Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Just Curious In The World Of Tests...what Do You Think Of The Genetic Testing?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 c_grote

c_grote

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

If I order the genetic testing kit will this be enough? What do you think of the genetic tests in comparison to bloodwork panels? (so many have negative results with blood panels ) will the genetic testing serve more of a purpose?

Thanks,
Cathleen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

The genetic test only proves you have a gene. Many people have the gene and don't have Celiac.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

The genetic test only proves you have a gene. Many people have the gene and don't have Celiac.

And some have celiac and don't have one of the two most commonly looked for celiac associated genes.
A complete celiac panel and biopsy if you choose to have one are the best way to go if you are looking for a diagnosis. After all testing is done no matter what the results you should give the diet a try if your symptoms seem to be celiac related as false negatives are pretty common.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 c_grote

c_grote

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

And some have celiac and don't have one of the two most commonly looked for celiac associated genes.
A complete celiac panel and biopsy if you choose to have one are the best way to go if you are looking for a diagnosis. After all testing is done no matter what the results you should give the diet a try if your symptoms seem to be celiac related as false negatives are pretty common.

This is so frustrating, I feel like I'd be happiest with a diagnosis but no way do I want to put all of that back in my body for a test that could come up negative!I am two months into eliminating it from my diet and I have had airboorne reactions, and significant bodily reactions after the elimination, I have had many symptoms that seem to be in a healing of sorts. I just wanted something that could back me up....My daughter had the panel done recentlly and her results were negative but I have not seen them with my eyes, I am awaiting the copy. My son will be tested next!
Thank you for explainning it to me...Left wondering why this is all they have for testing, it seems so inaccurate for many! Thanks again, Cathleen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: