, alkali, or acid, so that some of its original properties, especially its biological activity, are diminished or eliminated.

... For us lay folks, I think that means burn. This allows access to deeper layers of tissue. I can't imagine that would be a good thing for folks with an already compromised digestive system. Since discovering all of this we have made efforts to change her medication to something less irritating and won't exacerbate her leaky gut issues (haven't been able to make the switch yet here... having trouble with her doc getting on board). But we have replaced all of our soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, mouthwash, dish detergent, shaving cream, and so many more product for SLS and gluten free products. It has help enormously with her completion and she has stopped using a special shampoo to control her psoriasis (not gone yet but under control without it).

She is still reacting at times for no apparent reason. I am trying to track down what is causing it, but I have little doubt that leaky gut plays a role. Right now my nose is telling me that there is some toxin being recalculated in her bile that her body wants out but her liver can metabolize. But I

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

But I’m an engineer, not a doctor so take it for what it is worth. Probably more than you wanted in a post... but I will share whatever else I learn if you like.

The human body is one very complex machine - nothing wrong with an engineer or anyone else adding their unique thought processes to the puzzle of the malfunctioning digestive system - I for one am always interested when someone finds another piece of the puzzle and look forward to finding all of the missing pieces in my particular puzzle.

Thanks for sharing!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

You might want to look into Salicylate sensitivity. I have that and Celiac.

Her chemical sensitivity is consistent with sal sensitivity and so is the psoriasis.

Just something to consider given that 1 in 100 are allergic to aspirin or sensitive to salicylates. If this is the case, any meds that contain salicylates including over the counter Ibuprofen could cause a reaction if she is sensitive to salicylates since it is closely chemically related. Also, there is no test for salicylate sensitivity and sals are cumulative. Many fruits are high in sals.

It is a difficult elimination diet to do, but it is worth it if this is part of her problem.

Just another way to look at things.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Can someone give some definitive information about what leaky gut is exactly? I have googled it several times and there is so much different info out there. I am very curious.

Here is some good information on Leaky Gut.

koz158 Apprentice

@ eatmeat4good - thanks for the info. More light trading... I think I'm going to get a degree in nutrition by proxy here in a few more months. Ha!

Archived